Vintage Guitar and Bass forum

Gonna get me an EB-3...(got a white reissue instead)

« on: September 01, 2006, 10:30:39 AM »
First of all, hello everybody.  :) Great website. You lot look like an enthusiastic bunch, so i thought i'd sign up.

So i've been eyeing EB-3s for a while now and i'm about to take the plunge and grab me a vintage bass. I've always loved the SG shape and so i'm looking for a 70s EB-3, preferably walnut/74
My band has a classic rock vibe, à la Kings of Leon, Stones, Zeppelin, The Who etc, but with a modern slant. No fancy effects, currently just my T-Bird plugged into my Ampeg via my curly lead.

So my questions to those who own EB-3s is, do you think this bass would be a good addition to my arsenal, considering i like a low, fat, boomy sound? Think "Sympathy" when Keith Richards is going for it on the bass towards the end of the track (i know it was a P-bass, but hey). Or most of the KoL material, "Four Kicks" etc.
Also, what kind of strings would you recommend? I know sound/tone is very personal/subjective, but i'm just loooking for advice from EB-3 owners who can talk from experience. I have always used roundwound or halfwounds on my T-bird and Jazz bass. Although i do have a set of flats at home, i've never got round to putting them on, in case i hate them lol. I understand they deaden fairly rapidly?

Any advice/discourse it appreciated.  :wink:

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 12:23:34 PM »
Welcome Thunderfingers.

I haven't got a lot of experience of the post 1971 EB-3's but I have 2 late 60's and 1 early 70's slotted headstock version. I really love mine and use LaBella Deep Talkin' flatwounds on them.

I prefer the late 60's early 70's models (pre 1972) because I like the neck profile of those models compared with the other eras. I'm not so keen on the post 72 models as they started using maple necks (I'm more of a mahogany fan myself). and they moved the position of the neck pup.

I play in a classic rock power trio myself so like plenty of bottom end to fill out the sound.

You should try some different ones out though to see what you think.

G

www.motherlodeonline.co.uk

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 01:23:11 PM »
Hi, I have a 1978 (very late, so) EB3 walnut. I think that the only difference with the one you are looking (early 70's) for is the shape of the tuning ears, but all the rest is supposed to be the same. I must say that it is a great bass and the sound is typical sub bass (aka MUD) coming out of the big humbucker. I have tried (just for few minutes) one 64ish model and a slotted headstock one once and, as far as i can remember, there was not so much difference in the kind of sound. But some people say that the early ones were even more bassy than the later ones. Gibson probably tried hard to tame the boomy sound by changing neck wood to maple and by movin a bit the humbucker towards the bridge. I think they weren't successfully at that as mine is still a woofer blower. Anyway you can dial a variety of sounds by acting on the varitone positions that involve also the rear mini humbucker.

I have tried GHS precision flats on it --> thumpy and bassy as hell, but they were limiting tonal changes of the varitone.
Then I placed TI jazz flats on it and I'm very satisfied with them, even if they are a bit low tension, given the short scale of the EB3.

If you find one i recommend to buy it, as I think it is a great bass and also that the Gibson reissue of it is another thing compared.

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 02:00:09 PM »
Thanks for your input guys. So it sounds as if flats are perhaps a good call.  I haven't yet been brave enough to try them out. I may well love them.
I'm also a mahogany fan Rumblekat. I have a Gibson SG guitar amongst my humble collection of instruments. But i think it comes down to price really. 60s EB-3s seem to be just a little over my budget. I will however attempt to try out as many as i can before i purchase. However, there just aren't that many places to find them. Plus you pay twice as much here in the UK  :(

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 04:04:44 PM »
I agree UK prices are high,  I was really lucky with mine that I got at good prices from private sellers.

I'd recommend buying from Ebay USA as I got a cracking 1971 Les Paul Bass from there and even after tax and shipping it was half the price you'd pay from the Denmark St shops in London.

It's just a matter of waiting for the right one to come up :) .

