Vintage Guitar and Bass forum

Flat Wound Recommendations for EB2-D?

« on: April 17, 2011, 01:43:27 AM »
What strings are you blokes using?  Why did you settle on them?

What amps are you using?

I am using a double Hartke rig with a HA5500 head over an XL 8x10 plus a HA3500 over a VX2x15 for lows. Great combo, no strain and tremendous grunt for a working 3 piece.

jules

• View Profile
Flat wound strings
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 02:17:08 AM »
I typically use Labella Deep Talkin' - they feel good to me (I play fingerstyle, usually at the bridge, but at the neck too) and are reasonably priced -

I will get the rotosound flats if I need a set urgently and don't have time to order them online, but they are perhaps a bit too light.

TI Jazz flats are nice, but expensive, and a bit floppy at the neck (but great at the bridge).

D'addario chromes occasionally too, if labellas are out of stock (they often are for some reason)

I can be happy with any of the above. The state of my bank balance, and the availability on the day of ordering usually decide ultimately

I play through a range of different amps, but most often a 70s Marshall JMP valve, or (for smaller gigs) a newer Ampeg B200

Price Vs Tone and Clarity?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 05:07:46 PM »
Jules,
Thanks for the fast response. Most of those strings are in the $20-30 range except the TI's which I never heard of until a couple of weeks ago.

These can be twice the price of the others so the obvious questions is......are they noticeably better?

John

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 06:13:21 PM »
For me, TIs seem to work best on long scale instruments - 35" and above.  The higher tension associated with the longer scale length takes much of the floppiness out of them.  I've used them on a fretless Ripper to reasonable effect, but I feel that I got the best result on my 36" Carl Thompson.  They sound nice, balanced and they are very durable.  I wish they were available in a heavier gauge.

The Deep Talking Flats are an absolutely lovely string, particularly the Jamerson set which are like bridge cables.  My only issue with them is the very large overwrap at the bead end.  The E string can be difficult to fit on some bridges and can be problematic to intonate, but the sound from these strings is phenomenal.  I haven't tried the thinner gauges.

Currently, I have a set of Fender flats (green silk) on a fretted Ripper.  They were on the bass when I got it.  Nice feel, a bit stiff and very durable.  I like them a lot.

I also have an old set of GHS Bright Flats on the fretless Ripper.  They may not be right for everybody, but they are golden on this particular bass.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 06:53:35 PM by bassdroid »
Play the big dumb notes and the little smart notes will take care of themselves.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 07:02:44 PM »
The best flats I ever used - and I have used tons of them - were the Rotosound Multi Core sets.  Absolutely wonderful.  I would give my left nut for a new set, but I have one 30 year old set in a pack that I will put on the Gibson bass I take to the nursing home.

I like LaBellas, Roto Jazz, Fender, and Dean Markley which were the thuddiest but had a nice ring to them.  I found GHS to be problematic with tension and guage and deadness, and hated Londoner.  Ernie Ball makes an eh level flat - you can always do better for the price or feel.  I had a set of Sound City flats years ago which weren't too bad.
boom

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 11:51:40 AM »
On my 1968 EB2 I used to use RotoSound Jazz flats, but 10 years ago I bought a set of Pyramid Gold, they are still on the Bass and after all these years (and a lot of gigs using the EB2) they sound as good as ever, Pyramid Gold is just Great Strings for a vintage Bass IMHO.
Gibson EB 2 [1968] - Gibson SG Standard Bass [2010]
MySpace Click
YouTube Click

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 12:13:55 AM »
An added note - I found that with short scale strings every so often there would be silk winding that would come down into the nut.  To avoid that I got medium scale strings if they were available.
boom

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 10:33:40 PM »
Hello,on the subject of flats,I`ve got Roto Jazz 105-45 on a couple of basses,long&short scale,bit tight in tension even on shortscale..need a set of flats on my main EB3,t-rod maxed out,happy with rounds,40-105...need a set of flats around 100-35/40,any ideas? Looking for lower tension,but not too thin...wondered if the Roto Tru bass would be any use? Cheers...

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 04:54:03 PM »
Roto Tru Bass will fatten up the strings a bit, but they do have higher tension.  If Roto Jazz is not keeping you happy, I wouldn't go to Tru Bass.  I would recommend LaBella Nylon Tape Wound as a better option.  They have lower tension and a tiny bit livelier (than the Tru Bass) but still have that flat tone.  Tapes are a different animal though.  Not as radical as from flats to round wounds, but not a flat, although they are kind of.  

