Vintage Guitar and Bass forum

Advice needed on EBO restoration , Please

« on: June 06, 2010, 06:03:38 PM »
Hi , can anyone please help me.
 I have just brought what i think is an 60s  Gibson EBO bass which is in need of renovation but i do not know where to start.

The bass is structally fine but the neck has been refinished and the gibson logo is missing  , the serial dates the guitar  to between 61 to 63 ( was this colour available then?)

My concern is as i have never seen a 60s Gibson bass close up ,so i am not too sure what type of logo should be on the headstock for this year ( silkscreen , decal or inlay) and if i did i would not know where aquire one.

Also any advice where to purchase

1 - Chrome ( or plastice ) pickup cover

2 - Fingerest cover

3 - Control Knobs right from this period

here are some pictures

Any help and information will be much appreciated

sheldon

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 09:51:57 PM »
Well, looks like you got one with most of the fun parts, and it is an EB-0.  So, my two cents, and others will weigh in.  The headstock should have pearloid inlays of the Gibson logo and the chevron design.  They would not have had decals.  Yours shows no sign of the inlays, and the back of the neck was painted black (not the original color in my estimate based on the body).  That paint is usually a sign of a neck repair, as is the lack of the original headstock overlay.  Not the end of the world if the repair was done well.  First thing I would do is remove the finish off the back of the neck, and be very gentle/careful around the serial number.  Easy does it there.  You can use a chemical stripper (like orange peel) but masking tape off the fingerboard and nut.  Scrape it off with a plastic scraper tool.  Then wash it off generously with mineral spirits to neutralize the stripper.  Then sand it down with a medium to light grade sponge sander.  Take it easy, and get the black off.  That will get you to the wood and tell you what is what.  Then you will have to get the string tuner ferrules out of the face of the headstock.  Easy does it here too as there may have been a crack repair.  Get a small hammer or a plastic face "dead blow" hammer and a flat head screwdriver.  Tap the ferrules from the back gently clockwise till the pop off.  Brace the body while you do this.  Then sand the face of the headstock off.  When all that is done you will know what lies beneath.  Send pics here.

You could have someone do this for you of course.  It would add expenses to a bass that has limited value.  This is really an easy do it yourself thing as the hard work has been done already, provided it is holding up under string tension.

You need tuners, mudbucker cover, knobs, and a bridge.  The bridge is the hard part, but nothing is impossible!  Good luck.
boom

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 10:15:08 PM »
Thanks for the repsonse and the detailed advice it is much appreciated.

Do you know where i would be able to aquire a suitable decal ( would it be gold in colour or pearl? ).
Also do you know if the  pickup cover would have been chrome or plastic for this era , the serial  from what i can make out looks like 132xx which i think dates it to 62  .

I have the original Tuners - Bridge - screws but removed them ready for restoration.

Thanks again

jules

• View Profile
Gibson EB0 - early 1960s
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 01:03:47 AM »
Hi and welcome

I'd say yours is most likely a 1963.

Heres my 1962 Gibson EB0

So you need an early 60s bar bridge - the later chrome version will fit, but the nickel is correct (you don't need to be too fussy though). The tune-o-matic Gibson two point bridge will not fit

You don't need the black bakelite pickup cover, you need the nickel humbucker cover - wide early version (you can tell this by the location of the screw holes relative to the cover outline in your images)

Kluson 538 tuning keys - chrome ones will work, but nickel would be period correct. NOTE, a lot of tuners look like this, and most new ones have wider posts.

You can spend a lot on these parts if you don't shop around, watch you don't end up spending more than this bass is worth. In fact, if you are a player, you might be better off modding this bass rather than restoring it completely. The old bridge isn't intonatable, which isn't ideal, and you'll have real trouble finding (or making) a new headstock overlay.

Ebay is your best bet for parts... but like I said, watch out for steep 'buy it now' prices

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 03:43:59 PM »
You should check into the Guitar ReRanch board.  You need the pearl inlay - not a decal.  However, there are some fun characters out there who have come up with plastic overlay that looks pretty much the same, and you avoid the whole routing of the inlay and filling the voids.  But I haven't done that, so I recommend the Reranch board for best advice on that stuff.  They know where to get the finishing touches.