G

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 05:12:47 PM »
Personally, I find that the 70s post-slothead (series 2) EB3s are not as muddish as the earlier 60s ones.  This, in fact may be (slightly) better for a classic rock band - a smidge more deffenition to the sound to help cut through the typical classic rock guitar wall, but still plenty of woof.

jules

• View Profile
walnut EB3
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 07:25:04 PM »
Hi Thunder

I assume you are also going for the Kings of Leon look. I've seen bass player Jarad with a walnut 70s eb3 - I actually emailed him to ask for an interview, but got no reply. He uses a few Gibson basses

heres my 1972 walnut EB3

The difference between a 60s and 70s is more about size, neck thickness etc - yes there are tonal differences, but these are small compared to the difference between the sound of any EB and a Thunderbird or Fender Jazz

And i'd definately put flats on it.

I'd also buy from the states - scope out ebay.com - don't be afraid to ask people to ship to the UK, when the add states they wont. Above all be patient. Yes 60s EBs can go for over a thousand dollars, but the regularly go for less. Postage with USPS can be had for $100 or so, plus between £70-£150 tax this end.

good luck - I hope you'll post pics when you get something!

Jules

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 07:31:18 PM »
Quote from: RUMBLEKAT
I agree UK prices are high,  I was really lucky with mine that I got at good prices from private sellers.

I'd recommend buying from Ebay USA as I got a cracking 1971 Les Paul Bass from there and even after tax and shipping it was half the price you'd pay from the Denmark St shops in London.

It's just a matter of waiting for the right one to come up :) .

G

I have actually been eyeing US stores/sites who ship here and seen some guitars which would, as you say, work out at half the price. The only sweat is hoping it arrives in one piece and it's as good as the photos make out. I do like to try gear out first. Worth the risk though if you're going to save £500 or so.

jules

• View Profile
paypal
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 09:11:08 PM »
Make sure you pay with paypal, and the seller has some feedback. That way you have one month to complain. Paypal will refund you if it doesn't turn up, and sometimes if the seller misrepresented it.If my item has not arrived on day 29, I complain to paypal by default. If the seller can't show proof of postage you get an instant refund, if they can, the complaint is registered and if it still never arrives, you are covered because you complained in time.

Postal damage is a possibility, but usually occurs because the seller packed inappropriately

Ask before bidding, how the guitar will be packed. A guitar in a hard case is usually fine, my breaks have occured when the seller used too thin cardboard boxes. If you are in doubt, consider paying extra and getting the seller to buy a decent gig bag.....

When something happens, and you rely on postal insurance, the seller (being the one that bought the insurance) has to claim. After 1 month is up, paypal will not help at all, so you are relying on the honesty of the seller.

I have bought at least 40 basses on ebay over the last few years, 2 have turned up snapped, 1 never arrived and the rest were fine.

50% were slightly worse than described, 25% were about right, and 25% were a little better.

Always be suspicious if someone 'doesn't know anything about guitars' or is 'selling for a friend' . You can often get a bargain here, but equally this can be a way of not mentioning a warped neck, broken truss rod etc

Prices are good in summer, but go up around Christmas. The last two  months have seen some real bargains.

I bought a 1969 EB3 that needs £100 work (badly broken headstock) and a refin (if I can be bothered) for $350 a couple months back. This will never be as valuable as a mint one, but is a great way to get a sixties EB3 without having to pay stupid UK prices.

I also got a really badly mauled split headstock EB3L for $150. Yes it needs a refin and some major rout filling, but if redone a solid colour will be totally restorable for way less than the cost of an unbroken one.

