Vintage Guitar and Bass forum

Mudbucker Series-Parallel-Coil-Tap Mod (with audio samples)

I've always been curious about experimenting with different permutations of the coils in the Gibson sidewinder pickup (the mudbucker).  By default, its coils are hardwired in series, and there is only a single output lead (and ground lead) - making this sort of experimentation impossible.

In order to accomplish this, the mudbucker coils have to be separated, and wired up with four output wires - a pair for each coil - making it possible to create different coil combinations using switches in the circuitry.

I had just the bass to try this on - a '69 EB-0 that has a filled p-bass pickup route, a repaired body break at the neck union, and a non-original wiring harness.  I have now modded the pickup in this bass and built a new wiring harness to facilitate series/parallel switching of the humbucker coils, and also coil-tap for running it in single-coil mode.

My pickup had a reasonable amount of slack in the wires exiting the coils.  Not sure if they are all like that, but this was a welcome suprise and made the job fairly simple.  Here's a shot of the pickup once I carefully extracted the wires out from under the coils:

I had to desolder the existing connections and run a four-conductor wire to the pickup.  I chose to use some shielded cable that I had handy, and I grounded the shield to the pickup casing.  I also ran a wire (not pictured) up to the pickup cover to ground it and keep it from buzzing when touched (I think I need to do that to my EB-3 too - it buzzes every time I touch it).  Here are some shots of the new 4-wire mud, before I tucked the extra slack back under the coils:

In order to accomplish all of the switching permutations, I used two push/pull pots wired up in the following configuration:

The volume pot switches between humbucking and single-coil mode, and the tone pot's switch changes the relationship of the pickup coils from series to parallel wiring.  This has a marked effect on the impedance and sound of the pickup.  In normal series-mode, the pickup measured about 30K.  Single-coil mode cuts that in half, and parallel-mode drops the impedance down to about 7.5K.

The most difficult part of this whole thing wasn't splitting the pickup coils - it was fitting those pots in the control cavity.  I couldn't get the cover back on because the pots are so tall!  I ended up taking out the brass shield insert and sanding down a couple of high spots in the wood.  Barely got everything to fit!  I probably would not have done that if the bass didn't already have repaired body damage/mods.  Here's a shot of the new wiring harness:

So hows it all sound?  Well- the differences between the various settings are subtle, but were immediately obvious to me.  Since we're only talking about a single pickup, the changes are not as dramatic as say phase reversal between two pickups.  The best way I can describe it is that as you drop to single-coil and parallel mode, the sound becomes more clear, articulate, and less "saturated" or "muddy".  It still sounds undeniably like a mudbucker in every setting.  I made an audio clip to try and demonstrate the differences:

http://www.hillscloud.com/music/EB0_Modification.mp3

This clip just repeats the same passage, iterating thru the following settings:

1.  Stock mudbucker w/coils in series
2.  Coils in parallel
3.  Single coil
4.  Single coil w/tone rolled off
5.  Stock mud w/tone rolled off a bit

I tried to record that as raw as possible.  It's just bass -> Alembic F-2B preamp (set flat) -> computer via M-Audio 1814.  You probably need to listen thru phones or some decent monitors to fully appreciate the subtle differences in tone.

Hope this helps to satisfy anyone else's curiousity about this type of modification!
Regards,
Joe

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 04:39:59 PM »
Very cool, you do get a nice range of sounds from it. Did you use a push/pull switch for the single coil mode?

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 05:13:27 PM »
Quote from: Redbird
Did you use a push/pull switch for the single coil mode?

Yeah- if you pull up on the volume control, then it clicks it into single coil mode, and if you pull up on the tone, it puts it in parallel humbucker mode.  When both knobs are pushed down, it assumes its stock behavior.

