Vintage Guitar and Bass forum

EB3 pickup Ohms

EB3 pickup Ohms
« on: August 26, 2007, 11:00:49 AM »
Allparts sells replacement EB pickups that are rated at 8 and 10K Ohms resp., - what should original/vintage 70s pickups rate at?
My 1973 or '74 bridge pickup is at just below 7K, and the neck pickup's coils are 1 1K Ohm EACH, strangely enough - are these ok, or should they be repaired? I haven't had a chance to connect these yet to try them out (having the bass refretted now), and will probably be having them rewound - but to what specs, I am not sure yet.

Oskar

EB3 pickup Ohms
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 01:52:16 PM »
I just checked my 60's EB neck pup and it reads 28 k.  I think this is more like what they should be.  Anyone else?

jules

• View Profile
pickups
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 03:31:01 PM »
Hi Oskar and welcome

Most of the neck pickups I have measured have been around 30K + 2k. Having said this the coils are supposed to have varied over the years - however there is no real hard data on this. The ones I have measured have been pre-73. There have been rumours of a significant change in the mid seventies, but I have not measured a mid-late seventies EB humbucker.

Whats the total resistance of the neck pickup? I suggest you try it as is, and see how it sounds. If it were broken i'd expect each of the coils to have a different resistance.

EB3 pickup Ohms
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 04:08:58 PM »
I got put in my place on another forum for mentioning the mudbuckers on my Epiphone Elitist and EB3L measured only 1.15k along with a replacement mudbucker bought in the late 70s, while the mudbuckers on my early 60s EBs were around 30k.
This is typical of what I was told.

"I'm not saying this to embarass you, but there is no way your readings are correct. Either you are touching your probes to the wrong places or your meter is broken"

and,

"There are a lot of pickups out there I haven't measured personally. I still know what the range of specs should be. And I know enough about passive magnetic pickup design to know that 1.15-1.17K is not a spec for a working guitar or bass pickup."

These pickups are fully working, I did not measure them wrong.
I thought I was bringing up something of interest but I was shot down.
I would like to know if anyone else has measured an Epiphone Elitist or EB3L mudbucker, enough people have them, come on, get your meter out and lets see.
Pete

EB3 pickup Ohms
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 04:19:26 PM »
thanks, Goingdownslow - I see no reason for these pickups to be ca 1K Ohms, but both coils are identical in Ohm - hence the pickup must be made to be like this. will post more in a few days once I've hooked the pups - sounds like my pickups are identical to yours?!

interesting that vintage neck humbs are around 30K, and modern versions are around 10K - I imagine it's very different wire being used nowadays?

EB3 pickup Ohms
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 06:15:43 PM »
I rechecked mine and it's actually 30.1 k.  So, that's about where they typically are and should be if they are vintage.

eb2

• View Profile
EB3 pickup Ohms
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 12:54:16 AM »
They seem to have either toned down the woof in the early 70s or changed the wire/windings.  One thing for sure that Gibson started doing was to change the materials.  60s mudbuckers have coils constructed of thin fibre material, and 70s used a semi-clear plastic for the bobbin.  The design layout is identical, but I am not the guy to figure out what effect things had, or what differences were in wire, magnets, etc.  Me no smart enuf to do express self elektronically.

One of the things that I have seen happen is that there is a way to read a mudbucker and get the reading dead wrong.  I have written here about it before.  There is something (setting on multimeter?) that causes a half or less output reading.  The last one I bought on ebay was listed as really weak, possibly blown.  I got it home and hooked it up, and there was the ole 28k reading.  I don't know what that is, but that is what it is.
boom

EB3 pickup Ohms
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 01:39:58 AM »
I can't imagine getting an incorrect reading if you're touching both leads properly with the probes.  But I'm sure anything can happen when people are involved!!!  :?

and the back pickup?
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 08:41:03 PM »
how much should a treble/bridge pickup be at Ohm-wise? mine is at 6.8K.
but strangely, when tapping the pickup with a screwdriver, there is no sound from where I would imagine there should be a second coil with polepieces.