If you do have the tuners and bridge, and assorted screws, you have the hard stuff.  You can improvise the cover via ebay.  As Jules pointed out you can shop around, and sometimes there are repros that fit as well.  You technically are missing the metal thing that goes over the strings - it was supposed to be a finger rest of some sort if you didn't use the curved wood for thumb playing.  But it is mostly useless, and is like a hood ornament. Most players chucked them.
boom

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 07:07:50 PM »
I just used a decal, but is not period correct, but was easy and inexpensive. Gibson does not allow decal sales, but they pop up on ebay time to time.

Mine was a Slot Head EB-0 that had a new neck grafted on

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »
Thanks again i will take onboard all your advice.  

My original idea was to sand down the neck and then stain it with wood dye as i think it would be the easiet method . If i was to decide to get it done properly would the original finish be  nitro or poly ?

sheldon

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 08:18:32 AM »
hi i have had another look at the neck and  I do not really want to use a chemical stripper as it looks like the original finish is still there under the black paint .

Is there another way of removing the top layer of paint while preserving the finish underneath?
thanks

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 06:28:32 PM »
Chemical stripper, nitro for paint.

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 08:30:47 AM »
That should be a nice bass when finished. Do yourself a huge favor and don't try to sand the old finish off. I used Methylenechloride scratch brush and the water hose on mine. had it completely stripped in 30 minutes. If you try to sand the finish off it will take a lifetime and still look like crap when your done. The collector value of the guitar is down the tubes anyway so you might as well make it look first cabin. I have a post here with some pictures of mine as I worked it. I used Nitrate dope for the finish with tracer dye as a pigment, people here told me it was wrong but all the experts here in my town tell me it's the best color match they have seen. Bottom line is do what makes you happy and enjoy it as a player. The head stock I would have a professional do that work it is very tricky.

I used a black ball point pen in the serial number to make it more readable, then sprayed the finish on top.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 08:34:00 AM by vortilon »