Single coil mode and parallel humbucker mode are very close in sound - IIRC, single coil mode had just a trace bit more emphasis in the mids.  The only problem with single coil mode is that you can hear the faint hum and buzzzzzz - especially under whisper quiet recording conditions.
Regards,
Joe

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 08:45:15 PM »
Wow - sounds great! I like that figure that you play, and I like the fact that it's making my desk vibrate at work! I like the bite the single coil version has.

Did you adjust the volume on the recording to match them? You may have already addressed that, just thought I'd ask anyway.

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 09:27:36 PM »
Quote from: hieronymous
Wow - sounds great! I like that figure that you play, and I like the fact that it's making my desk vibrate at work! I like the bite the single coil version has.

Did you adjust the volume on the recording to match them? You may have already addressed that, just thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks- and yes that's a great point.  I did attempt to set the levels on each clip to match.  I didn't want a burst of mud to send anyones speaker cones flying across the room!   :twisted:

The volume drops a bit when you are in anything other than full series-mudbucker mode (the stock setting).  The single coil and parallel mode are roughly the same volume, but noticably lower than the full mud mode.
Regards,
Joe

jules

• View Profile
EB0 mod
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 03:34:25 AM »
Wow, what a great mod. I need to make one. The parallel sound is very clear, but like you say, still all mudbucker.

How hard was it to do? I've got an EB3 project that could use a bit of that.

Excellent post, thanks for sharing.

Re: EB0 mod
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 04:47:09 AM »
Quote from: jules
How hard was it to do? I've got an EB3 project that could use a bit of that.

It was easier than I expected.  The worst part for me was finding out that I couldn't put the control cavity cover back on with those tall pots in there.   A close call on that one.

I don't know if it is safe to assume that all sidewinders have as much slack in the coil wires as mine did - but if so, there was plenty there to work with.  I kind of went in with the notion that I'd be soldering connections right up against the coils or something.

I have some super-narrow needlenose pliers that I used to reach in uder the coils and carefully chisel out and gently extract the wires.  There was a bit of this gummy, crusty black adhesive gunk holding them in place, but that easily gave way.  You just have to be careful not to slip and gouge the coil in the process.  Once you get those wires pulled out of there, its smooth sailing.
Regards,
Joe

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 11:54:28 AM »
I used those push pull pots on my EB-0 and the control cover is a bit bowed out over the push/pull pot.

You can see the slight bow in the reflection on it here-

santi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 06:11:13 PM »
Great job!
Thank you for share it.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 09:31:56 PM »
If you are not too bugged by the cover not being flush, you could set a sort of gasket open cover on the control cavity, then the regular cover on top.  That extra depth would allow the pots to clear.
boom

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 09:42:46 PM »
Quote from: eb2
If you are not too bugged by the cover not being flush, you could set a sort of gasket open cover on the control cavity, then the regular cover on top.  That extra depth would allow the pots to clear.

As it sits now, mine's got the same issue as Redbird's - little buldge on the cover.  The gasket idea would work perfect to fix that - thanks!
Regards,
Joe

doom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 01:34:26 PM »
Nice mod chromium. I especially like the parallell mode.

EB0 mudbucker wiring
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 10:51:19 AM »
Hi,

I have done similar experimentation with a MM pickup, trying series, parallel and single coil wirings but also one more - very interesting one indeed - what I call the series wiring with high-pass coil tap.

So, how does it work ??

Well, very easy: from your connecting point between the two coils - instead of just grounding it as a coil tap would do - what you need is to ground it via a capacitor: in this way the coil will be gradually tapped as the frequency increases. In other words you'll get the series wiring for lower frequency (where the capacitor's impedance is very high) and starting somewhere in the midrange all the way up to the treble, you'll gradually get more of a single coil tone (since the coil tap will become effective with the lower capacitor's impedance at high frequencies). You'll have to experiment with a few capacitor values somewhere in the 0.5-5.0 µF range.