eb2

• View Profile
EB3 pickup Ohms
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 08:48:07 PM »
The lead pup is about right.  It is a pretty sad compliment to the mudbucker.  It is actually a guitar pickup that Gibson used on Epis and Gibson Firebird guitars.  The coils themselves are arranged in a standard guitar humbucker layout, and the coils themselves are open in the middle - no fixed pole pieces - so it made it easily adapted for bass.  You get no real click as the middle on the covered pup is filled with a slug.  Just a weak reverse field to give the humbucking effect really.  If you want to beef up your EB3 without altering it in a non-reversible way, you could get the hot Duncan and DiMarzio Firebird/LP Deluxe replacement pups, which tend to blow out the 10-15k range.  That has been my plan for my project EB3, at any rate.  Better mate for a mudbucker.
boom

EB3 pickup Ohms
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 09:07:52 PM »
thanks, that clears it up. a slug, interesting.
when you say Firebird pickup you mean a mini-humbucker, right?
(I have one made by DiMarzio, and it is slightly longer than the EB bridge p.u.)

EB3 pickup Ohms
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 10:00:37 PM »
One thing to watch for when playing around with mudbuckers is the magnet orientation. They are not opposite poles as in most humbuckers.
This wrong magnetic orientation could also be an answer to a "weak" pickup that still has a 28-30k reading.
Pete

Dave W

• View Profile
EB3 pickup Ohms
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 10:21:14 PM »
Quote from: Goingdownslow
I got put in my place on another forum for mentioning the mudbuckers on my Epiphone Elitist and EB3L measured only 1.15k along with a replacement mudbucker bought in the late 70s, while the mudbuckers on my early 60s EBs were around 30k.
This is typical of what I was told.

"I'm not saying this to embarass you, but there is no way your readings are correct. Either you are touching your probes to the wrong places or your meter is broken"

and,

"There are a lot of pickups out there I haven't measured personally. I still know what the range of specs should be. And I know enough about passive magnetic pickup design to know that 1.15-1.17K is not a spec for a working guitar or bass pickup."

These pickups are fully working, I did not measure them wrong.
I thought I was bringing up something of interest but I was shot down.
I would like to know if anyone else has measured an Epiphone Elitist or EB3L mudbucker, enough people have them, come on, get your meter out and lets see.

The other forum was the original Dudepit on ezBoard, and you're talking about me. My purpose wasn't to "put you in your place", but to prevent incorrect information from being spread.

It wasn't just my own experience. I called Gibson and spoke to someone in the tech department. I was told that your readings were nowhere remotely near correct, although IIRC they didn't have an official published number.

I was referred to a electronics tech in the service department of one of Gibson's largest dealers. He not only said your readings couldn't be correct, he had two or three Epi versions there and said they measured well above that.

And then I talked to a custom shop pickup maker. Same answer.

It's been several years and I can't remember which, but one of them told me that a 1.1K reading for two series-connected coils would be a low impedance pickup, like a larger two-coil version of the Les Paul low impedance series. If that were true, you'd need a high impedance switch or transformer.

Since then I've read that the late-70s Gibson versions were possibly wired with 38 gauge wire instead of Gibson's usual 42, but I haven't been able to confirm this. The early Gibson Charlie Christian (guitar) pickups were wound with 38 gauge onto a large single coil, and I believe they read in the 3-4k range. So if this is correct, I would expect the late-70s sidewinder versions to read in the 6-8k range.

As always, I could be wrong. But without some independent verification, I'll go with what others have reported and with what the experts say.

EB3 pickup Ohms
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 12:28:01 AM »
Dave, actually, his first quote was me, and it was DP II.  I didn't mean to shut him down either, just to let him know that that measurement couldn't possibly be right (for a vintage mudbucker)... and anyway, he eventually conceded to the fact, or so I recall.

You have to understand that 1.5K is a very low reading - the vast majority of pups - even cheesey Japanese single-coils - are at least 4-5K.  

I have 3 mudbuckers in front of me right now.

1965: 28.8K
177?: 31.1K
199? Epi: 1.23K

That was surprising, but there you have it.  The Epi/Allparts pup is what you have (the cover, fyi, is identical to the 70s one, right down to the spacing of the holes, so I wouldn't be surprised if some unscrupulous folks sold them under false pedigree - the vintage ones are easy to spot if you know what to look for).  Goes a long way as to explaining why the Epi EB3 sounded so lame to me.  I suspect that the coils are wired in parrallel vs the usual series.  

