Vintage Guitar and Bass forum

eb3 sliphead vs sb450

bramS

eb3 sliphead vs sb450
« on: September 30, 2007, 08:22:09 PM »
Hello gibson people! :wink:

Listen I have some questions... I am currently interested in some gibson basses on ebay!
I bidded on a eb3 with a split head... its no longscale I discovered tho...
and one longscale sb450.
Now I like a dry jaco like growl/sound I heard some eb3s do have a bridge-pickup sound wich is very similar... they have a mahony body the 450 has an alder body.. wich in its turn has to come closer to a 60s jazz wich ofcourse jaco used! the downside on that thing is the bridge is not that close to the brige pickup as a shortscale gibson bass!
Not being able to hear those basses side by side.. maybe someone
can tell me what is the most funky and growly one in general.. and are longscale basses better then short ones?

Something else what comes to mind is these sg shaped basses I hear are not basses that like to be slapped.... is this true?
I saw someone on youtube wich had a ripper wich was unbelievebly good with slapping that thing... altho I dislike the way that bass looks , it sure sounded bloody awesome!
heres the link!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn23gLVVoyY

maybe ill get one of those later on:D also that bass has a nice bridgepickup growl doesnt it!
Vintage basses rule!

jules

• View Profile
slapping
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 12:28:37 AM »
Hi Bram, and welcome

the SB450 is probably more appropriate for you - for the purposes of slapping, However as a non-slapper i'd get the EB3 every time. Listen to the EB3 soundclips here

I never got round to recording my SB450 before selling, but it had a sharper sound

You might also consider an Epiphone (I think you can get an SG shaped Epi with a bolt-on neck, and bridge pickup - can anyone confirm).

The Ripper being slapped is also the Epiphone version, which has a bolt-on neck. Bolt-ons are typically snappier that glued necks (most Gibsons, including the Ripper have glued neck)

If you want to slap a vintage gibson, consider a Victory, Grabber or G3. An RD or Ripper might also work. These are all made of maple.

As long as you don't overpay, Vintage Gibsons keep their prices, so you can easily sell on if you are not happy

Dave W

• View Profile
eb3 sliphead vs sb450
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 05:58:41 AM »
IMHO you're not going to get a Jaco-like growl from the 450 and certainly not from any short scale mahogany bass either.

eb3 sliphead vs sb450
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 02:16:39 PM »
To approximate a Jaco sound, you would need an SB-350 (short scale), not an SB-450 (long scale). The SB-350's rear pup is smack against the bridge so you have a very bony/brittle sound plus the alder tone. With an SB-450, the rear pup in solo mode aready sounds too phat for that Jaco tone (which I personally dislike).

But a MiM Fender Jazz bass would bring you closer to your goal for less money.

Uwe

bramS

eb3 sliphead vs sb450
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 06:52:53 PM »
Yeah well I own one early 70s jazz and I built my own very true to life 67/68 jazz myself... so I covered that pretty much.. its more I like vinatge basses very much and its sure a hell of a lot cooler to play on something else then a jazz for a change ... only what is important to me is that I can play all kinds of different styles with it and still cut trough the cake...
For instance a p-bass is not felexible enough for me (only if u have a really good old one wich is too expensive anyway) and I find the same with the rickenbackers basicly also sounded much to clean for my liking.
I recently heard a song by jack bruce "never tell your mother shes out of tune" man that bass sounded very good and that was a short scale eb3 I saw on youtube... atleast it cut trough the rest of the band very well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W30kJuwTORw

Now I also aquired a song from the guy selling the sd450
http://www.riffrock.com/jukebox/Dragon_ ... eleted.mp3
now thats awesome too cos that bass in there is for sale.. and it has almost no wear on it aswell!

It hard man when u have to choose!

But help me with this do shortscale basses sound better or worse then the long scale ones.. the thing I dislike about the longscales is that the bridge pickups is further away from the bridge then the short scale ones!
But I can imagine that maybe the lower strings sound a bit duller on a short scale bass then a longscale one...

aaand by the way there is a sd350 on ebay right now! but on some reviews on internet it didnt came out that great as the sd450... those owners where very pleased! look!
http://reviews.harmonycentral.com/revie ... B+450/10/1

this is the eb3 im bidding on also.. I first though it was a longscale but it isnt... oh well at least the owner claims its very jack bruce like!
and the split headstock and bound neck do look very cool!

1969-VINTAGE-GIBSON-EB3-BASS-NICE-BASS
Vintage basses rule!

jules

• View Profile
EB3
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 02:10:45 PM »
Quote from: bramS
this is the eb3 im bidding on also.. I first though it was a longscale but it isnt... oh well atleast the owner clames its very jack bruce like!
and the split headstock and bound neck do look very cool!