As a result you'll have a very addictive combination of the "ooomph" from the serial winding and the airy open top of the single coil, with an additional very interesting sounding phase-shift effect in the midrange. It works very well wfor my MM style pickup added in a Fender P-bass 51 reissue in the MM spot !!!

If you try it, please let me know of the results !

Cheers,
Zak
ZakSnaporaz

Re: EB0 mudbucker wiring
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 09:35:02 PM »
Quote from: zaksnaporaz
Hi,

I have done similar experimentation with a MM pickup, trying series, parallel and single coil wirings but also one more - very interesting one indeed - what I call the series wiring with high-pass coil tap.

So, how does it work ??

Well, very easy: from your connecting point between the two coils - instead of just grounding it as a coil tap would do - what you need is to ground it via a capacitor: in this way the coil will be gradually tapped as the frequency increases. In other words you'll get the series wiring for lower frequency (where the capacitor's impedance is very high) and starting somewhere in the midrange all the way up to the treble, you'll gradually get more of a single coil tone (since the coil tap will become effective with the lower capacitor's impedance at high frequencies). You'll have to experiment with a few capacitor values somewhere in the 0.5-5.0 µF range.

As a result you'll have a very addictive combination of the "ooomph" from the serial winding and the airy open top of the single coil, with an additional very interesting sounding phase-shift effect in the midrange. It works very well wfor my MM style pickup added in a Fender P-bass 51 reissue in the MM spot !!!

If you try it, please let me know of the results !

Cheers,
Zak

Wow- thanks Zak!  Sounds like a novel idea.  I look forward to experimenting with this!
Regards,
Joe

jules

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 06:14:26 PM »
Joe,

i'm working with something like this on my current EB project.

can you confirm that the two pots are the same? I know you have listed them as both 500k push pull, but your diagram shows 3 connectors on one and 6 on the other. Are they they same?

