Vintage Guitar and Bass forum

Needing Advice (1961 EB0)

« on: June 27, 2007, 06:21:32 PM »
Hi,

I'm in New Orleans and in the weeks and months after Hurricane Katrina Natives were moving away in flocks. Consequently, lots of spring cleaning going on and huge trashpiles on the street.

One day I spied what I thought was an old SG in a garbage heap down the street. It turned out to be an old EBO or EB3 (you guys have to help me determine which) with a broken headstock.

The serial number is: 33179 which dates it as a 1961 and it does indeed have the black plastic cover on the front humbucker. It has a solid headstock which appears to have been a natural finish with a crown inlay.

Additional offenses against this once noble instrument were that someone had either replaced the bridge pickup on an EB 3 with a split PU from a P bass or routed one in to an EBO. And a myriad of dings and such from being knocked around. It has no pickguard and there is a three way toggle switch where the Varitone switch should be. It had been fitted with a Badass Bridge but I was able to find the correct bar bridge on Ebay.
It has 4 pots which are so filled with solder I'll have to wash them before I can identify them. They appear to be in the correct place however if two were a later addition to an EBO that would be easy to do.

What I would like to know from you guys is did it begin in life as an EBO (thats what I think) or was it an EB3 butchered? How can I tell so that I may restore it properly? I think I read somewhere that the two had different bridge locations.

I intend to restore it. Unfortunately, I will have to fill the bridge PU route and repair the broken headstock. Both of these repairs will leave "scars" which will prohibit me from refinishing it in it's original Cherry. I will have to use a solid color. Which ain't so bad in retrospect since I understand Gibson started offering custom colors in 1961.

If you like I'll post pics as soon as my camera is returned from the Canon recall facility I shipped it to this morning.

Thanks,

Ken

Pics?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 08:14:45 PM »
Can you post pics?

look at Jules info too_

https://www.flyguitars.com/

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 08:45:47 PM »
I intend to restore it. Unfortunately, I will have to fill the bridge PU route and repair the broken headstock. Both of these repairs will leave "scars" which will prohibit me from refinishing it in it's original Cherry. I will have to use a solid color. Which ain't so bad in retrospect since I understand Gibson started offering custom colors in 1961.

Wow pretty cool find, sorry to hear about all the loss down there.And hope the right people will help the people down there. I think the "scars" would be some major mojo, cause who know's where that bass has been. Take it easy.....
Aint this great!!!!

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 11:17:12 PM »
Ahhhh,the dumpster dive !!Great find.Id fill the Pbass rout and possibly do a custom pickguard to cover the patch if it looks to lame to you . Plenty of mojo on that baby. Awsome if the orig pup  still bucks. TRhat I would not change,unless i had the guts reworked.Keep us posted.M

jules

• View Profile
EB0
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 01:52:54 AM »
Great find! - yeah thats a '61 EB0, thats been converted to and EB3. The finish has been stripped - headstock would have had a black front. The back control panel has been routed bigger. Looks like the headstock had been broken previously. I wonder if the water just 'un-stuck' the glue. Looks like it was screwwd aswell. Should be an easy repair, as the break is over a large surface area.

To refill the routes would be expensive. You could get a new mahogany top put on to conceal the modifications - or maybe convert to an authentic '61 EB3.

Or just give it a makeover -  a nice refin, put an interesting pickup at the bridge - and maybe some upgraded wiring

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 02:31:35 AM »
put a darkstar in the bridge.it's big enough to cover that mess,
ROCK-N-ROLL PIRATE...SKATE PUNK. 72 SB450, 76 RIPPER, 77 G3 GRABBER,92 LPB-1, 75 P-BASS,78 T-40,RAT FUZZ & BAD ATTITUDE

61 EBO Katrina victim
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 09:55:31 AM »
I'm still undecided. I have three options:

1) I am very tempted to hot rod it. I could fill in the bridge routs and cover the front with some interesting veneer like satinwood or something. Then rerout the bridge for an interesting PU. Sunburst it with the front tinted and the sides back and neck opaque thus hiding all the other filled in spots. Find some cool knobs from like a 30's vintage radio or something.

or

2) Convert it to an EB3 painted a custom color.. To do this I would have to use a reissue mini humbucker bridge pickup however, I was told by Greg at Classic Ax that they aren't Gibsons. And what are the chances of finding a real Varitone Switch? I'd have to use the selector switch from an Epiphone which doesn't wire up or perform like a Varitone. So it would never be or sound like a true EB3.

or

3) Put it back the way it was in 61 except painted an original custom color. If I go this route the only original parts I am missing are the pickguard and tuners (although I like the Schallers it has on it which would have been a common upgrade). I have to guess that 61, being the first year of the SG bodies, represents somewhat of a Gibson milestone. and it would be a shame to consign one to being something it never was when it's possible to rescue it.
I admit this route truly appeals to me

Whatever I do I'll keep you guys posted and try to document this project with photos to share. It's a certainty that whatever I do this venerable old veteran will fare better than it would have had I not walked out of my door before the trashman came down the street.

