Vintage Guitar and Bass forum

Gibson comparison

Gibson comparison
« on: June 04, 2007, 06:09:47 PM »
I'm still new to Gibson basses, and I am intrigued by the huge amount of EB
and Tbird players as opposed to the Rippers.  What are the basic differences, attractions, dislikes, etc from the Gibson players, and why do you prefer it over the others?  I've only played the EBs and Tbirds in the store, so my experience is limited.  I am drawn to the other Gibs, so I want to know what differences I would expect in comparison to my Ripper.

Gibson comparison
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 10:57:40 PM »
It seems Gibson basses are a Love or Hate thing.  They are great basses, but not everyone appreciates them.  No, they are not a Fender Precision or Jazz.  They have their own unique voice and feel.  Most Gibson basses are a set neck design, and your Ripper is one of the few Gibson basses they made with a bolt on neck.  The biggest negative comments I hear about Gibson basses is that some people don't like the appearance or shape of the bass.  Yes, Gibson has made some that are visually "out there", my old RD Artist comes to mind.  The construction of the basses are good.  They seem to typically have a darker tone than most Fender basses.  Keep your eyes open, there are a lot of different styles out there.
Fighting Terrorism Since 1861.

Gibson LPB-3 5 String, Gibson SG-Z, Pedulla Pentabuzz,  Yamaha Nathan East, Martin B-65 Fretless Acoustic,  SWR Basic Black, SWR Super Red Head, SWR SM-900, SWR Goliath JR., SWR Big Ben, SWR Megoliath.

jules

• View Profile
EBs
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 12:53:34 AM »
The EB basses are quite different from a Ripper. The EB basses have a real 'bassiness' that few other basses can reproduce. In part due to the short scale, set neck, and use of mahogany throughout, but largely due to the large humbucker, right up by the neck

This sound goes in and out of favour - perhaps too bassy for some types of music, but if you want a real rich basstone it's perfect.

I find that if you play with other musicians who like a wall of sound (distorted guitars, lots of fuzzy chords) the EB basses don't cut through.

In a band with generally clean guitars (most early-mid sixties bands, reggae, jazz), or a distinct lead sound (late sixties blues-rock, Cream etc) the bass sounds right at home. In a bass, drums, two guitar rock line up it can get lost.......

My most recent band had flute and clean lead guitar as the melodic instruments, and the contrast with an EB neck pickup was superb

The ripper can get pretty bassy too - and in many ways is more versatile, but it can't quite get the fat melting butter bass that most EB fans crave!

Gibson comparison
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 02:12:54 AM »
Thanks, both you guys have some sweet basses.  You EB guys love them I see.  I always had the P styles w/pick (guitar player too) and Maiden was my HUGE influence. But Kiss made me do it and I love Gene's sound to this day on "Dressed to Kill".  I read that was indeed the only LP with him playing a Ripper.  But it sounds fat n thick.  I dig it.   I love my inexpensive Rippers. They do seem quite versatile with a bit more boom than a P.  Ps have that cutting mid tone to me that works great w/distorted guitars.  I always hear negative things about Gib, but I think it's just another trendy view.  They are indeed unique to me.  Martin Turner's tone on "Argus" is awesome with the Tbird.  It's cuz of him alone I think of getting one.   I can't seem to give in to the EB due to my love of the giant Ripper.  How is EB3 long scale in comparison to short scale?

Gibson comparison
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 02:33:09 AM »
i think everybody likes thunderbirds(but not the price)they work for lots of different kinds of music,and look cool as hell.EB's are a little more specialized,like jules wrote.i think rippers and grabbers are more hard rock basses,they are mostly maple,not gibsons usual 'hog.the grabber is kinda weird with its sliding pickup.RD's are active.but i've never tried one. and don't forget the very underated SB450
ROCK-N-ROLL PIRATE...SKATE PUNK. 72 SB450, 76 RIPPER, 77 G3 GRABBER,92 LPB-1, 75 P-BASS,78 T-40,RAT FUZZ & BAD ATTITUDE

Gibson comparison
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 02:41:26 AM »
also,Ripper are my favorite basses.i just love the big wide body,it's like a girl with a big ass! (i am from Brooklyn after all. ha,ha,ha)
ROCK-N-ROLL PIRATE...SKATE PUNK. 72 SB450, 76 RIPPER, 77 G3 GRABBER,92 LPB-1, 75 P-BASS,78 T-40,RAT FUZZ & BAD ATTITUDE

Gibson comparison
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 10:38:19 AM »
I would say one of the things that appeals the most to me about a Gibson bass is the fact that they are NOT made by Fender, and are not a clone.