The best nylon covered strings were the Fender 7120 Nylon filament round wound (my opinion). The tape was actually round and not a flat wrap, so it really had some lively cutting tone, like a round wound, but very smooth feeling and by its construction deader, so I love them. And really low tension.  They stopped making them a year or so ago, but lots of places still have them and some guys sell them on ebay still.  I have two of my Fenders strung up with them, and I plan on leaving them on awhile. Maybe 20-30 years.  If I were to experiment with them on a Gibson, I would have to judiciously clip them down.  Cutting into the tape could unravel them - so crazy glue for the cutting mark is a good idea!
boom

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 12:09:48 PM »
Many thanks eb2,interweb searching comences...!  :)

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 11:53:30 PM »
LaBella Deep Talkin' Flatwounds 49-109. Full round tone and tension good whole length of string. Sound great right outta da pack.

EB 2D Flats Cont....
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 03:38:39 AM »
Thanks a lot for the replys. Very interesting.

I had my Gibby in for a neck fix at the Gibson Custom Shop and the returned the guitar with flats on it that sounded great. (The first I had used in about 30 years. I used to use Picato Nylons) I took them off after about 6 months of gigging 8 or 9 times a month and found that I missed them.

What I did in the interim, was cut down a spare set of SIT RW Mediums I had which have a .050" G string. They sound wonderful on my Warwick Thumb but that thickness makes the G sound excessive and out of sound balance with the other strings on the shorter scale.

I did some more research and found out that Gibson uses D'Addario Flats of .045 - .105 so I will head in that direction simply because they are reasonably priced. I would like to try the Pyramids and TI's as suggested here, but they are double the price of the D'Ad's and becuase they are a disposable item, I am hoping I can skimp a little and still be satisfied.

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 09:08:29 AM »
As stated earlier I use Pyramid on my EB2, I also have a SG Bass (my main Bass) this I have strung with la bella deep talking flats but in ultra lite gauge .39 - .97 i think, they sound great on the SG/EB Bass (same strings Jack Bruce used back in the days) 8)

They are easy to bend, not to floppy, low tension and I can get more than enough deep bass out of them. I highly recommend them!
Gibson EB 2 [1968] - Gibson SG Standard Bass [2010]
MySpace Click
YouTube Click

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 04:55:49 PM »
Sorted....D`Addario Super Light Gauge .040/.060/.075./.095...job done....  :)

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 01:04:47 AM »
I liked TIs on my EB-2D and Rivoli.  However, the E string that comes with the short scale TI set (JF-324?) has always seemed really dull on any short scale bass I've owned, but for some reason using an E from the long scale set (JF-344) worked and sounded far better when I tried TIs on the EB-2D and Riv.

