Vintage Guitar and Bass forum

Varitone switch sounds on EB3

barend

• View Profile
« on: June 09, 2008, 10:49:23 PM »
I have just bought a 1968 EB3. I played on it today but I am little bit confused about the varitone switch and the combination with the volume knobs.

Can someone describe exactly what each position of the varitone switch should do?

to me position 2 and 3 sound almost similar.

I just want to be sure that my bass has the original wiring

barend

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 11:59:38 PM »
ok, I have found what the switch does. Correct me if I am wrong:

position 1: neck pickup with tone choke
position 2: bridge pickup
position 3: both pickups
position 4: neck pickup

what is strange in position 3 is that when I set the volume of the neck pickup all the way down and the volume of the bridge pickup all the way up there is no sound. It is also like that the other way around (neck pickup set to 10, bridge pickup to 0).

Does this has something to do with series or parallel wiring? and is that way it should be?

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 06:13:30 AM »
Position 3 is both pickups with the neck pickup through the choke, (I think, or it might be the choke and a resistor, or just a resistor) which is why it sounds almost the same as position 2, (bridge pickup)
The choke or resistor strangles the neck pickup to the point where the little bridge mini humbucker almost completely drowns it out!
I always thought the chokes Gibson put in guitars (they were used in ES-345s and ES355s too) and basses were a really dumb idea. I suppose they were trying to get the most sounds possible with the passive circuitry available at the time, but it always sounded lousy to me. All they can do is cut a frequency. They also had a few resistors in the EB-3 circuit which can only be to knock down the output of something or to isolate pickups from each other in certain combinations, which usually has a detrimental effect on tone.
I was told ages ago by the late noted amp guru Ken Fischer of Trainwreck fame (he was local to me and I was over there a lot with repairs in the '80s) that the EB-3s played by Jack Bruce and Andy Fraser were modded by someone in the UK. I know about the Dan Armstrong diode mod in Jack's bass, but this referred to something else.
It's virtually impossible to duplicate Fraser's tone with a stock EB-3. Once I had an EB-0 that had an EB-3 treble pickup added, but no Vaitone, just straight, both pickups in parallel...that was the Fraser tone! Wouldn't surprise me if that was the mod.
If I remember correctly, Ken got this info from a guy named Carl Hill, who played bass in a band called Doug Brockie's Sky Force who were in the Cream mold. Carl played an EB-3 at the time and was/IS a gifted player. He played with Ginger Baker in the '70s for a brief while.
Anyway, as for the volume pot issue, that's normal for just about all Gibsons. It's how they're wired, if you turn either volume control down all the way with both pickups on it will turn the bass off. All pickup combinations in an EB-3 are parallel, by the way.

barend

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 08:54:12 AM »
Thanks guitarshark that is just the info I needed!.
So now I know the wiring on my bass is original.
Didn't know about the tone choke of the neck pickup in position 3...that is what got me confused in the beginning.

that brings another question to my mind:
Is it possible to have it modded so position 3 (or position 4 which is too muddy for me) will be both pickups, plain without tone choke? and how do I do that?

and what position of the variswitch do you think Jack Bruce was using?
(position 3 with neck pickup at 10 and bridge at 8 comes close I think)

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 02:51:23 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks guitarshark that is just the info I needed!.
So now I know the wiring on my bass is original.
Didn't know about the tone choke of the neck pickup in position 3...that is what got me confused in the beginning.

that brings another question to my mind:
Is it possible to have it modded so position 3 (or position 4 which is too muddy for me) will be both pickups, plain without tone choke? and how do I do that?

and what position of the variswitch do you think Jack Bruce was using?
(position 3 with neck pickup at 10 and bridge at 8 comes close I think)