Gibson LPB-3 5 String, Gibson SG-Z, Pedulla Pentabuzz,  Yamaha Nathan East, Martin B-65 Fretless Acoustic,  SWR Basic Black, SWR Super Red Head, SWR SM-900, SWR Goliath JR., SWR Big Ben, SWR Megoliath.

Fat bottomed girls
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 02:33:17 PM »
,it's like a girl with a big ass!

we call them affectionately "Fat Bottomed Girls"

jules

• View Profile
EB3s
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 02:49:22 PM »
Quote from: Gripper
How is EB3 long scale in comparison to short scale?

I do prefer the logscale EB3s to the shorts - sonically there probably is a difference, although subtle, however I am a big person, and my only real problem with the 30 1/2" scale EB3 is it seems a bit small for me when playing live - although perfect for playing whilst slouched on a sofa at home. If I recorded two clips with them, I doubt i'd be able to differentiate a week later...

Long scales just feel a bit more substantial. Having said this, the split headstock EB3s are quite true to the 60s basses, but the 72-79 version has a maple neck, different circuitry and repositioned pickup - and as such doesn't have the extremes of tone of the older version. This is not necessarily bad, its clearly a matter of taste, maybe a latter EB works better with certain types of music

Gibson comparison
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 02:30:37 AM »
Ahhh....those fat bottomed girls....this explains my Ripper Love.  
Something 'bout that big azz just pushing on you....

Gibson comparison
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 10:13:05 AM »
I guess you could call it a "Gripper". :lol:

Gibson comparison
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 01:36:42 PM »
I wasn't aware of this site til I got my Ripper and was looking for info.  I actually thought I had coined "Gripper" by mixing Grabber with it. Doh!! I see it wasn't me.  Christov, you gave me a new nickname for my girl!  My Gripper.
Went to GC last night and played a Goth Tbird again.  Not bad, but not buying it for sure right now.  Ripper eats it for me.  Maybe I'm a maple fan, but the punch of the Ripper is all me.  They feel like a piece of earthly wood.
Those Tbirds seem like they are made of plastic and painted with about an inch of powdery paint.  I would still like to play a real Gib and compare.  I picked up an EBO reissue after hearing more, and while it's kinda tiny in the neck, I was surprised by it's weight.   Gonna have to get ahold of a long scale and check it out.  I'm surprised also by the fact that the Tbird has survived all these generations, but the RD did not.  I know the electronics and price had a lot to do with it, but the RD is pretty darn cool looking.  Wouldn't mind seeing that one come out again.

santi

• View Profile
Gibson comparison
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 08:46:20 PM »
The last year Jules nicknamed Gripper to my bass (Epi "Ripper" from 97).

http://forums.vintageguitarandbass.com/showthread.php?221-Limited-Edition-Epiphone-Ripper-Bass

And yes, Gripper is a good name for these basses.

Gibson comparison
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 11:05:29 PM »
Quote from: Christov
I would say one of the things that appeals the most to me about a Gibson bass is the fact that they are NOT made by Fender, and are not a clone.

I agree.  Gibson is the anti-Fender bass and that pleases me to no end.

Gibson comparison
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2007, 10:32:30 AM »
It pleases me too!!  I almost feel guilty when I am using a Fender.