Thanks,

Ken

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 06:27:16 PM »
Skeezix...there's a place i found that does good work if you want to send it away........http://www.hagstromusa.com....look under the Restorations tab.

I lost a couple of guitars in the hurricane too......later

Black pup
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 06:43:17 PM »
If the black pup is in working condition and a real Gibson one, that alone could sell for $250.

If you did not do the work yourself if would be a hefty repair bill done by a good luthier.

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 09:12:38 PM »
I have a relative who is a cabinetmaker and an absolute artist with wood. I have taken it to him and we discussed it. We are both looking forward to the project and I have the use of his shop, equipment and his experience. Considering he designs and builds custom furniture this is small potatoes to him ( I hope he's right).

It should be fun!

I disassembled it today and was suprised to see evidence that on top of all the other indignities it has suffered it appears to have caught on fire at some point! It's a small spot and not a cigarette burn. It was actually aflame. I have no idea how this could have happened maybe someone laid it on a counter over a stove burner or something but the head caught fire.

It's been dropped, chopped, blown away in a hurricane, and set on fire.

Talk about your MOJO

dig that crazy carpet padding glued under the PU... Lots of mildew. I hope I don't catch something.

jules

• View Profile
EB3
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 12:19:09 AM »
the more battleworn it is, the more it will appreciate what you do for it.

I think it's in good hands now! I hope we get to see the progress and a finished immacculate bass. Good luck!

The point of no return.
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2007, 01:08:37 AM »
My glue came in today from Stew Mac and I stripped the old finish off. It's kind of rough where the belt rash was. Even BIX couldn't remove the glued portion of the carpet padding. I expect the router will.
 Was the control cavity route the same shape and size on the EB3s and EBOs? Does anyone have pics of the back of an early EBO? I can't imagine the same guy who routed the pickup with a cold chisel and mahl would make such a neat rabbited routing in the control cavity.

Thanks,

Ken

jules

• View Profile
Re: The point of no return.
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 02:04:28 AM »
Quick work! what did you use to strip it down?

Quote from: Skeezix
Was the control cavity route the same shape and size on the EB3s and EBOs? Does anyone have pics of the back of an early EBO?

They were the same from mid '65 or so. Before that they were quite different - the un-stripped area in your control cavity is roughly the shape as the old-style EB0.

See pic below.

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 07:25:06 AM »
Wow. Mine doesn't look anything like an EB 3 OR an EB O!

Yep. I can even feel a lip where the previous owner's router went about 1 mm deeper than the factory one.
They must have used a template for a six string SG because the cavity is roughly that shape although the screwholes are in a different place.

I already made a cavity cover to fit this oddball shape so I guess I'll just have an oversized one. I can keep a pack of cigarettes or something in there. I'll have the only bass with a glovebox.

Thanks you Jules.