It's possible. I had it done to a '68 EB-3 back in '85. The guy that did it for me said it was a pain to do it...he had to strip all the existing wires and resistors from the wafer switch and go through it with a multimeter to figure out which contacts connected to where.
It was: position 1, straight neck pickup, pos. 2, straight bridge pickup, (these 2 were the same as stock) position 3, both pickups in parallel, no choke or resistors. There's really nothing for position 4 to do unless you wanted to install a 3 or 4 conductor lead on one pickup for coil split or phase reversal.
I replaced the mudbucker with a DiMarzio Model One on that bass in '85 and used pos. 4 for the Dual Sound (parallel coils) I hated that pickup, though. Before I tried the DiMarzio, I had the mudbucker wired for coil split. Didn't make that much difference in the sound, slightly less output, slightly more hum!
I think you're very close to the Jack Bruce setting. I never went though photos to see how he had the Varitone set, but I arrived at basically the same settings as you except I rolled back the tone a bit on the bridge pickup. It seems much brighter than Jack's tone with the tone full up, but of course it depends on your amp and amp settings too.
Caveat: If your bass' electronics are stock, you should think carefully before modding them. You'll seriously devalue the bass by altering it.

barend

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 09:27:07 PM »
thanks again for the info,

I am not going to change the pickups. I like them just how they are. If it is such a big change I keep it this way. I thought it maybe was a small mod to get the sound of both plain pickups but apparently it is not that easy.

Quote from: guitarshark
Anyway, as for the volume pot issue, that's normal for just about all Gibsons. It's how they're wired, if you turn either volume control down all the way with both pickups on it will turn the bass off. All pickup combinations in an EB-3 are parallel, by the way.

why is this so? I think it is kind of unlogical. Most (non Gibson) basses with two pickups have independent volume pots for both pickups. That makes it easier for dialing in the sound of one of the pickups.
And what models of Gibson are you talking about?. I have three: EB3, SG RI and G3 and I had a Ripper once. Only the EB3 has this.

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 09:48:59 PM »
why is this so? I think it is kind of unlogical. Most (non Gibson) basses with two pickups have independent volume pots for both pickups. That makes it easier for dialing in the sound of one of the pickups.
And what models of Gibson are you talking about?. I have three: EB3, SG RI and G3 and I had a Ripper once. Only the EB3 has this.

I don't really know. Just about all 2 pickup 2 volume control Gibsons are this way.
Go into a store and try out any Les Paul, SG, or ES-335, etc. guitar, that's how they are.
The Ripper and G-3 have a single volume control for all pickups, and the SG RI has no toggle, it's wired like a Jazz Bass, (volume, volume, tone, so this doesn't apply to these instruments.
Why did they do it that way? Maybe they didn't know of any other way to do it. Maybe they figured that you'd use the volume controls to get a blend but you wouldn't need to turn either volume pot down all the way since you have the toggle switch to get one pickup or the other full on. Example: '60-/61 stack knob Fender Jazz Basses were wired like this, Without a toggle switch, it woulldn't be good if turning one of the volume controls down all the way shut the bass off, so Fender added two 220K resistors to isolate the pickups from each other. This works, but F***s up the sound. Stock stack knobs are kinda dull sounding because of this.
When Fender reissued the stack knobs in '82 they wired them a little differently, 2 wires are moved, there's an extra wire not found on an original, and no resistors. This circuit sounds much better, but when either TONE pot is turned down past a certain point, one pot starts to affect both pickups. I'm not an electronics expert, but perhaps you can't have completely independent controls.

barend

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 10:12:27 PM »
Very interesting points!

that brings me to two another questions regarding the EB3. Don't want to start another topic.

When I use position 4 (neck pickup solo) of the EB3 I have a nice and very useful sound, not too muddy as I expected but a nice growl. But when I solo the neck pickup of my SG RI surpreme it sounds much more muddy than on the EB3 so you almost need to dial in the neck pickup. Do some of you have the same experience?

and question number two:
the tuners on the 1968 EB3 are not the ear shaped tuners but the other ones that you see on Gibsons a lot. They have the Gibson logo and 'made in germany' printed on, I guess they are Schallers.
But I think these tuners are original, since there are absolutely no signs of holes or whatever from other tuners. And these tuners are smaller than the ear shaped tuners so you must be able see it if they had been replaced.
I also checked the serial number and the pots and the bass is from 1968.
So what year were these other tuners put on Gibson basses for the first time?

