Vintage Guitar and Bass forum

What makes it a melody maker?

« on: July 16, 2006, 11:03:05 AM »
I've been looking around at Gibson basses on the ol' t'internet and have found various 1 pickup, short scale, sg-shaped Melody Maker basses from the 60s. Could anyone give me more information on this little beauties, are they just EB0s in disguise?

Also if anyone owns one it'd be good to hear from you about it!

jules

• View Profile
melody maker bass
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 09:05:09 PM »
>are they just EB0s in disguise?

sort of. They sound the same, but were made in a cheaper way. Mahogany body and neck (like EB0), Same hardware (though the cheaper tuning pegs that were on some EB0s, but not all

Same tuners as the ones on this EB0

Headstocks had a decal, rather than the inlay of the EB0. They were also slighly different in shape.

Pickguards were of course different to the EB0 (similar to the Kalamazoo KB1 bass, but with slightly different screw spacing). Like the SB series of the 70s, they have no back panel - the electronics are assembled on the  pickguard - all the routing is on one side of the instrument, with no drill holes, and final assembly is just a matter of bringing the parts together

The other difference of course was the colour, sparkling bergundy or pelham blue only.

Despite being cosmetically different, they are essentially the same bass with regard performance.

These differences in construction meant the Melody maker bass retailed at (1967) $209.50, whilst the EB0 was $240

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 07:04:07 AM »
Thanks Jules, I've been looking at this one for a while http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDe ... tem=867084 and half considering selling a few things (an orange amp, my Epi ET 278, my liver...) to bring it over to the UK. But then again I've seen a real Gib Thunderbird for the same sort of money... what else are student loans for but splashing out on basses? I've had the SB400, a Wilson Sapphire and now an Epi T-Bird, be a shame to stop now!

jules

• View Profile
Melody Maker bass
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 01:53:09 PM »
thats not too bad a price if you are a guitar collecter, but like you point out, you can get some better functional instruments for the same money.

An EB3 can be had for the same, or even a brand new thunderbird studio.

Absolutely right about student loans. Spend it all on guitars!. My last year at Essex (the year loans started) netted me a nice strat! I deferred payment for the best part of a decade too.....

Jules

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 06:59:10 AM »
I've got one! I picked mine up in Japan last year. I love it - fast neck, pretty even response across the strings (better than my EB-2 anyway), light-weight, and of course it carries the mighty humbucker!

But be forewarned about the pickup - don't expect much treble (if any at all), and plan on copious amounts of gain and low frequencies.

I rarely play mine clean - I prefer to slather it in distortion, fuzz, and effects. Here's one example:

goodbye machine

The first bass part is through a Fulltone Bass Drive - you can actually hear the tubbiness of the pickup, plus the sub-bass, plus the overdriven tone on top. The lead part is through a Z Vex Machine (which I sold soon after, hence the title) and Roland Space Echo.

The last thing I'll say for now is that I think the price is a bit steep on the gbase one, especially with the neck repair. Could probably do better on ebay.

Last but not least, a picture!

EBO Pricing
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 03:35:03 PM »
Jules, you are right on with the pricing. I bought my first EBO in '67 for $240.

Melody maker
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 04:50:49 PM »
Cool song Harry.

Z Vex Machine (which I sold soon after

Why are you getting rid of it?

It gives you such a cool sound. What are you replacing it with?

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 12:47:21 AM »
hieronymous, what kind of amp/head setup are you using for that song?

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 07:05:59 PM »
That's a cool track Hiero, almost sounds too bright for a mudbucker.

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 06:14:03 AM »
In looking at my profile and previous posts, I discovered that I never saw the posts after mine in this thread! SO, for what it's worth, I will try and answer them:

1) The Machine just was a little too weird, a little too midrangey for me. Very limited application, and sucked away the bottom end. I would never sell my Woolly Mammoth, though the guy that bought the Machine wanted it too!

2) Both bass tracks were recorded direct. At home, I never record with an amp, partly not to annoy the neighbors, but mainly because I don't have a mic!

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 03:40:47 PM »
don't the Melody Makers also have a narrower headstock like the geeeeeetar version?
ROCK-N-ROLL PIRATE...SKATE PUNK. 72 SB450, 76 RIPPER, 77 G3 GRABBER,92 LPB-1, 75 P-BASS,78 T-40,RAT FUZZ & BAD ATTITUDE

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 12:38:29 PM »
Yes, they do, no doubt to save wood. The whole headstock is very simplistic in shape - I think they conveniently left off the two strips of wood they normally use to broaden the headstock. Another manufacture step saved.

The routing underneath the pickguard does affect the Melodymakers somewhat - a regular EB-0 will have more wood (and less mudbucker-induced) sustain, you notice it if you play both side by side unplugged. OTOH, a Melodymaker also has a tad bit more presence - all of it still dwarfed by the mammoth low frequency output of the mudbucker but  noticeable just the same, it sounds a little more open in the highs.

But at the end of the day it is just an EB-0 made to look like a Fender, even the neck is painted in a light brown tone to give it a maple appearance. A regular EB-0 feels a bit more substantial and valuable to my hands, my burgundy sparkle Melodymaker is in pristine condition and has an appealing bark, but it does have that Kalamazoo effect of feeling a bit like a toy.