Recent posts on vintage guitar and bass

1970 Rosetti Epiphone guitar catalogScan of 1970 Epiphone guitar catalogue produced by Rosetti for the UK market. Undated but most likely from mid-late 1970, this was the first UK catalogue to show the new range of Japanese (Matsumoku) Epiphone guitars. Interestingly, these pages show the Epiphone solid bodies with a single-sided Fender-style headstock layout - a feature quickly replaced with a typical two-sided Epiphone headstock almost immediately. Epiphone electric guitars: 9520, 9525; bass guitars: 9521, 9526; acoustic guitars: 6730, 6830, 6834
1971 A World of Guitars by Rosetti catalogueScan of 1971 Rosetti catalogue (UK) featuring guitars from from numerous manufacturers worldwide: guitars by Epiphone, Hagstrom, Levin, Hoyer, Egmond, Eros, Moridaira, Kiso-Suzuki, Schaller, and Tatra.
1971 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1971 Selmer guitar catalogue showing the range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Gibson, Yamaha, Selmer, Hofner and Suzuki. 1960s Selmer had always placed Hofner at the front end of their catalogues, no doubt these were the better sellers - but into the 1970s Hofner were slipping somewhat and only appear at the tail end of this publication, pride of place going to Gibson, and to a lesser extent Yamaha. In fact this is the last Selmer catalogue to include the many Hofner hollow bodies (Committee, President, Senator etc) that had defined the companies output for so many years - to be replaced in the 1972 catalogue by generic solid body 'copies' of Gibson and Fender models. A number of new Gibson models are included for the first time: the SG-100 and SG-200 six string guitars and the SB-300 and SB-400 basses.
1968 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1968/1969 Selmer guitar catalogue (printed July 1968), showing the entire range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Hofner, Gibson, Selmer and Giannini. Selmer were the exclusive United Kingdom distributors of Hofner and Gibson at the time, and this catalogue contains a total of 18 electric guitars, 7 bass guitars, 37 acoustics, and 2 Hawaiian guitars - all produced outside the UK and imported by Selmer, with UK prices included in guineas. This catalogue saw the (re-)introduction of the late sixties Gibson Les Paul Custom and Les Paul Standard (see page 69) and the short-lived Hofner Club 70. Other electric models include: HOFNER ELECTRICS: Committee, Verithin 66, Ambassador, President, Senator, Galaxie, HOFNER BASSES: Violin bass, Verithin bass, Senator bass, Professional bass GIBSON ELECTRICS: Barney Kessel, ES-330TD, ES-335TD, ES-345TD, ES-175D, ES-125CD, SG Standard, SG Junior, SG Special GIBSON BASSES: EB-0, EB-2, EB-3 - plus a LOT of acoustics branded Gibson, Hofner, Selmer and Giannini
1961 Hofner Colorama IHofner Colorama was the name UK distributor Selmer gave to a series of solid and semi-solid guitars built by Hofner for distribution in the UK. The construction and specifications of the guitars varied over the period of production, but by 1961 it was a totally solid, double cutaway instrument, with a set neck, translucent cherry finish, six-in-a-row headstock, and Hofner Diamond logo pickups. Available as a single or dual pickup guitar, this sngle pickup version would have been sold in mainland Europe as the Hofner 161.
1971 Commodore N25 (Matsumoku)Commodore was a brand applied to a series of guitars produced in Japan at the well-respected Matsumoku plant from the late 1960s to the mid 1970s - and sold primarily (perhaps exclusively?) in the United Kingdom. The models bearing the Commodore name were all guitars available from different distributors with different branding. Although there may have been some minor changes in appointments (specifically headstock branding) most had the same basic bodies, hardware and construction. Equivalent models to the Commodore N25 (and this is by no means an exhaustive list) include the Aria 5102T, Conrad 5102T(?), Electra 2221, Lyle 5102T, Ventura V-1001, Univox Coily - and most famously the Epiphone 5102T / Epiphone EA-250.
1960 Hofner Colorama IIThe Hofner Colorama was the name given by Selmer to a series of solid (and semi-solid) body Hofner guitars distributed in the United Kingdom between 1958 and 1965. The Colorama name actually applied to some quite different guitars over the period, but in 1960 it was a very light, semi-solid, set necked guitar with one (Colorama I) or two (Colorama II, as seen here) Toaster pickups. Although an entry-level guitar, it was very well-built, and a fine playing guitar; certainly a step up (at least in terms of craftsmanship) from many of the Colorama guitars that would follow, and a good deal of the guitars available in Britain circa 1960.
1971 Epiphone 1820 (ET-280) bassBy the end of the 1960s, a decision had been made to move Epiphone guitar production from the USA (at the Kalamazoo plant where Gibson guitars were made), to Matsumoto in Japan, creating a line of guitars and basses significantly less expensive than the USA-built models (actually less than half the price). The Matsumoku factory had been producing guitars for export for some time, but the 1820 bass (alongside a number of guitar models and the 5120 electric acoustic bass) were the first Epiphone models to be made there. These new Epiphones were based on existing Matsumoku guitars, sharing body shapes, and hardware, but the Epiphone line was somewhat upgraded, with inlaid logos and a 2x2 peghead configuration. Over the course of the 70s, the Japanese output improved dramatically, and in many ways these early 70s models are a low point for the brand. Having said this, there are a lot worse guitars out there, and as well as being historically important, the 1820 bass can certainly provide the goods when required.
1981 Gibson MarauderProduction of Bill Lawrence's Gibson Marauder began in 1974, with production peaking in 1978. But by 1980 the model was officially discontinued, though very small numbers slipped out as late as spring 1981. Over 7000 examples shipped between 1974 and 1979, and although no totals are available for 1980 and 1981, it is unlikely production reached three figures in either of these years. These final Marauders were all assembled at the Gibson Nashville plant, and had some nice features not available through the later years of production, such as a rosewood fretboard, and in this case, an opaque 'Devil Red' finish. It's a great looking and fine playing guitar!