The variation in mudbucker readings, especially in vintage ones is probably more to do with production tollerances than period variation; 2K here or there on a 30K coil is only 6.6%... they wound them by hand back then so no 2 were exactly alike and +/-6.6% variation was to be expected.

EB3 pickup Ohms
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 07:47:24 PM »
Hi all, I'm new here.

I bought an All Parts EB-3 type neck pickup last week off eBay.co.uk which was being sold as a buy it now by a private seller for £20. It was stated as bought new for a project that never materialised and thus he was selling it on as new. I had originally looked on All Parts UK website for this pickup, but it was out of stock and there was anything from 3 to 8 weeks wait for manufacture, so when I saw this one on eBay, I snapped it up. When I received the item, the fly lead had 4 wires. Red, White, Green, and a Screen. The green and white wire had been soldered together and was turned back up the outside of the fly lead covered with heat shrink sleeving. The screen had been trimmed short and tinned, and the Red wire protruded about 2'' from the end of the fly lead and also tinned. When I tested the ohm reading it was 6.6K which I was none too happy about as All Parts clearly state it to be 10K. I phoned All Parts UK and explained about the pickup and asked them to verify that theirs were in actual fact 10K as they describe. Unfortunately the guy at All Parts could only give me the stated figures as they had none in stock. I have posted the pickup back to the seller today as misrepresented, as I suspect it to be an Epiphone pickup placed in the All Parts wrapping (as it had been opened and taped up). The thing is, this pickup still had that plastic film over the chrome for protection that you are supposed to peel off and the guy at All Parts confirmed that the colour coded wires were the same (although I suspect that the two coils have been joined and the screen cut for installation) and the guy who I bought this from, swore that this was how it came out of the packet and he had never installed it. I am intending to order one from All Parts as soon as this guy from eBay refunds my payment, but has anyone ever bought one of these pickups from All Parts and if so can you confirm that they are 10k as they state and not 6.6K. I have a Mudbucker coming from the States from a guy who rewinds pickups, which he says is and Epiphone now rewound to 12.3K and I couldn't really see a 6.6K bridge pickup mating in with this too well. Also if anyone can suggest another supplier of an EB-3 replacement Bridge pickup, I would be most grateful.

Martin.

PS. These pickups are for a renovation / up-grade of an old 70's Antoria EB-3 Japanese copy. I am also looking for a suitable adjustable bridge to mate up with the narrow string pitch of 16mm. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 07:52:33 PM by umpdv5000 »