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 10:33:42 AM »
Jules, thanks for your advice. Your 72 EB-3 is lovely!! Just the sort of thing i'd be looking for. Yeah, i have a bit of a KoL thing going on. ;)
If i bought vintage i think i'd like it to be clean/all original parts. I'm still weighing up my options however. I've actually found a new white Gibson SG reissue (always loved the white EB-3s) at a reasonable price. I may yet head in that direction possibly.
Did someone here mention that the reissues were decent? Reviews i've read online have been full of praise predominantly. I just wish they had that worn/vintage look  :D

jules

• View Profile
SG reissue
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 02:38:18 PM »
Rumblekat and I went to coda in stevenage laste week - and tried one. I'd say it was a very nice bass. Looked like it needed a bit of tweaking - the pole pieces were inexplicably low, but generally I was impressed.

I was actually going to evaluate the thunderbird studio, but I really didn't like it. Yes it sounded good, but the headstock angle was all wrong. Just didn't like the look. There was a white SG reissue in coda too.

It will be a rare bass if you get one. I'm sure they will be discontinued soon, but at that price you can get a pristine vintge one from the US and still have change.

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 04:59:28 PM »
This is what i was thinking too, that the white SG reissues will be discontinued and rarer later on.

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 01:49:06 PM »
So I enquired about an early 70s EB-3 in a store in the States which ships internationally. However, they said they weren't interested in shipping the guitar  :cry:

Looks like it's going to have to be a reissue then. Denmark Street (rare & vintage guitars) is too much of a rip off.

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2006, 09:08:26 AM »
Hi thunderfingers, there is an EB-3 (I think this one is from the very last years, say '77/78? of production -- look at 70's body shape and PU + shape of tuning keys) on ebay US now.
Have a look at it, maybe ask if the guy does international shipping. I think the price should not go high on this one, but the bass is very nice. I have one exactly like this and i like it a lot.
When I bought mine i was evaluating the possibility of buying it or the SG reissue. I opted for the real thing and I did not regret!

1970s Gibson EB3 bass

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2006, 11:07:40 PM »
I bought one of the White reissues and it's cool.
Plays and sounds very good. Well worth the price.