Uwe

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 01:51:59 PM »
That remind me i have to get  my K1 out, finish the  faded Pelham Isuzu blue on it and start distorting the mud agin . Nice clip BTW. Spacey

Recent posts on vintage guitar and bass

1970 Rosetti Epiphone guitar catalogScan of 1970 Epiphone guitar catalogue produced by Rosetti for the UK market. Undated but most likely from mid-late 1970, this was the first UK catalogue to show the new range of Japanese (Matsumoku) Epiphone guitars. Interestingly, these pages show the Epiphone solid bodies with a single-sided Fender-style headstock layout - a feature quickly replaced with a typical two-sided Epiphone headstock almost immediately. Epiphone electric guitars: 9520, 9525; bass guitars: 9521, 9526; acoustic guitars: 6730, 6830, 6834
1971 A World of Guitars by Rosetti catalogueScan of 1971 Rosetti catalogue (UK) featuring guitars from from numerous manufacturers worldwide: guitars by Epiphone, Hagstrom, Levin, Hoyer, Egmond, Eros, Moridaira, Kiso-Suzuki, Schaller, and Tatra.
1971 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1971 Selmer guitar catalogue showing the range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Gibson, Yamaha, Selmer, Hofner and Suzuki. 1960s Selmer had always placed Hofner at the front end of their catalogues, no doubt these were the better sellers - but into the 1970s Hofner were slipping somewhat and only appear at the tail end of this publication, pride of place going to Gibson, and to a lesser extent Yamaha. In fact this is the last Selmer catalogue to include the many Hofner hollow bodies (Committee, President, Senator etc) that had defined the companies output for so many years - to be replaced in the 1972 catalogue by generic solid body 'copies' of Gibson and Fender models. A number of new Gibson models are included for the first time: the SG-100 and SG-200 six string guitars and the SB-300 and SB-400 basses.
1968 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1968/1969 Selmer guitar catalogue (printed July 1968), showing the entire range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Hofner, Gibson, Selmer and Giannini. Selmer were the exclusive United Kingdom distributors of Hofner and Gibson at the time, and this catalogue contains a total of 18 electric guitars, 7 bass guitars, 37 acoustics, and 2 Hawaiian guitars - all produced outside the UK and imported by Selmer, with UK prices included in guineas. This catalogue saw the (re-)introduction of the late sixties Gibson Les Paul Custom and Les Paul Standard (see page 69) and the short-lived Hofner Club 70. Other electric models include: HOFNER ELECTRICS: Committee, Verithin 66, Ambassador, President, Senator, Galaxie, HOFNER BASSES: Violin bass, Verithin bass, Senator bass, Professional bass GIBSON ELECTRICS: Barney Kessel, ES-330TD, ES-335TD, ES-345TD, ES-175D, ES-125CD, SG Standard, SG Junior, SG Special GIBSON BASSES: EB-0, EB-2, EB-3 - plus a LOT of acoustics branded Gibson, Hofner, Selmer and Giannini
1961 Hofner Colorama IHofner Colorama was the name UK distributor Selmer gave to a series of solid and semi-solid guitars built by Hofner for distribution in the UK. The construction and specifications of the guitars varied over the period of production, but by 1961 it was a totally solid, double cutaway instrument, with a set neck, translucent cherry finish, six-in-a-row headstock, and Hofner Diamond logo pickups. Available as a single or dual pickup guitar, this sngle pickup version would have been sold in mainland Europe as the Hofner 161.
1971 Commodore N25 (Matsumoku)Commodore was a brand applied to a series of guitars produced in Japan at the well-respected Matsumoku plant from the late 1960s to the mid 1970s - and sold primarily (perhaps exclusively?) in the United Kingdom. The models bearing the Commodore name were all guitars available from different distributors with different branding. Although there may have been some minor changes in appointments (specifically headstock branding) most had the same basic bodies, hardware and construction. Equivalent models to the Commodore N25 (and this is by no means an exhaustive list) include the Aria 5102T, Conrad 5102T(?), Electra 2221, Lyle 5102T, Ventura V-1001, Univox Coily - and most famously the Epiphone 5102T / Epiphone EA-250.
1960 Hofner Colorama IIThe Hofner Colorama was the name given by Selmer to a series of solid (and semi-solid) body Hofner guitars distributed in the United Kingdom between 1958 and 1965. The Colorama name actually applied to some quite different guitars over the period, but in 1960 it was a very light, semi-solid, set necked guitar with one (Colorama I) or two (Colorama II, as seen here) Toaster pickups. Although an entry-level guitar, it was very well-built, and a fine playing guitar; certainly a step up (at least in terms of craftsmanship) from many of the Colorama guitars that would follow, and a good deal of the guitars available in Britain circa 1960.
1971 Epiphone 1820 (ET-280) bassBy the end of the 1960s, a decision had been made to move Epiphone guitar production from the USA (at the Kalamazoo plant where Gibson guitars were made), to Matsumoto in Japan, creating a line of guitars and basses significantly less expensive than the USA-built models (actually less than half the price). The Matsumoku factory had been producing guitars for export for some time, but the 1820 bass (alongside a number of guitar models and the 5120 electric acoustic bass) were the first Epiphone models to be made there. These new Epiphones were based on existing Matsumoku guitars, sharing body shapes, and hardware, but the Epiphone line was somewhat upgraded, with inlaid logos and a 2x2 peghead configuration. Over the course of the 70s, the Japanese output improved dramatically, and in many ways these early 70s models are a low point for the brand. Having said this, there are a lot worse guitars out there, and as well as being historically important, the 1820 bass can certainly provide the goods when required.
1981 Gibson MarauderProduction of Bill Lawrence's Gibson Marauder began in 1974, with production peaking in 1978. But by 1980 the model was officially discontinued, though very small numbers slipped out as late as spring 1981. Over 7000 examples shipped between 1974 and 1979, and although no totals are available for 1980 and 1981, it is unlikely production reached three figures in either of these years. These final Marauders were all assembled at the Gibson Nashville plant, and had some nice features not available through the later years of production, such as a rosewood fretboard, and in this case, an opaque 'Devil Red' finish. It's a great looking and fine playing guitar!