Recent posts on vintage guitar and bass

1970 Rosetti Epiphone guitar catalogScan of 1970 Epiphone guitar catalogue produced by Rosetti for the UK market. Undated but most likely from mid-late 1970, this was the first UK catalogue to show the new range of Japanese (Matsumoku) Epiphone guitars. Interestingly, these pages show the Epiphone solid bodies with a single-sided Fender-style headstock layout - a feature quickly replaced with a typical two-sided Epiphone headstock almost immediately. Epiphone electric guitars: 9520, 9525; bass guitars: 9521, 9526; acoustic guitars: 6730, 6830, 6834
1971 A World of Guitars by Rosetti catalogueScan of 1971 Rosetti catalogue (UK) featuring guitars from from numerous manufacturers worldwide: guitars by Epiphone, Hagstrom, Levin, Hoyer, Egmond, Eros, Moridaira, Kiso-Suzuki, Schaller, and Tatra.
1971 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1971 Selmer guitar catalogue showing the range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Gibson, Yamaha, Selmer, Hofner and Suzuki. 1960s Selmer had always placed Hofner at the front end of their catalogues, no doubt these were the better sellers - but into the 1970s Hofner were slipping somewhat and only appear at the tail end of this publication, pride of place going to Gibson, and to a lesser extent Yamaha. In fact this is the last Selmer catalogue to include the many Hofner hollow bodies (Committee, President, Senator etc) that had defined the companies output for so many years - to be replaced in the 1972 catalogue by generic solid body 'copies' of Gibson and Fender models. A number of new Gibson models are included for the first time: the SG-100 and SG-200 six string guitars and the SB-300 and SB-400 basses.
1968 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1968/1969 Selmer guitar catalogue (printed July 1968), showing the entire range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Hofner, Gibson, Selmer and Giannini. Selmer were the exclusive United Kingdom distributors of Hofner and Gibson at the time, and this catalogue contains a total of 18 electric guitars, 7 bass guitars, 37 acoustics, and 2 Hawaiian guitars - all produced outside the UK and imported by Selmer, with UK prices included in guineas. This catalogue saw the (re-)introduction of the late sixties Gibson Les Paul Custom and Les Paul Standard (see page 69) and the short-lived Hofner Club 70. Other electric models include: HOFNER ELECTRICS: Committee, Verithin 66, Ambassador, President, Senator, Galaxie, HOFNER BASSES: Violin bass, Verithin bass, Senator bass, Professional bass GIBSON ELECTRICS: Barney Kessel, ES-330TD, ES-335TD, ES-345TD, ES-175D, ES-125CD, SG Standard, SG Junior, SG Special GIBSON BASSES: EB-0, EB-2, EB-3 - plus a LOT of acoustics branded Gibson, Hofner, Selmer and Giannini
1961 Hofner Colorama IHofner Colorama was the name UK distributor Selmer gave to a series of solid and semi-solid guitars built by Hofner for distribution in the UK. The construction and specifications of the guitars varied over the period of production, but by 1961 it was a totally solid, double cutaway instrument, with a set neck, translucent cherry finish, six-in-a-row headstock, and Hofner Diamond logo pickups. Available as a single or dual pickup guitar, this sngle pickup version would have been sold in mainland Europe as the Hofner 161.
1971 Commodore N25 (Matsumoku)Commodore was a brand applied to a series of guitars produced in Japan at the well-respected Matsumoku plant from the late 1960s to the mid 1970s - and sold primarily (perhaps exclusively?) in the United Kingdom. The models bearing the Commodore name were all guitars available from different distributors with different branding. Although there may have been some minor changes in appointments (specifically headstock branding) most had the same basic bodies, hardware and construction. Equivalent models to the Commodore N25 (and this is by no means an exhaustive list) include the Aria 5102T, Conrad 5102T(?), Electra 2221, Lyle 5102T, Ventura V-1001, Univox Coily - and most famously the Epiphone 5102T / Epiphone EA-250.
1960 Hofner Colorama IIThe Hofner Colorama was the name given by Selmer to a series of solid (and semi-solid) body Hofner guitars distributed in the United Kingdom between 1958 and 1965. The Colorama name actually applied to some quite different guitars over the period, but in 1960 it was a very light, semi-solid, set necked guitar with one (Colorama I) or two (Colorama II, as seen here) Toaster pickups. Although an entry-level guitar, it was very well-built, and a fine playing guitar; certainly a step up (at least in terms of craftsmanship) from many of the Colorama guitars that would follow, and a good deal of the guitars available in Britain circa 1960.
1971 Epiphone 1820 (ET-280) bassBy the end of the 1960s, a decision had been made to move Epiphone guitar production from the USA (at the Kalamazoo plant where Gibson guitars were made), to Matsumoto in Japan, creating a line of guitars and basses significantly less expensive than the USA-built models (actually less than half the price). The Matsumoku factory had been producing guitars for export for some time, but the 1820 bass (alongside a number of guitar models and the 5120 electric acoustic bass) were the first Epiphone models to be made there. These new Epiphones were based on existing Matsumoku guitars, sharing body shapes, and hardware, but the Epiphone line was somewhat upgraded, with inlaid logos and a 2x2 peghead configuration. Over the course of the 70s, the Japanese output improved dramatically, and in many ways these early 70s models are a low point for the brand. Having said this, there are a lot worse guitars out there, and as well as being historically important, the 1820 bass can certainly provide the goods when required.
1981 Gibson MarauderProduction of Bill Lawrence's Gibson Marauder began in 1974, with production peaking in 1978. But by 1980 the model was officially discontinued, though very small numbers slipped out as late as spring 1981. Over 7000 examples shipped between 1974 and 1979, and although no totals are available for 1980 and 1981, it is unlikely production reached three figures in either of these years. These final Marauders were all assembled at the Gibson Nashville plant, and had some nice features not available through the later years of production, such as a rosewood fretboard, and in this case, an opaque 'Devil Red' finish. It's a great looking and fine playing guitar!