Ken

Recent posts on vintage guitar and bass

1970 Rosetti Epiphone guitar catalogScan of 1970 Epiphone guitar catalogue produced by Rosetti for the UK market. Undated but most likely from mid-late 1970, this was the first UK catalogue to show the new range of Japanese (Matsumoku) Epiphone guitars. Interestingly, these pages show the Epiphone solid bodies with a single-sided Fender-style headstock layout - a feature quickly replaced with a typical two-sided Epiphone headstock almost immediately. Epiphone electric guitars: 9520, 9525; bass guitars: 9521, 9526; acoustic guitars: 6730, 6830, 6834
1971 A World of Guitars by Rosetti catalogueScan of 1971 Rosetti catalogue (UK) featuring guitars from from numerous manufacturers worldwide: guitars by Epiphone, Hagstrom, Levin, Hoyer, Egmond, Eros, Moridaira, Kiso-Suzuki, Schaller, and Tatra.
1971 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1971 Selmer guitar catalogue showing the range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Gibson, Yamaha, Selmer, Hofner and Suzuki. 1960s Selmer had always placed Hofner at the front end of their catalogues, no doubt these were the better sellers - but into the 1970s Hofner were slipping somewhat and only appear at the tail end of this publication, pride of place going to Gibson, and to a lesser extent Yamaha. In fact this is the last Selmer catalogue to include the many Hofner hollow bodies (Committee, President, Senator etc) that had defined the companies output for so many years - to be replaced in the 1972 catalogue by generic solid body 'copies' of Gibson and Fender models. A number of new Gibson models are included for the first time: the SG-100 and SG-200 six string guitars and the SB-300 and SB-400 basses.
1968 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1968/1969 Selmer guitar catalogue (printed July 1968), showing the entire range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Hofner, Gibson, Selmer and Giannini. Selmer were the exclusive United Kingdom distributors of Hofner and Gibson at the time, and this catalogue contains a total of 18 electric guitars, 7 bass guitars, 37 acoustics, and 2 Hawaiian guitars - all produced outside the UK and imported by Selmer, with UK prices included in guineas. This catalogue saw the (re-)introduction of the late sixties Gibson Les Paul Custom and Les Paul Standard (see page 69) and the short-lived Hofner Club 70. Other electric models include: HOFNER ELECTRICS: Committee, Verithin 66, Ambassador, President, Senator, Galaxie, HOFNER BASSES: Violin bass, Verithin bass, Senator bass, Professional bass GIBSON ELECTRICS: Barney Kessel, ES-330TD, ES-335TD, ES-345TD, ES-175D, ES-125CD, SG Standard, SG Junior, SG Special GIBSON BASSES: EB-0, EB-2, EB-3 - plus a LOT of acoustics branded Gibson, Hofner, Selmer and Giannini
1961 Hofner Colorama IHofner Colorama was the name UK distributor Selmer gave to a series of solid and semi-solid guitars built by Hofner for distribution in the UK. The construction and specifications of the guitars varied over the period of production, but by 1961 it was a totally solid, double cutaway instrument, with a set neck, translucent cherry finish, six-in-a-row headstock, and Hofner Diamond logo pickups. Available as a single or dual pickup guitar, this sngle pickup version would have been sold in mainland Europe as the Hofner 161.
1971 Commodore N25 (Matsumoku)Commodore was a brand applied to a series of guitars produced in Japan at the well-respected Matsumoku plant from the late 1960s to the mid 1970s - and sold primarily (perhaps exclusively?) in the United Kingdom. The models bearing the Commodore name were all guitars available from different distributors with different branding. Although there may have been some minor changes in appointments (specifically headstock branding) most had the same basic bodies, hardware and construction. Equivalent models to the Commodore N25 (and this is by no means an exhaustive list) include the Aria 5102T, Conrad 5102T(?), Electra 2221, Lyle 5102T, Ventura V-1001, Univox Coily - and most famously the Epiphone 5102T / Epiphone EA-250.
1960 Hofner Colorama IIThe Hofner Colorama was the name given by Selmer to a series of solid (and semi-solid) body Hofner guitars distributed in the United Kingdom between 1958 and 1965. The Colorama name actually applied to some quite different guitars over the period, but in 1960 it was a very light, semi-solid, set necked guitar with one (Colorama I) or two (Colorama II, as seen here) Toaster pickups. Although an entry-level guitar, it was very well-built, and a fine playing guitar; certainly a step up (at least in terms of craftsmanship) from many of the Colorama guitars that would follow, and a good deal of the guitars available in Britain circa 1960.
1971 Epiphone 1820 (ET-280) bassBy the end of the 1960s, a decision had been made to move Epiphone guitar production from the USA (at the Kalamazoo plant where Gibson guitars were made), to Matsumoto in Japan, creating a line of guitars and basses significantly less expensive than the USA-built models (actually less than half the price). The Matsumoku factory had been producing guitars for export for some time, but the 1820 bass (alongside a number of guitar models and the 5120 electric acoustic bass) were the first Epiphone models to be made there. These new Epiphones were based on existing Matsumoku guitars, sharing body shapes, and hardware, but the Epiphone line was somewhat upgraded, with inlaid logos and a 2x2 peghead configuration. Over the course of the 70s, the Japanese output improved dramatically, and in many ways these early 70s models are a low point for the brand. Having said this, there are a lot worse guitars out there, and as well as being historically important, the 1820 bass can certainly provide the goods when required.
1981 Gibson MarauderProduction of Bill Lawrence's Gibson Marauder began in 1974, with production peaking in 1978. But by 1980 the model was officially discontinued, though very small numbers slipped out as late as spring 1981. Over 7000 examples shipped between 1974 and 1979, and although no totals are available for 1980 and 1981, it is unlikely production reached three figures in either of these years. These final Marauders were all assembled at the Gibson Nashville plant, and had some nice features not available through the later years of production, such as a rosewood fretboard, and in this case, an opaque 'Devil Red' finish. It's a great looking and fine playing guitar!