Thanks
Jules

Recent posts on vintage guitar and bass

1970 Rosetti Epiphone guitar catalogScan of 1970 Epiphone guitar catalogue produced by Rosetti for the UK market. Undated but most likely from mid-late 1970, this was the first UK catalogue to show the new range of Japanese (Matsumoku) Epiphone guitars. Interestingly, these pages show the Epiphone solid bodies with a single-sided Fender-style headstock layout - a feature quickly replaced with a typical two-sided Epiphone headstock almost immediately. Epiphone electric guitars: 9520, 9525; bass guitars: 9521, 9526; acoustic guitars: 6730, 6830, 6834
1971 A World of Guitars by Rosetti catalogueScan of 1971 Rosetti catalogue (UK) featuring guitars from from numerous manufacturers worldwide: guitars by Epiphone, Hagstrom, Levin, Hoyer, Egmond, Eros, Moridaira, Kiso-Suzuki, Schaller, and Tatra.
1971 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1971 Selmer guitar catalogue showing the range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Gibson, Yamaha, Selmer, Hofner and Suzuki. 1960s Selmer had always placed Hofner at the front end of their catalogues, no doubt these were the better sellers - but into the 1970s Hofner were slipping somewhat and only appear at the tail end of this publication, pride of place going to Gibson, and to a lesser extent Yamaha. In fact this is the last Selmer catalogue to include the many Hofner hollow bodies (Committee, President, Senator etc) that had defined the companies output for so many years - to be replaced in the 1972 catalogue by generic solid body 'copies' of Gibson and Fender models. A number of new Gibson models are included for the first time: the SG-100 and SG-200 six string guitars and the SB-300 and SB-400 basses.
1968 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1968/1969 Selmer guitar catalogue (printed July 1968), showing the entire range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Hofner, Gibson, Selmer and Giannini. Selmer were the exclusive United Kingdom distributors of Hofner and Gibson at the time, and this catalogue contains a total of 18 electric guitars, 7 bass guitars, 37 acoustics, and 2 Hawaiian guitars - all produced outside the UK and imported by Selmer, with UK prices included in guineas. This catalogue saw the (re-)introduction of the late sixties Gibson Les Paul Custom and Les Paul Standard (see page 69) and the short-lived Hofner Club 70. Other electric models include: HOFNER ELECTRICS: Committee, Verithin 66, Ambassador, President, Senator, Galaxie, HOFNER BASSES: Violin bass, Verithin bass, Senator bass, Professional bass GIBSON ELECTRICS: Barney Kessel, ES-330TD, ES-335TD, ES-345TD, ES-175D, ES-125CD, SG Standard, SG Junior, SG Special GIBSON BASSES: EB-0, EB-2, EB-3 - plus a LOT of acoustics branded Gibson, Hofner, Selmer and Giannini
1961 Hofner Colorama IHofner Colorama was the name UK distributor Selmer gave to a series of solid and semi-solid guitars built by Hofner for distribution in the UK. The construction and specifications of the guitars varied over the period of production, but by 1961 it was a totally solid, double cutaway instrument, with a set neck, translucent cherry finish, six-in-a-row headstock, and Hofner Diamond logo pickups. Available as a single or dual pickup guitar, this sngle pickup version would have been sold in mainland Europe as the Hofner 161.
1971 Commodore N25 (Matsumoku)Commodore was a brand applied to a series of guitars produced in Japan at the well-respected Matsumoku plant from the late 1960s to the mid 1970s - and sold primarily (perhaps exclusively?) in the United Kingdom. The models bearing the Commodore name were all guitars available from different distributors with different branding. Although there may have been some minor changes in appointments (specifically headstock branding) most had the same basic bodies, hardware and construction. Equivalent models to the Commodore N25 (and this is by no means an exhaustive list) include the Aria 5102T, Conrad 5102T(?), Electra 2221, Lyle 5102T, Ventura V-1001, Univox Coily - and most famously the Epiphone 5102T / Epiphone EA-250.
1960 Hofner Colorama IIThe Hofner Colorama was the name given by Selmer to a series of solid (and semi-solid) body Hofner guitars distributed in the United Kingdom between 1958 and 1965. The Colorama name actually applied to some quite different guitars over the period, but in 1960 it was a very light, semi-solid, set necked guitar with one (Colorama I) or two (Colorama II, as seen here) Toaster pickups. Although an entry-level guitar, it was very well-built, and a fine playing guitar; certainly a step up (at least in terms of craftsmanship) from many of the Colorama guitars that would follow, and a good deal of the guitars available in Britain circa 1960.
1971 Epiphone 1820 (ET-280) bassBy the end of the 1960s, a decision had been made to move Epiphone guitar production from the USA (at the Kalamazoo plant where Gibson guitars were made), to Matsumoto in Japan, creating a line of guitars and basses significantly less expensive than the USA-built models (actually less than half the price). The Matsumoku factory had been producing guitars for export for some time, but the 1820 bass (alongside a number of guitar models and the 5120 electric acoustic bass) were the first Epiphone models to be made there. These new Epiphones were based on existing Matsumoku guitars, sharing body shapes, and hardware, but the Epiphone line was somewhat upgraded, with inlaid logos and a 2x2 peghead configuration. Over the course of the 70s, the Japanese output improved dramatically, and in many ways these early 70s models are a low point for the brand. Having said this, there are a lot worse guitars out there, and as well as being historically important, the 1820 bass can certainly provide the goods when required.
1981 Gibson MarauderProduction of Bill Lawrence's Gibson Marauder began in 1974, with production peaking in 1978. But by 1980 the model was officially discontinued, though very small numbers slipped out as late as spring 1981. Over 7000 examples shipped between 1974 and 1979, and although no totals are available for 1980 and 1981, it is unlikely production reached three figures in either of these years. These final Marauders were all assembled at the Gibson Nashville plant, and had some nice features not available through the later years of production, such as a rosewood fretboard, and in this case, an opaque 'Devil Red' finish. It's a great looking and fine playing guitar!