Recent posts on vintage guitar and bass

1970 Rosetti Epiphone guitar catalogScan of 1970 Epiphone guitar catalogue produced by Rosetti for the UK market. Undated but most likely from mid-late 1970, this was the first UK catalogue to show the new range of Japanese (Matsumoku) Epiphone guitars. Interestingly, these pages show the Epiphone solid bodies with a single-sided Fender-style headstock layout - a feature quickly replaced with a typical two-sided Epiphone headstock almost immediately. Epiphone electric guitars: 9520, 9525; bass guitars: 9521, 9526; acoustic guitars: 6730, 6830, 6834
1971 A World of Guitars by Rosetti catalogueScan of 1971 Rosetti catalogue (UK) featuring guitars from from numerous manufacturers worldwide: guitars by Epiphone, Hagstrom, Levin, Hoyer, Egmond, Eros, Moridaira, Kiso-Suzuki, Schaller, and Tatra.
1971 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1971 Selmer guitar catalogue showing the range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Gibson, Yamaha, Selmer, Hofner and Suzuki. 1960s Selmer had always placed Hofner at the front end of their catalogues, no doubt these were the better sellers - but into the 1970s Hofner were slipping somewhat and only appear at the tail end of this publication, pride of place going to Gibson, and to a lesser extent Yamaha. In fact this is the last Selmer catalogue to include the many Hofner hollow bodies (Committee, President, Senator etc) that had defined the companies output for so many years - to be replaced in the 1972 catalogue by generic solid body 'copies' of Gibson and Fender models. A number of new Gibson models are included for the first time: the SG-100 and SG-200 six string guitars and the SB-300 and SB-400 basses.
1968 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1968/1969 Selmer guitar catalogue (printed July 1968), showing the entire range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Hofner, Gibson, Selmer and Giannini. Selmer were the exclusive United Kingdom distributors of Hofner and Gibson at the time, and this catalogue contains a total of 18 electric guitars, 7 bass guitars, 37 acoustics, and 2 Hawaiian guitars - all produced outside the UK and imported by Selmer, with UK prices included in guineas. This catalogue saw the (re-)introduction of the late sixties Gibson Les Paul Custom and Les Paul Standard (see page 69) and the short-lived Hofner Club 70. Other electric models include: HOFNER ELECTRICS: Committee, Verithin 66, Ambassador, President, Senator, Galaxie, HOFNER BASSES: Violin bass, Verithin bass, Senator bass, Professional bass GIBSON ELECTRICS: Barney Kessel, ES-330TD, ES-335TD, ES-345TD, ES-175D, ES-125CD, SG Standard, SG Junior, SG Special GIBSON BASSES: EB-0, EB-2, EB-3 - plus a LOT of acoustics branded Gibson, Hofner, Selmer and Giannini
1961 Hofner Colorama IHofner Colorama was the name UK distributor Selmer gave to a series of solid and semi-solid guitars built by Hofner for distribution in the UK. The construction and specifications of the guitars varied over the period of production, but by 1961 it was a totally solid, double cutaway instrument, with a set neck, translucent cherry finish, six-in-a-row headstock, and Hofner Diamond logo pickups. Available as a single or dual pickup guitar, this sngle pickup version would have been sold in mainland Europe as the Hofner 161.
1971 Commodore N25 (Matsumoku)Commodore was a brand applied to a series of guitars produced in Japan at the well-respected Matsumoku plant from the late 1960s to the mid 1970s - and sold primarily (perhaps exclusively?) in the United Kingdom. The models bearing the Commodore name were all guitars available from different distributors with different branding. Although there may have been some minor changes in appointments (specifically headstock branding) most had the same basic bodies, hardware and construction. Equivalent models to the Commodore N25 (and this is by no means an exhaustive list) include the Aria 5102T, Conrad 5102T(?), Electra 2221, Lyle 5102T, Ventura V-1001, Univox Coily - and most famously the Epiphone 5102T / Epiphone EA-250.
1960 Hofner Colorama IIThe Hofner Colorama was the name given by Selmer to a series of solid (and semi-solid) body Hofner guitars distributed in the United Kingdom between 1958 and 1965. The Colorama name actually applied to some quite different guitars over the period, but in 1960 it was a very light, semi-solid, set necked guitar with one (Colorama I) or two (Colorama II, as seen here) Toaster pickups. Although an entry-level guitar, it was very well-built, and a fine playing guitar; certainly a step up (at least in terms of craftsmanship) from many of the Colorama guitars that would follow, and a good deal of the guitars available in Britain circa 1960.
1971 Epiphone 1820 (ET-280) bassBy the end of the 1960s, a decision had been made to move Epiphone guitar production from the USA (at the Kalamazoo plant where Gibson guitars were made), to Matsumoto in Japan, creating a line of guitars and basses significantly less expensive than the USA-built models (actually less than half the price). The Matsumoku factory had been producing guitars for export for some time, but the 1820 bass (alongside a number of guitar models and the 5120 electric acoustic bass) were the first Epiphone models to be made there. These new Epiphones were based on existing Matsumoku guitars, sharing body shapes, and hardware, but the Epiphone line was somewhat upgraded, with inlaid logos and a 2x2 peghead configuration. Over the course of the 70s, the Japanese output improved dramatically, and in many ways these early 70s models are a low point for the brand. Having said this, there are a lot worse guitars out there, and as well as being historically important, the 1820 bass can certainly provide the goods when required.
1981 Gibson MarauderProduction of Bill Lawrence's Gibson Marauder began in 1974, with production peaking in 1978. But by 1980 the model was officially discontinued, though very small numbers slipped out as late as spring 1981. Over 7000 examples shipped between 1974 and 1979, and although no totals are available for 1980 and 1981, it is unlikely production reached three figures in either of these years. These final Marauders were all assembled at the Gibson Nashville plant, and had some nice features not available through the later years of production, such as a rosewood fretboard, and in this case, an opaque 'Devil Red' finish. It's a great looking and fine playing guitar!