That Jack Bruce clip is great - well posted! If you have two jazzes I say get an EB3. You'll get that sound from the clip, and you'll love it! You won't get far slapping it- but hey - once you get into that EB3 - you might see slapping in a new light!

HOWEVER - the EB3 you are looking at has had some wiring alterations - the tone choke is missing, and the varitone has been replaced by a 3 way switch. A common alteration and completely reversible, but its done all the same.

bramS

eb3 sliphead vs sb450
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 07:06:24 PM »
does that mean the bass is less versetile than an orig. wiring?
what is the advantage/disavantage of this wiring I must say I dont like the look much on those varitone things much to bulky...
And by the way what does a tone choke do?
Vintage basses rule!

bramS

eb3 sliphead vs sb450
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 06:16:36 PM »
Hi again I dint win the basses... but last weekend I went to berlin for a short holliday and I picked up a s-375 framus shortscale bass
http://www.framus-vintage.de/modules/mo ... 21&cl=EN... some early 70s copy of a eb3, but not a cheap copy really rmarkable quality and engineering!. I had a very good comparison between a really good eb3 epiphone longscale and this old thing, it was so damn punchy and the funny thing was it was very slappable, it had that rough sound of jack bruce plus a nice dark growl out of the bridge pickup... very cool! I do believe the eb3s are really kick ass basses.. and I hope one day Ill stumble against a nice old one on ebay! Cos now I have this I really want the original too!:D
Vintage basses rule!

jules

• View Profile
Framus
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 08:36:30 PM »
That is a nice Framus - very true to the spirit of an EB3, but with its own style too.

Is it a set neck? How bassy can the neck pickup get? Do you have the facility to record samples?

bramS

eb3 sliphead vs sb450
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 09:14:43 PM »
Yeah it has a glued neck yes (its not mahogany tho, could be maple but it has a apparant dark grain to it im not sure)... Yeah the front pu is very bassy,  those pickups are great humbuckers with mega punch! My favorite setup with the knobs are bridge pickup at 10 neck pickup at 6/7ish neck pickup tone at 3 and bridge pickup tone at 8. The only thing I dont like on it are these big srewheads as polepieces on those pups.. nice to do some adjustment to them but it doesnt feel very nice playing with your fingers over them much.
Anyways ill try to record some samples.. so you can judge for your selves! I sure love it! :D
But if anyone of you guys has a masterly good sounding eb3 you want to sell.. you know where to find me:D Im currently selling my best 5 string modern bass to buy a nice gibson back! :D Never thought I liked the warmth of a mahogany wood bass that much.. but I do  :wink:
Vintage basses rule!

eb3 sliphead vs sb450
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 01:38:47 AM »
If you want jaco get a fender jazz,but i think my sb-450 sounds great,true growl,

bramS

eb3 sliphead vs sb450
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 03:38:41 PM »
Yeah I have allready 2 jazzes as I have written earlier... Im not interested in the sb450 anymore tho.. ill get myself a nice eb3 when the moment is right!

Thx tho! but im surely interested in anyrecording of a sb450 no doubt!
Vintage basses rule!

