Vintage Guitar and Bass forum

EB3 from 1970?

Thijs

EB3 from 1970?
« on: February 25, 2007, 05:33:14 PM »
I have traded a (refretted, lived-through) EB3 with a Fender Mustang (guitar) today. (did I do right price-wise?)

The serialnumber is 512640, which indicates 1970.
The bridge is a tree piece, factory placed. I read that the tree piece bridges on the EB3 where not placed before 1973. Also the bridge has got plastic string-layers. My Triumph has the same bridge, but with metal-layers.
The pots are dated 137-73-44. So 1973/'74?

What do you think of it?

[/url]
Hombre Thijs... Tabasco!

www.treshombres.nl

jules

• View Profile
EB3
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 10:40:40 PM »
Looks very good. That pickup placement/pickguard arrangement only came in 72, the 3 pt bridge in 73 - so as your pots suggest it is later than late '73

The serial number was reused - not only in 1970 - so you are probably looking at '74, or even '75. Sale of these basses slowed hugely in the mid to late seventies, so one assembled in '73 may not have been shipped for some time

how are you finding it to play? Nice to see the original colour hasn't faded

Thijs

EB3 from 1970?
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 06:44:18 AM »
Hi Jules,

It plays quite well. Not as good as my smooth Triumph tho. There is a real difference in de feel of the neck. The best sounds to my ears are in switch 1 and 2 (more treble, byte and clear). When I choose 3 or 4 the sound gets dul, and I have to ad more Equalization from my amp.
The sustain of the EB3 is really good. It last long enough.

I came over an Ebay-item from someone in the US who made a MOD for the bridge for sustain reasons... (some sort of a metalbar where the strings go trough). Are you familiar to that? Lookes allright to me.

Does anyone have a bridge cap in spare?
Hombre Thijs... Tabasco!

www.treshombres.nl

jules

• View Profile
Bridge mod
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 11:43:03 AM »
Might be worth getting a pro setup done on it - just to make sure you are getting the best from it......

The bridge mod is good also if your strings have silk windings that extend as far as the saddles. You can cut them back to an extent, but the mod bar is another option

There is a description of the bar on GibsonBass.com
https://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/parts/modifications.php#modbar

Thijs

EB3 from 1970?
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 12:00:44 PM »
Ok, will consider that...

Again something curieus about the age and type... On the gibsonbass.com I saw a neckjoint corresponding to mine, but from a EB from 1970-1972..... This corresponce with the serial number. Could it be that Gibson made basses in combining (old)stock-materials with right-dated items? The picture below is from the gibsonbass.com and is the same as mine EB3.

Hombre Thijs... Tabasco!

www.treshombres.nl

jules

• View Profile
old materials
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 12:39:58 PM »
Yes, I guess its possible - when things start to sell less, parts do hang around and get used slowly and possibly out of order. Your body is not an older one - look at the cutouts of an early 72, late 72 and a 73 EB

Yours is probably the middle style - but if the neck pockets are identical an earlier neck with larger heel could easily have been fitted. Having said this, a batch of necks with a bigger heel could also have been made.

The 70-71 necks were split headstock of course, so your neck will be late 71 early 72 at oldest.

Dave W

• View Profile
EB3 from 1970?
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 04:31:55 PM »
Quote from: Thijs
Again something curieus about the age and type... On the gibsonbass.com I saw a neckjoint corresponding to mine, but from a EB from 1970-1972..... This corresponce with the serial number. Could it be that Gibson made basses in combining (old)stock-materials with right-dated items? The picture below is from the gibsonbass.com and is the same as mine EB3.

Could be, in some cases. But couldn't be, in this case. The 1970-71 necks are not only slotheads, as Jules pointed out, they also are 19-fret necks, and they are narrower at the heel than any earlier or later ones I've seen.

Donnervogel has bought several of those bridge bars. Maybe he will comment. In theory, more weight does equal more sustain.

Congratulations on the bass.

EB3 from 1970?
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 05:00:38 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of those bridge bars - one thing an EB-3 does not need is more sustain! In fact it needs airiness, so a simple Fender bridge, while butt-ugly, might make sense from a sound perspective. The bridge bars tugged behind/beneath the bridge influence the sound - it becomes more dense - but that is kind of too much cherry pie on an EB. Much of a straight off the rack Fender P's appeal lies in that feeble, non sustain enhancing bridge and the similarly flimsy bridges on Grabbers and G 3s provide for a more sprightly sound than say a Ripper with the massive three point.

The bridge bar makes sense on a bass that sounds a little thin - not a criticism often heard with mudbucker-anointed basses.  :lol:

