Vintage Guitar and Bass forum

Mahogany Explorer?

Mahogany Explorer?
« on: March 30, 2006, 06:53:00 PM »
1980's Gibson Explorer Bass with OHSC No Reserve! [EDIT: sold for $503]

Where these made from Mahogany. This one looks like it is?

Could be a nice project.

Mahogany Explorer?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 07:24:30 PM »
looks like Korina - which some explorers are known to be made of ... this one looks fishy to me though (neck fin not matching body fin, sloppy pup routes with non-gibson pups - looks like a Gibson neck set into a noname body.... or, best case scenario original body, stripped of fin and rerouted for new pups... the seller admits as much).  

I'd risk it (if I were interested in explorers) for about $200 (currently just over 100) but not much more than that.

Explorers
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 08:48:17 PM »
From What I remember Uwe saying is the were all Alder bodies for Gibson and the epi was mahogany with a paper thin Korina laminate on top.

Lets just say they grafted a Explorer neck on a new mahogany body. Sounds like a nice Fenderbird project, just drop in some of new chrome T bird pickups and you have a nice explorer F bird.

explorer wood
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 02:07:10 PM »
If thats just a clear coat I would expect alder to be a lot lighter than that

Mahogany Explorer?
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 12:57:32 PM »
The ads at the time claimed that all eighties Exies had a maple neck and a body made of "US Hardwood". Looking at my two Explorers from the eighties, the redish wood underneath the solid fins certainly looks like mahogany and sounds like it too, i.e. subdued highs. I have a korina Explorer too, but that is a one-off from the custom shop. Not aware that they ever used korina for anything but their Explorer guitars on regular lines.

The Epi Exie claims to be korina body and mahogany neck, but we all know how that has to be taken with (more than) a pinch of salt. The wood on mine is not like anything I've seen, it is really soft and dent prone (not really a good idea for a bass as bulky as the Explorer), but it sounds great, beautifully resonant and blurry. Equipped with TB Plus pups as replacement for the original Epi pups (which were ok, but kind of lame), my long scale Epi Explorer now creams the Grabber-pupped and the piezo-equipped Gibson originals from the eighties I own into the ground.

Coming back to the question: I wouldn't rule out that that EBay Explorer has an original body, albeit stripped.  Whatever "US Hardwood" is, I have yet to see it on an Explorer.

Uwe

Mahogany Explorer?
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 04:13:02 PM »
It's definitely some kind of mahogany. Price is going too high for a project with screwdriver chiseled pickup cavities.

Mahogany Explorer?
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 06:02:38 AM »
I just stumbled onto this site today.  Been searching the web for Explorer bass info, as last night I bought the mahogany Explorer in question off ebay.  Bought it for myself, not for resale, because it was interesting.  Don't see many of these around.  If it wasn't stripped, we wouldn't suspect it's mahogany.  They were supposed to all be maple-necked and aldered-bodied.  I understand they came in black or cream only, which probably explains the black neck.  Will let you know if it was worth the price when I get it in a week or so.  Anyone know what type of pickups it originally came with?   In the few pictures I've seen, they are black with a raised "Gibson" logo.  Where to locate a set with rings?  I not finding much info on the net.   thanx
1964/1977 Fenderbird, 1981 Kramer XL8, 1985 Gibson Explorerbird, 1988 Alembic Spoiler, 1981 Alembic Exploiter, 2 Dan Armstrong Lucite basses, 4 Dan Electro Longhorn basses, 2 Silvertone 1368\'s, Silvertone 1443, Veleno\'s # 181 & 184, 1974 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe blue sparkle, 3 1970\'s Gibson L6-S\'

Mahogany Explorer?
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 06:13:21 AM »
ps.  After taking another look at the pictures on ebay.  It appears that it has a brass nut.   Sweet.  I have an Alembic with an adjustable brass nut.   What a great idea that was.   Can't understand why more guitars and basses didn't adopt that idea.  Price I guess.   Probably not standard on an Explorer, but there does seem to be a lot of Gibsons of that era with brass nuts.   Anyone know if it was standard on Explorer basses?
1964/1977 Fenderbird, 1981 Kramer XL8, 1985 Gibson Explorerbird, 1988 Alembic Spoiler, 1981 Alembic Exploiter, 2 Dan Armstrong Lucite basses, 4 Dan Electro Longhorn basses, 2 Silvertone 1368\'s, Silvertone 1443, Veleno\'s # 181 & 184, 1974 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe blue sparkle, 3 1970\'s Gibson L6-S\'

Pups
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 12:42:21 PM »
I would put chrome T bird pups in it that can be found here-

http://www.vintagebass.com/thedudepit/s ... ge=7&pp=10

jules

• View Profile
explorer wood
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 03:05:04 PM »
Quote from: southhaven
They were supposed to all be maple-necked and aldered-bodied.

Hi southhaven, and welcome to the forum

congrats on the purchase. Will you refin, or leave as is?

I'm interested in the above statement - i'm not saying its not true, but would like to know why you say this? is it on a website, or some literature somewhere?