Recent posts on vintage guitar and bass

1970 Rosetti Epiphone guitar catalogScan of 1970 Epiphone guitar catalogue produced by Rosetti for the UK market. Undated but most likely from mid-late 1970, this was the first UK catalogue to show the new range of Japanese (Matsumoku) Epiphone guitars. Interestingly, these pages show the Epiphone solid bodies with a single-sided Fender-style headstock layout - a feature quickly replaced with a typical two-sided Epiphone headstock almost immediately. Epiphone electric guitars: 9520, 9525; bass guitars: 9521, 9526; acoustic guitars: 6730, 6830, 6834
1971 A World of Guitars by Rosetti catalogueScan of 1971 Rosetti catalogue (UK) featuring guitars from from numerous manufacturers worldwide: guitars by Epiphone, Hagstrom, Levin, Hoyer, Egmond, Eros, Moridaira, Kiso-Suzuki, Schaller, and Tatra.
1971 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1971 Selmer guitar catalogue showing the range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Gibson, Yamaha, Selmer, Hofner and Suzuki. 1960s Selmer had always placed Hofner at the front end of their catalogues, no doubt these were the better sellers - but into the 1970s Hofner were slipping somewhat and only appear at the tail end of this publication, pride of place going to Gibson, and to a lesser extent Yamaha. In fact this is the last Selmer catalogue to include the many Hofner hollow bodies (Committee, President, Senator etc) that had defined the companies output for so many years - to be replaced in the 1972 catalogue by generic solid body 'copies' of Gibson and Fender models. A number of new Gibson models are included for the first time: the SG-100 and SG-200 six string guitars and the SB-300 and SB-400 basses.
1968 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1968/1969 Selmer guitar catalogue (printed July 1968), showing the entire range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Hofner, Gibson, Selmer and Giannini. Selmer were the exclusive United Kingdom distributors of Hofner and Gibson at the time, and this catalogue contains a total of 18 electric guitars, 7 bass guitars, 37 acoustics, and 2 Hawaiian guitars - all produced outside the UK and imported by Selmer, with UK prices included in guineas. This catalogue saw the (re-)introduction of the late sixties Gibson Les Paul Custom and Les Paul Standard (see page 69) and the short-lived Hofner Club 70. Other electric models include: HOFNER ELECTRICS: Committee, Verithin 66, Ambassador, President, Senator, Galaxie, HOFNER BASSES: Violin bass, Verithin bass, Senator bass, Professional bass GIBSON ELECTRICS: Barney Kessel, ES-330TD, ES-335TD, ES-345TD, ES-175D, ES-125CD, SG Standard, SG Junior, SG Special GIBSON BASSES: EB-0, EB-2, EB-3 - plus a LOT of acoustics branded Gibson, Hofner, Selmer and Giannini
1961 Hofner Colorama IHofner Colorama was the name UK distributor Selmer gave to a series of solid and semi-solid guitars built by Hofner for distribution in the UK. The construction and specifications of the guitars varied over the period of production, but by 1961 it was a totally solid, double cutaway instrument, with a set neck, translucent cherry finish, six-in-a-row headstock, and Hofner Diamond logo pickups. Available as a single or dual pickup guitar, this sngle pickup version would have been sold in mainland Europe as the Hofner 161.
1971 Commodore N25 (Matsumoku)Commodore was a brand applied to a series of guitars produced in Japan at the well-respected Matsumoku plant from the late 1960s to the mid 1970s - and sold primarily (perhaps exclusively?) in the United Kingdom. The models bearing the Commodore name were all guitars available from different distributors with different branding. Although there may have been some minor changes in appointments (specifically headstock branding) most had the same basic bodies, hardware and construction. Equivalent models to the Commodore N25 (and this is by no means an exhaustive list) include the Aria 5102T, Conrad 5102T(?), Electra 2221, Lyle 5102T, Ventura V-1001, Univox Coily - and most famously the Epiphone 5102T / Epiphone EA-250.
1960 Hofner Colorama IIThe Hofner Colorama was the name given by Selmer to a series of solid (and semi-solid) body Hofner guitars distributed in the United Kingdom between 1958 and 1965. The Colorama name actually applied to some quite different guitars over the period, but in 1960 it was a very light, semi-solid, set necked guitar with one (Colorama I) or two (Colorama II, as seen here) Toaster pickups. Although an entry-level guitar, it was very well-built, and a fine playing guitar; certainly a step up (at least in terms of craftsmanship) from many of the Colorama guitars that would follow, and a good deal of the guitars available in Britain circa 1960.
1971 Epiphone 1820 (ET-280) bassBy the end of the 1960s, a decision had been made to move Epiphone guitar production from the USA (at the Kalamazoo plant where Gibson guitars were made), to Matsumoto in Japan, creating a line of guitars and basses significantly less expensive than the USA-built models (actually less than half the price). The Matsumoku factory had been producing guitars for export for some time, but the 1820 bass (alongside a number of guitar models and the 5120 electric acoustic bass) were the first Epiphone models to be made there. These new Epiphones were based on existing Matsumoku guitars, sharing body shapes, and hardware, but the Epiphone line was somewhat upgraded, with inlaid logos and a 2x2 peghead configuration. Over the course of the 70s, the Japanese output improved dramatically, and in many ways these early 70s models are a low point for the brand. Having said this, there are a lot worse guitars out there, and as well as being historically important, the 1820 bass can certainly provide the goods when required.
1981 Gibson MarauderProduction of Bill Lawrence's Gibson Marauder began in 1974, with production peaking in 1978. But by 1980 the model was officially discontinued, though very small numbers slipped out as late as spring 1981. Over 7000 examples shipped between 1974 and 1979, and although no totals are available for 1980 and 1981, it is unlikely production reached three figures in either of these years. These final Marauders were all assembled at the Gibson Nashville plant, and had some nice features not available through the later years of production, such as a rosewood fretboard, and in this case, an opaque 'Devil Red' finish. It's a great looking and fine playing guitar!