Recent posts on vintage guitar and bass

1970 Rosetti Epiphone guitar catalogScan of 1970 Epiphone guitar catalogue produced by Rosetti for the UK market. Undated but most likely from mid-late 1970, this was the first UK catalogue to show the new range of Japanese (Matsumoku) Epiphone guitars. Interestingly, these pages show the Epiphone solid bodies with a single-sided Fender-style headstock layout - a feature quickly replaced with a typical two-sided Epiphone headstock almost immediately. Epiphone electric guitars: 9520, 9525; bass guitars: 9521, 9526; acoustic guitars: 6730, 6830, 6834
1971 A World of Guitars by Rosetti catalogueScan of 1971 Rosetti catalogue (UK) featuring guitars from from numerous manufacturers worldwide: guitars by Epiphone, Hagstrom, Levin, Hoyer, Egmond, Eros, Moridaira, Kiso-Suzuki, Schaller, and Tatra.
1971 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1971 Selmer guitar catalogue showing the range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Gibson, Yamaha, Selmer, Hofner and Suzuki. 1960s Selmer had always placed Hofner at the front end of their catalogues, no doubt these were the better sellers - but into the 1970s Hofner were slipping somewhat and only appear at the tail end of this publication, pride of place going to Gibson, and to a lesser extent Yamaha. In fact this is the last Selmer catalogue to include the many Hofner hollow bodies (Committee, President, Senator etc) that had defined the companies output for so many years - to be replaced in the 1972 catalogue by generic solid body 'copies' of Gibson and Fender models. A number of new Gibson models are included for the first time: the SG-100 and SG-200 six string guitars and the SB-300 and SB-400 basses.
1968 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1968/1969 Selmer guitar catalogue (printed July 1968), showing the entire range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Hofner, Gibson, Selmer and Giannini. Selmer were the exclusive United Kingdom distributors of Hofner and Gibson at the time, and this catalogue contains a total of 18 electric guitars, 7 bass guitars, 37 acoustics, and 2 Hawaiian guitars - all produced outside the UK and imported by Selmer, with UK prices included in guineas. This catalogue saw the (re-)introduction of the late sixties Gibson Les Paul Custom and Les Paul Standard (see page 69) and the short-lived Hofner Club 70. Other electric models include: HOFNER ELECTRICS: Committee, Verithin 66, Ambassador, President, Senator, Galaxie, HOFNER BASSES: Violin bass, Verithin bass, Senator bass, Professional bass GIBSON ELECTRICS: Barney Kessel, ES-330TD, ES-335TD, ES-345TD, ES-175D, ES-125CD, SG Standard, SG Junior, SG Special GIBSON BASSES: EB-0, EB-2, EB-3 - plus a LOT of acoustics branded Gibson, Hofner, Selmer and Giannini
1961 Hofner Colorama IHofner Colorama was the name UK distributor Selmer gave to a series of solid and semi-solid guitars built by Hofner for distribution in the UK. The construction and specifications of the guitars varied over the period of production, but by 1961 it was a totally solid, double cutaway instrument, with a set neck, translucent cherry finish, six-in-a-row headstock, and Hofner Diamond logo pickups. Available as a single or dual pickup guitar, this sngle pickup version would have been sold in mainland Europe as the Hofner 161.
1971 Commodore N25 (Matsumoku)Commodore was a brand applied to a series of guitars produced in Japan at the well-respected Matsumoku plant from the late 1960s to the mid 1970s - and sold primarily (perhaps exclusively?) in the United Kingdom. The models bearing the Commodore name were all guitars available from different distributors with different branding. Although there may have been some minor changes in appointments (specifically headstock branding) most had the same basic bodies, hardware and construction. Equivalent models to the Commodore N25 (and this is by no means an exhaustive list) include the Aria 5102T, Conrad 5102T(?), Electra 2221, Lyle 5102T, Ventura V-1001, Univox Coily - and most famously the Epiphone 5102T / Epiphone EA-250.
1960 Hofner Colorama IIThe Hofner Colorama was the name given by Selmer to a series of solid (and semi-solid) body Hofner guitars distributed in the United Kingdom between 1958 and 1965. The Colorama name actually applied to some quite different guitars over the period, but in 1960 it was a very light, semi-solid, set necked guitar with one (Colorama I) or two (Colorama II, as seen here) Toaster pickups. Although an entry-level guitar, it was very well-built, and a fine playing guitar; certainly a step up (at least in terms of craftsmanship) from many of the Colorama guitars that would follow, and a good deal of the guitars available in Britain circa 1960.
1971 Epiphone 1820 (ET-280) bassBy the end of the 1960s, a decision had been made to move Epiphone guitar production from the USA (at the Kalamazoo plant where Gibson guitars were made), to Matsumoto in Japan, creating a line of guitars and basses significantly less expensive than the USA-built models (actually less than half the price). The Matsumoku factory had been producing guitars for export for some time, but the 1820 bass (alongside a number of guitar models and the 5120 electric acoustic bass) were the first Epiphone models to be made there. These new Epiphones were based on existing Matsumoku guitars, sharing body shapes, and hardware, but the Epiphone line was somewhat upgraded, with inlaid logos and a 2x2 peghead configuration. Over the course of the 70s, the Japanese output improved dramatically, and in many ways these early 70s models are a low point for the brand. Having said this, there are a lot worse guitars out there, and as well as being historically important, the 1820 bass can certainly provide the goods when required.
1981 Gibson MarauderProduction of Bill Lawrence's Gibson Marauder began in 1974, with production peaking in 1978. But by 1980 the model was officially discontinued, though very small numbers slipped out as late as spring 1981. Over 7000 examples shipped between 1974 and 1979, and although no totals are available for 1980 and 1981, it is unlikely production reached three figures in either of these years. These final Marauders were all assembled at the Gibson Nashville plant, and had some nice features not available through the later years of production, such as a rosewood fretboard, and in this case, an opaque 'Devil Red' finish. It's a great looking and fine playing guitar!