Recent posts on vintage guitar and bass

1970 Rosetti Epiphone guitar catalogScan of 1970 Epiphone guitar catalogue produced by Rosetti for the UK market. Undated but most likely from mid-late 1970, this was the first UK catalogue to show the new range of Japanese (Matsumoku) Epiphone guitars. Interestingly, these pages show the Epiphone solid bodies with a single-sided Fender-style headstock layout - a feature quickly replaced with a typical two-sided Epiphone headstock almost immediately. Epiphone electric guitars: 9520, 9525; bass guitars: 9521, 9526; acoustic guitars: 6730, 6830, 6834
1971 A World of Guitars by Rosetti catalogueScan of 1971 Rosetti catalogue (UK) featuring guitars from from numerous manufacturers worldwide: guitars by Epiphone, Hagstrom, Levin, Hoyer, Egmond, Eros, Moridaira, Kiso-Suzuki, Schaller, and Tatra.
1971 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1971 Selmer guitar catalogue showing the range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Gibson, Yamaha, Selmer, Hofner and Suzuki. 1960s Selmer had always placed Hofner at the front end of their catalogues, no doubt these were the better sellers - but into the 1970s Hofner were slipping somewhat and only appear at the tail end of this publication, pride of place going to Gibson, and to a lesser extent Yamaha. In fact this is the last Selmer catalogue to include the many Hofner hollow bodies (Committee, President, Senator etc) that had defined the companies output for so many years - to be replaced in the 1972 catalogue by generic solid body 'copies' of Gibson and Fender models. A number of new Gibson models are included for the first time: the SG-100 and SG-200 six string guitars and the SB-300 and SB-400 basses.
1968 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1968/1969 Selmer guitar catalogue (printed July 1968), showing the entire range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Hofner, Gibson, Selmer and Giannini. Selmer were the exclusive United Kingdom distributors of Hofner and Gibson at the time, and this catalogue contains a total of 18 electric guitars, 7 bass guitars, 37 acoustics, and 2 Hawaiian guitars - all produced outside the UK and imported by Selmer, with UK prices included in guineas. This catalogue saw the (re-)introduction of the late sixties Gibson Les Paul Custom and Les Paul Standard (see page 69) and the short-lived Hofner Club 70. Other electric models include: HOFNER ELECTRICS: Committee, Verithin 66, Ambassador, President, Senator, Galaxie, HOFNER BASSES: Violin bass, Verithin bass, Senator bass, Professional bass GIBSON ELECTRICS: Barney Kessel, ES-330TD, ES-335TD, ES-345TD, ES-175D, ES-125CD, SG Standard, SG Junior, SG Special GIBSON BASSES: EB-0, EB-2, EB-3 - plus a LOT of acoustics branded Gibson, Hofner, Selmer and Giannini
1961 Hofner Colorama IHofner Colorama was the name UK distributor Selmer gave to a series of solid and semi-solid guitars built by Hofner for distribution in the UK. The construction and specifications of the guitars varied over the period of production, but by 1961 it was a totally solid, double cutaway instrument, with a set neck, translucent cherry finish, six-in-a-row headstock, and Hofner Diamond logo pickups. Available as a single or dual pickup guitar, this sngle pickup version would have been sold in mainland Europe as the Hofner 161.
1971 Commodore N25 (Matsumoku)Commodore was a brand applied to a series of guitars produced in Japan at the well-respected Matsumoku plant from the late 1960s to the mid 1970s - and sold primarily (perhaps exclusively?) in the United Kingdom. The models bearing the Commodore name were all guitars available from different distributors with different branding. Although there may have been some minor changes in appointments (specifically headstock branding) most had the same basic bodies, hardware and construction. Equivalent models to the Commodore N25 (and this is by no means an exhaustive list) include the Aria 5102T, Conrad 5102T(?), Electra 2221, Lyle 5102T, Ventura V-1001, Univox Coily - and most famously the Epiphone 5102T / Epiphone EA-250.
1960 Hofner Colorama IIThe Hofner Colorama was the name given by Selmer to a series of solid (and semi-solid) body Hofner guitars distributed in the United Kingdom between 1958 and 1965. The Colorama name actually applied to some quite different guitars over the period, but in 1960 it was a very light, semi-solid, set necked guitar with one (Colorama I) or two (Colorama II, as seen here) Toaster pickups. Although an entry-level guitar, it was very well-built, and a fine playing guitar; certainly a step up (at least in terms of craftsmanship) from many of the Colorama guitars that would follow, and a good deal of the guitars available in Britain circa 1960.
1971 Epiphone 1820 (ET-280) bassBy the end of the 1960s, a decision had been made to move Epiphone guitar production from the USA (at the Kalamazoo plant where Gibson guitars were made), to Matsumoto in Japan, creating a line of guitars and basses significantly less expensive than the USA-built models (actually less than half the price). The Matsumoku factory had been producing guitars for export for some time, but the 1820 bass (alongside a number of guitar models and the 5120 electric acoustic bass) were the first Epiphone models to be made there. These new Epiphones were based on existing Matsumoku guitars, sharing body shapes, and hardware, but the Epiphone line was somewhat upgraded, with inlaid logos and a 2x2 peghead configuration. Over the course of the 70s, the Japanese output improved dramatically, and in many ways these early 70s models are a low point for the brand. Having said this, there are a lot worse guitars out there, and as well as being historically important, the 1820 bass can certainly provide the goods when required.
1981 Gibson MarauderProduction of Bill Lawrence's Gibson Marauder began in 1974, with production peaking in 1978. But by 1980 the model was officially discontinued, though very small numbers slipped out as late as spring 1981. Over 7000 examples shipped between 1974 and 1979, and although no totals are available for 1980 and 1981, it is unlikely production reached three figures in either of these years. These final Marauders were all assembled at the Gibson Nashville plant, and had some nice features not available through the later years of production, such as a rosewood fretboard, and in this case, an opaque 'Devil Red' finish. It's a great looking and fine playing guitar!