The only mention of explorer bass woods I can find at the moment is from the 86 catalog which (as Uwe stated earlier) lists maple neck and 'American hardwood' body - which could mean we'll make them from different hardwoods depending on finish, availability or some other factor....

I believe Korina is African, and therefore probably ruled out here....

Finishes listed in the June 84 price list are:
ebony, alpine white, red

June 85: as above, except red in now described as ferrari red, and custom graphics are available for extra $85 (those stripey ones)

I don't have the 86 pricelist - anyone?

Jules

Mahogany Explorer?
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 07:57:35 PM »
Thanks for the welcome and the new info folks.  One site, a gibson catalog page (www.flyguitars.com/graphics/1986GibsonCatalogue2.jpg) said American hardwood bodies and maple necks.  The Harmony Central site (www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data4/Gibs ... ass-1.html) has a couple reviewers who said theirs have alder bodies, maple necks and rosewood or ebony fretboards.  

From what little I've discovered, these basses were supposed to be through-necks, not set necks.  If that's true, then I'm thinking this Explorer is likely ALL mahogany.  Seems there are always exceptions out there.

What do I plan to do with it?  If it's been fubar'ed, I'll customize it with a clear conscience.  If it can be put back into stock condition, I will probably do that.   Since the body has been stripped and poorly refinned, I will probably strip it again, oil it or put a satin urethane on it.  If the neck is original black paint, will likely leave it.   It's hard to say what exactly what was done without seeing it in person.

Yeah, I like chrome T-bird P/Us also.  Especially with the T-bird tuners.

Mahogany Explorer update.
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 02:34:07 AM »
So, I get the bass.  It's not bad.  It does appear to be mahogany.  Got out the 10x hand lens and used Bruce Hoadley's "Understanding Wood", which has macrophotographs and descriptions of various wood species.  Since it was stripped, it was easy to see the rays, vessels, pores, etc.

Not sure about the neck though.  A few tiny worn places look awfully light, like maybe a maple.  It also has the thin ridge where the body meets the neck in back, like a set neck.  I thought Explorers were supposed to neck-throughs.  When I strip the neck, it should become obvious.  

It has Shaller pups that sound pretty good, but I'd like to find a set of old nickel T-bird pups. Anyone know where I could find a set with rings?

I think some young yocal owned this bass once, as the pup routes were slightly enlarged and there a number of machine screws broken off that need to be tapped out.  I know the tap set I have is too big for this.  Any suggestions?

Oh yeah, I forgot, turns out it's a factory second.  Seems the seller didn't know what the "sec" meant on the back of the headstock.  I did talk to him and it was a mistake of ignorance.  Been there...more than once.  All in all, I still love the bass.  Sounds good, seems well balanced and feels good.  If I can just stop banging that pointy ass-end into things when I turn around.

Mahogany Explorer?
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006, 03:44:36 PM »
Nope - Explorers were set neck not neck thru.  Gibson, at the time, was using brass nuts on everything bass (my 81 Victory has one).  The original pups were Grabber pups (Uwe please confirm).  I saw a pair of them on ebay recently - might still be there.  TBplus (chrome or black plastic) would be a good choice - probably better than the original pups.  With them it'll sound (and kinda look) like a TBird.

Mahogany Explorer?
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006, 09:36:22 PM »
Thanx for the info GG.  I had read they were neck-throughs...lots of conflicting info out there.  I did get some Explorer pups, but doubt the rings will cover the slightly enlarged routes.   I've seen oversized rings for LPs where humbuckers were swapped out for deluxe or P90s.  Ever seen any oversized rings for bass pups?   I would really like a set of the old chrome or nickel Tbird pups in, but am not finding any.  I think their rings would cover the routes.

jules

• View Profile
Thunderbird pickups in an explorer
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2006, 02:00:06 PM »
Quote from: southhaven
I would really like a set of the old chrome or nickel Tbird pups in, but am not finding any.  I think their rings would cover the routes.

They do come up on ebay every couple months - but always go for good money. The original grabber style pups always go for a lot less. I guess it depends how badly you want Tbird pups

Are you going to refinish it?

