Vintage Guitar and Bass forum

Accurate dating (EB3)

Accurate dating (EB3)
« on: March 16, 2007, 09:54:10 PM »
Hi to all you forum users. A new user here. Can anyone tell me how to accurately date my EB3. I have owned it for 23 years and when I bought it I was told it was a 1964 model. Sorry I don't have any photos yet. The serial no: is 198498. It also has the damper at the bridge and still has the 4 position pup switch. Any help appreciated.
P.S will try to get some photos asap.
Willie.

jules

• View Profile
EB3
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 11:03:31 PM »
Hi Willie, and welcome to the forum

the serial number suggests 1963 or 1964, depending on which source you refer to.

Feature-wise both are similar, the only real difference is the position of the headstock crown inlay. 63s typically have these higher up the headstock, whereas 64s have it in the middle of the 4 tuning pegs. The exact date of changeover is unknown, and there was probably a period where both styles were being shipped

I suspect the change occured late 1963

It might also be worth looking at the potentiometer codes - which give the date of pot manufacture to the week. Of course the bass body may have been made and stamped before the pots were, but, unlike the late seventies when EB basses were not selling well, this was probably not the case at this time. In many ways, your pot codes will give a good idea of the age of your bass

Post some pics if you can - its always good to check out old EB3s

Jules

Accurate dating (EB3)
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 11:26:28 PM »
Thanks for your reply Jules. I shall take your advice and checkout those pot codes, and I will do my best to get some photos on as soon as possible. I just checked the headstock crown logo and it's in the upper position as you mention.
Willie.

Accurate dating (EB3)
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 09:21:56 PM »
Hi Jules I only managed to get the code from one of the pots.
I think it reads: 1053500  AT 1376344. Hope this helps. I suspect it may have been re-wired at some point, but not whilst it's been in my ownership. Still working on the photos.
Willie.

dating
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 10:04:05 PM »
willie - 1376344 tells you that the pot was made on the 44th week of 1963.

This sort of confirms a late 63 or early 64 date

Even with a rewire, people generally use the same pots unless they are malfunctioning

lets see a pic

Accurate dating (EB3)
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 10:21:18 PM »
Thanks thunderbird. Am working on the photos. This week for definite. I promise. If I can get the camera to work. Having a software problem but hope to borrow a mates camera tomorrow.
Willie.

jules

• View Profile
reading pots
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 12:49:22 AM »
Quote from: chapmanbilly
it reads: 1053500  AT 1376344

thunderbird is correct - 44th week of 1963.

Furthermore

1053 is part of the part numberCBA-811-1053 - perhaps the rest is under solder? they didn't always identical prefixes anyway

500k resistance
AT Audio Taper

137 signifies the pot was made by CTS (Chicago Telephone Supply), with 6344 being the date

You will probably have two pots with this part number, and two with part number CBA-811-1831. Dates will probably be around the same ballpark

Jules

Accurate dating (EB3)
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 10:47:45 PM »
I have some pics of my EB3 if someone can tell me how to post them on this forum I shall. Thanks.

EB3 Images.
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 05:40:24 PM »
Hope I've managed to get this right. Here goes.
[/url]

Try clicking on the image for a full screen shot.

jules

• View Profile
late 63 EB3
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 11:34:22 PM »
Wow, thats really nice, and in great condition too

Definately late 63, or very early 64. The crown logo on the headstock is higher up until late 63 - early 64 - yours must have been one of the last like this. After this it was situated more centrally on the headstock

Very nice indeed :!:

Accurate dating (EB3)
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 11:59:11 PM »
The only thing about it is the screws on the scratch plate etc have been replaced. Is it possible to get some originals? Does anyone on the forums have such a thing?

jules

• View Profile
screws
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 12:32:07 AM »
Yeah, I noticed that. You may well get some on ebay.

I've not really needed that many, but where I have I just buy modern day pickguard screws and consider (but never actually get to it) aging them a bit

apparently you can age them like this
nickel - expose them to acid fumes (muriatic)
chrome - scratch them up and put them in salt water for a while

Like I said, i've never quite got to it...... If you do try the aging root, i'd like to know how you get on

Jules

Accurate dating (EB3)
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 10:53:20 AM »
I'll see. Might just put new screws in it. Been in it's present condition for last 23 years. keep promising to do something about it but never got round to yet.(Still thinking about it) I have been thinking about putting it up for sale.(can't decide if I can bear to part with it.) How much would it's present condition affect the value?

jules

• View Profile
value
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2007, 02:29:42 PM »
its in great condition - the finish hasn't faded much - so you should get a good price. No one will worry about the screws being wrong particularly.

You could put it on ebay and let the market decide - probably best to watch ebay for a few months and see what similar models go for.

With a guitar like this you can start it low and sell it straight away - anyones guess what it will go for, but somewhere between $1000 - $2500 depending on who's got the money, how well you display it, your feedback rating, how many identical basses are up that week etc

Or you can list it at a high buy it now. - it probably won't sell the first 5 times you list it, but should do eventually.

You can always take it to a reputable vintage dealer to sell for you on consignment (they take a cut, but will get a good price)

Or just post it in various forums as for sale, and see who makes you an offer! My for sale forum is here

Value
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2007, 03:04:28 PM »
Thanks for your input Jules. I'm not a big fan of ebay. Too much faffing about for my liking. Too many fly guys on it as well. plus ebay take a cut of your sale fee. I like the idea of putting it on a forum and see where we go from there. I suppose I'll have to decide soon if I want to sell it. This one's only the second guitar I've ever owned. Like part of the family.