Uwe

Recent posts on vintage guitar and bass

1970 Rosetti Epiphone guitar catalogScan of 1970 Epiphone guitar catalogue produced by Rosetti for the UK market. Undated but most likely from mid-late 1970, this was the first UK catalogue to show the new range of Japanese (Matsumoku) Epiphone guitars. Interestingly, these pages show the Epiphone solid bodies with a single-sided Fender-style headstock layout - a feature quickly replaced with a typical two-sided Epiphone headstock almost immediately. Epiphone electric guitars: 9520, 9525; bass guitars: 9521, 9526; acoustic guitars: 6730, 6830, 6834
1971 A World of Guitars by Rosetti catalogueScan of 1971 Rosetti catalogue (UK) featuring guitars from from numerous manufacturers worldwide: guitars by Epiphone, Hagstrom, Levin, Hoyer, Egmond, Eros, Moridaira, Kiso-Suzuki, Schaller, and Tatra.
1971 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1971 Selmer guitar catalogue showing the range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Gibson, Yamaha, Selmer, Hofner and Suzuki. 1960s Selmer had always placed Hofner at the front end of their catalogues, no doubt these were the better sellers - but into the 1970s Hofner were slipping somewhat and only appear at the tail end of this publication, pride of place going to Gibson, and to a lesser extent Yamaha. In fact this is the last Selmer catalogue to include the many Hofner hollow bodies (Committee, President, Senator etc) that had defined the companies output for so many years - to be replaced in the 1972 catalogue by generic solid body 'copies' of Gibson and Fender models. A number of new Gibson models are included for the first time: the SG-100 and SG-200 six string guitars and the SB-300 and SB-400 basses.
1968 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1968/1969 Selmer guitar catalogue (printed July 1968), showing the entire range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Hofner, Gibson, Selmer and Giannini. Selmer were the exclusive United Kingdom distributors of Hofner and Gibson at the time, and this catalogue contains a total of 18 electric guitars, 7 bass guitars, 37 acoustics, and 2 Hawaiian guitars - all produced outside the UK and imported by Selmer, with UK prices included in guineas. This catalogue saw the (re-)introduction of the late sixties Gibson Les Paul Custom and Les Paul Standard (see page 69) and the short-lived Hofner Club 70. Other electric models include: HOFNER ELECTRICS: Committee, Verithin 66, Ambassador, President, Senator, Galaxie, HOFNER BASSES: Violin bass, Verithin bass, Senator bass, Professional bass GIBSON ELECTRICS: Barney Kessel, ES-330TD, ES-335TD, ES-345TD, ES-175D, ES-125CD, SG Standard, SG Junior, SG Special GIBSON BASSES: EB-0, EB-2, EB-3 - plus a LOT of acoustics branded Gibson, Hofner, Selmer and Giannini
1961 Hofner Colorama IHofner Colorama was the name UK distributor Selmer gave to a series of solid and semi-solid guitars built by Hofner for distribution in the UK. The construction and specifications of the guitars varied over the period of production, but by 1961 it was a totally solid, double cutaway instrument, with a set neck, translucent cherry finish, six-in-a-row headstock, and Hofner Diamond logo pickups. Available as a single or dual pickup guitar, this sngle pickup version would have been sold in mainland Europe as the Hofner 161.
1971 Commodore N25 (Matsumoku)Commodore was a brand applied to a series of guitars produced in Japan at the well-respected Matsumoku plant from the late 1960s to the mid 1970s - and sold primarily (perhaps exclusively?) in the United Kingdom. The models bearing the Commodore name were all guitars available from different distributors with different branding. Although there may have been some minor changes in appointments (specifically headstock branding) most had the same basic bodies, hardware and construction. Equivalent models to the Commodore N25 (and this is by no means an exhaustive list) include the Aria 5102T, Conrad 5102T(?), Electra 2221, Lyle 5102T, Ventura V-1001, Univox Coily - and most famously the Epiphone 5102T / Epiphone EA-250.
1960 Hofner Colorama IIThe Hofner Colorama was the name given by Selmer to a series of solid (and semi-solid) body Hofner guitars distributed in the United Kingdom between 1958 and 1965. The Colorama name actually applied to some quite different guitars over the period, but in 1960 it was a very light, semi-solid, set necked guitar with one (Colorama I) or two (Colorama II, as seen here) Toaster pickups. Although an entry-level guitar, it was very well-built, and a fine playing guitar; certainly a step up (at least in terms of craftsmanship) from many of the Colorama guitars that would follow, and a good deal of the guitars available in Britain circa 1960.
1971 Epiphone 1820 (ET-280) bassBy the end of the 1960s, a decision had been made to move Epiphone guitar production from the USA (at the Kalamazoo plant where Gibson guitars were made), to Matsumoto in Japan, creating a line of guitars and basses significantly less expensive than the USA-built models (actually less than half the price). The Matsumoku factory had been producing guitars for export for some time, but the 1820 bass (alongside a number of guitar models and the 5120 electric acoustic bass) were the first Epiphone models to be made there. These new Epiphones were based on existing Matsumoku guitars, sharing body shapes, and hardware, but the Epiphone line was somewhat upgraded, with inlaid logos and a 2x2 peghead configuration. Over the course of the 70s, the Japanese output improved dramatically, and in many ways these early 70s models are a low point for the brand. Having said this, there are a lot worse guitars out there, and as well as being historically important, the 1820 bass can certainly provide the goods when required.
1981 Gibson MarauderProduction of Bill Lawrence's Gibson Marauder began in 1974, with production peaking in 1978. But by 1980 the model was officially discontinued, though very small numbers slipped out as late as spring 1981. Over 7000 examples shipped between 1974 and 1979, and although no totals are available for 1980 and 1981, it is unlikely production reached three figures in either of these years. These final Marauders were all assembled at the Gibson Nashville plant, and had some nice features not available through the later years of production, such as a rosewood fretboard, and in this case, an opaque 'Devil Red' finish. It's a great looking and fine playing guitar!