Jules

Recent posts on vintage guitar and bass

1970 Rosetti Epiphone guitar catalogScan of 1970 Epiphone guitar catalogue produced by Rosetti for the UK market. Undated but most likely from mid-late 1970, this was the first UK catalogue to show the new range of Japanese (Matsumoku) Epiphone guitars. Interestingly, these pages show the Epiphone solid bodies with a single-sided Fender-style headstock layout - a feature quickly replaced with a typical two-sided Epiphone headstock almost immediately. Epiphone electric guitars: 9520, 9525; bass guitars: 9521, 9526; acoustic guitars: 6730, 6830, 6834
1971 A World of Guitars by Rosetti catalogueScan of 1971 Rosetti catalogue (UK) featuring guitars from from numerous manufacturers worldwide: guitars by Epiphone, Hagstrom, Levin, Hoyer, Egmond, Eros, Moridaira, Kiso-Suzuki, Schaller, and Tatra.
1971 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1971 Selmer guitar catalogue showing the range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Gibson, Yamaha, Selmer, Hofner and Suzuki. 1960s Selmer had always placed Hofner at the front end of their catalogues, no doubt these were the better sellers - but into the 1970s Hofner were slipping somewhat and only appear at the tail end of this publication, pride of place going to Gibson, and to a lesser extent Yamaha. In fact this is the last Selmer catalogue to include the many Hofner hollow bodies (Committee, President, Senator etc) that had defined the companies output for so many years - to be replaced in the 1972 catalogue by generic solid body 'copies' of Gibson and Fender models. A number of new Gibson models are included for the first time: the SG-100 and SG-200 six string guitars and the SB-300 and SB-400 basses.
1968 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1968/1969 Selmer guitar catalogue (printed July 1968), showing the entire range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Hofner, Gibson, Selmer and Giannini. Selmer were the exclusive United Kingdom distributors of Hofner and Gibson at the time, and this catalogue contains a total of 18 electric guitars, 7 bass guitars, 37 acoustics, and 2 Hawaiian guitars - all produced outside the UK and imported by Selmer, with UK prices included in guineas. This catalogue saw the (re-)introduction of the late sixties Gibson Les Paul Custom and Les Paul Standard (see page 69) and the short-lived Hofner Club 70. Other electric models include: HOFNER ELECTRICS: Committee, Verithin 66, Ambassador, President, Senator, Galaxie, HOFNER BASSES: Violin bass, Verithin bass, Senator bass, Professional bass GIBSON ELECTRICS: Barney Kessel, ES-330TD, ES-335TD, ES-345TD, ES-175D, ES-125CD, SG Standard, SG Junior, SG Special GIBSON BASSES: EB-0, EB-2, EB-3 - plus a LOT of acoustics branded Gibson, Hofner, Selmer and Giannini
1961 Hofner Colorama IHofner Colorama was the name UK distributor Selmer gave to a series of solid and semi-solid guitars built by Hofner for distribution in the UK. The construction and specifications of the guitars varied over the period of production, but by 1961 it was a totally solid, double cutaway instrument, with a set neck, translucent cherry finish, six-in-a-row headstock, and Hofner Diamond logo pickups. Available as a single or dual pickup guitar, this sngle pickup version would have been sold in mainland Europe as the Hofner 161.
1971 Commodore N25 (Matsumoku)Commodore was a brand applied to a series of guitars produced in Japan at the well-respected Matsumoku plant from the late 1960s to the mid 1970s - and sold primarily (perhaps exclusively?) in the United Kingdom. The models bearing the Commodore name were all guitars available from different distributors with different branding. Although there may have been some minor changes in appointments (specifically headstock branding) most had the same basic bodies, hardware and construction. Equivalent models to the Commodore N25 (and this is by no means an exhaustive list) include the Aria 5102T, Conrad 5102T(?), Electra 2221, Lyle 5102T, Ventura V-1001, Univox Coily - and most famously the Epiphone 5102T / Epiphone EA-250.
1960 Hofner Colorama IIThe Hofner Colorama was the name given by Selmer to a series of solid (and semi-solid) body Hofner guitars distributed in the United Kingdom between 1958 and 1965. The Colorama name actually applied to some quite different guitars over the period, but in 1960 it was a very light, semi-solid, set necked guitar with one (Colorama I) or two (Colorama II, as seen here) Toaster pickups. Although an entry-level guitar, it was very well-built, and a fine playing guitar; certainly a step up (at least in terms of craftsmanship) from many of the Colorama guitars that would follow, and a good deal of the guitars available in Britain circa 1960.
1971 Epiphone 1820 (ET-280) bassBy the end of the 1960s, a decision had been made to move Epiphone guitar production from the USA (at the Kalamazoo plant where Gibson guitars were made), to Matsumoto in Japan, creating a line of guitars and basses significantly less expensive than the USA-built models (actually less than half the price). The Matsumoku factory had been producing guitars for export for some time, but the 1820 bass (alongside a number of guitar models and the 5120 electric acoustic bass) were the first Epiphone models to be made there. These new Epiphones were based on existing Matsumoku guitars, sharing body shapes, and hardware, but the Epiphone line was somewhat upgraded, with inlaid logos and a 2x2 peghead configuration. Over the course of the 70s, the Japanese output improved dramatically, and in many ways these early 70s models are a low point for the brand. Having said this, there are a lot worse guitars out there, and as well as being historically important, the 1820 bass can certainly provide the goods when required.
1981 Gibson MarauderProduction of Bill Lawrence's Gibson Marauder began in 1974, with production peaking in 1978. But by 1980 the model was officially discontinued, though very small numbers slipped out as late as spring 1981. Over 7000 examples shipped between 1974 and 1979, and although no totals are available for 1980 and 1981, it is unlikely production reached three figures in either of these years. These final Marauders were all assembled at the Gibson Nashville plant, and had some nice features not available through the later years of production, such as a rosewood fretboard, and in this case, an opaque 'Devil Red' finish. It's a great looking and fine playing guitar!