Recent posts on vintage guitar and bass

1970 Rosetti Epiphone guitar catalogScan of 1970 Epiphone guitar catalogue produced by Rosetti for the UK market. Undated but most likely from mid-late 1970, this was the first UK catalogue to show the new range of Japanese (Matsumoku) Epiphone guitars. Interestingly, these pages show the Epiphone solid bodies with a single-sided Fender-style headstock layout - a feature quickly replaced with a typical two-sided Epiphone headstock almost immediately. Epiphone electric guitars: 9520, 9525; bass guitars: 9521, 9526; acoustic guitars: 6730, 6830, 6834
1971 A World of Guitars by Rosetti catalogueScan of 1971 Rosetti catalogue (UK) featuring guitars from from numerous manufacturers worldwide: guitars by Epiphone, Hagstrom, Levin, Hoyer, Egmond, Eros, Moridaira, Kiso-Suzuki, Schaller, and Tatra.
1971 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1971 Selmer guitar catalogue showing the range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Gibson, Yamaha, Selmer, Hofner and Suzuki. 1960s Selmer had always placed Hofner at the front end of their catalogues, no doubt these were the better sellers - but into the 1970s Hofner were slipping somewhat and only appear at the tail end of this publication, pride of place going to Gibson, and to a lesser extent Yamaha. In fact this is the last Selmer catalogue to include the many Hofner hollow bodies (Committee, President, Senator etc) that had defined the companies output for so many years - to be replaced in the 1972 catalogue by generic solid body 'copies' of Gibson and Fender models. A number of new Gibson models are included for the first time: the SG-100 and SG-200 six string guitars and the SB-300 and SB-400 basses.
1968 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1968/1969 Selmer guitar catalogue (printed July 1968), showing the entire range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Hofner, Gibson, Selmer and Giannini. Selmer were the exclusive United Kingdom distributors of Hofner and Gibson at the time, and this catalogue contains a total of 18 electric guitars, 7 bass guitars, 37 acoustics, and 2 Hawaiian guitars - all produced outside the UK and imported by Selmer, with UK prices included in guineas. This catalogue saw the (re-)introduction of the late sixties Gibson Les Paul Custom and Les Paul Standard (see page 69) and the short-lived Hofner Club 70. Other electric models include: HOFNER ELECTRICS: Committee, Verithin 66, Ambassador, President, Senator, Galaxie, HOFNER BASSES: Violin bass, Verithin bass, Senator bass, Professional bass GIBSON ELECTRICS: Barney Kessel, ES-330TD, ES-335TD, ES-345TD, ES-175D, ES-125CD, SG Standard, SG Junior, SG Special GIBSON BASSES: EB-0, EB-2, EB-3 - plus a LOT of acoustics branded Gibson, Hofner, Selmer and Giannini
1961 Hofner Colorama IHofner Colorama was the name UK distributor Selmer gave to a series of solid and semi-solid guitars built by Hofner for distribution in the UK. The construction and specifications of the guitars varied over the period of production, but by 1961 it was a totally solid, double cutaway instrument, with a set neck, translucent cherry finish, six-in-a-row headstock, and Hofner Diamond logo pickups. Available as a single or dual pickup guitar, this sngle pickup version would have been sold in mainland Europe as the Hofner 161.
1971 Commodore N25 (Matsumoku)Commodore was a brand applied to a series of guitars produced in Japan at the well-respected Matsumoku plant from the late 1960s to the mid 1970s - and sold primarily (perhaps exclusively?) in the United Kingdom. The models bearing the Commodore name were all guitars available from different distributors with different branding. Although there may have been some minor changes in appointments (specifically headstock branding) most had the same basic bodies, hardware and construction. Equivalent models to the Commodore N25 (and this is by no means an exhaustive list) include the Aria 5102T, Conrad 5102T(?), Electra 2221, Lyle 5102T, Ventura V-1001, Univox Coily - and most famously the Epiphone 5102T / Epiphone EA-250.
1960 Hofner Colorama IIThe Hofner Colorama was the name given by Selmer to a series of solid (and semi-solid) body Hofner guitars distributed in the United Kingdom between 1958 and 1965. The Colorama name actually applied to some quite different guitars over the period, but in 1960 it was a very light, semi-solid, set necked guitar with one (Colorama I) or two (Colorama II, as seen here) Toaster pickups. Although an entry-level guitar, it was very well-built, and a fine playing guitar; certainly a step up (at least in terms of craftsmanship) from many of the Colorama guitars that would follow, and a good deal of the guitars available in Britain circa 1960.
1971 Epiphone 1820 (ET-280) bassBy the end of the 1960s, a decision had been made to move Epiphone guitar production from the USA (at the Kalamazoo plant where Gibson guitars were made), to Matsumoto in Japan, creating a line of guitars and basses significantly less expensive than the USA-built models (actually less than half the price). The Matsumoku factory had been producing guitars for export for some time, but the 1820 bass (alongside a number of guitar models and the 5120 electric acoustic bass) were the first Epiphone models to be made there. These new Epiphones were based on existing Matsumoku guitars, sharing body shapes, and hardware, but the Epiphone line was somewhat upgraded, with inlaid logos and a 2x2 peghead configuration. Over the course of the 70s, the Japanese output improved dramatically, and in many ways these early 70s models are a low point for the brand. Having said this, there are a lot worse guitars out there, and as well as being historically important, the 1820 bass can certainly provide the goods when required.
1981 Gibson MarauderProduction of Bill Lawrence's Gibson Marauder began in 1974, with production peaking in 1978. But by 1980 the model was officially discontinued, though very small numbers slipped out as late as spring 1981. Over 7000 examples shipped between 1974 and 1979, and although no totals are available for 1980 and 1981, it is unlikely production reached three figures in either of these years. These final Marauders were all assembled at the Gibson Nashville plant, and had some nice features not available through the later years of production, such as a rosewood fretboard, and in this case, an opaque 'Devil Red' finish. It's a great looking and fine playing guitar!