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 07:52:28 AM »
About the tuners - they seem to show up on Gibsons sometime after 1968.  They appear on EB2s after the EB3s venture into the slot-head style.  The EB2s kept the regular headstock, and old tuners, but sometime afterwards the Schallers show up on those, so early 70s.  There appears to be an odd number of later EB3s that have them stock, but the question is when did the leave the factory?  Several - like yours - have 1968 features and serial numbers, but it is not unheard of for Gibson basses to seemingly have been hanging around partially finished.  There have been a few odd cases where that would make more sense, such as a typically 70s tuner showing up on a bass made before they were used.  Or the old tailpieces or finger-rest metal pieces on a bass that was made long after the switch.  I suspect that Gibson was trying to cut back the number of seconds, and may have been keeping a stock of things that could be used/fixed later with parts, new necks, etc.
boom

doom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 08:27:38 AM »
My EB-3 (solid headstock) also has those tuners. Pot codes show 25th week of 1969.

I don't think the original wiring of the EB-3 is optimal for my use so I ended up making a redrawn scematic for it. I have'nt actually rewired yet but the thought is it should in:

Pos1. Mudbucker full out with no choke function at all. Originally it actually cuts whatever high frequensy comes out of it.

Pos2. Both pups and Mudbucker still unchoked.

Pos3. Both pups and Mudbucker using the resistor and cap only.

Pos4. Both pickups and also activating the coil. Same as original pos 3.

Original schematics:

barend

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 09:58:20 AM »
good to know that your bass has the same tuners. Now I know for sure that these are original on my 68 EB3.

Let me know how it sounds if you have it rewired. Still I also like the sound with the bridge pickup soloed. If you add some bass on your amp it sounds good.

And about the muddier sounding SG RI neck pickup:
Of course the SG RI has the same pickup as a Thunderbird and therefore sounds different (muddier) than the neck pickup of the EB3.
It lacks a bit the growl that the EB3 has.

Do you think position 4 (neck pickup solo) is too muddy? I like it.
What is muddy is position 1, the neck pickup with the choke, not a lot of defenition there. I don't think I can use that sound in a band. What I also noticed it that position 1 is louder than all other positions. Why is that?

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 12:32:30 AM »
I have a Walnut slothead EB-3, it sounds good, I usually use position 3 and cut the tone a little. I do wish there was a way to run both pickups wide open though with no choke and be able to adjust the volumes, back off the neck pickup a little, I wonder what it would sound like? I hate to rewire it though as it's pretty good shape and all original except for the bridge cover.

barend

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 09:16:09 AM »
Do you use the string damper a lot?

I like it, but I noticed that I have to tune my g string when I put the damper on, the tone goes sharp when using it. Is there a way to avoid that?

doom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 12:23:11 AM »
Hi' Bob! Nice to see you here. You helped me back in the DP days with wiring my Ric in a good way (adjustable bridge cap). The reason I've hesitated to rewire is also the nice original condition but maybe I will reconsider since basses are supposed to fulfill your needs and a rewiring is not irreversable. Maybe some day....

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 02:47:54 AM »
Quote from: barend
Do you use the string damper a lot?

I like it, but I noticed that I have to tune my g string when I put the damper on, the tone goes sharp when using it. Is there a way to avoid that?

Yes, loosen the acorn nut on the G string side until the problem disappears...that's what they're there for.

Recent posts on vintage guitar and bass

1970 Rosetti Epiphone guitar catalogScan of 1970 Epiphone guitar catalogue produced by Rosetti for the UK market. Undated but most likely from mid-late 1970, this was the first UK catalogue to show the new range of Japanese (Matsumoku) Epiphone guitars. Interestingly, these pages show the Epiphone solid bodies with a single-sided Fender-style headstock layout - a feature quickly replaced with a typical two-sided Epiphone headstock almost immediately. Epiphone electric guitars: 9520, 9525; bass guitars: 9521, 9526; acoustic guitars: 6730, 6830, 6834
1971 A World of Guitars by Rosetti catalogueScan of 1971 Rosetti catalogue (UK) featuring guitars from from numerous manufacturers worldwide: guitars by Epiphone, Hagstrom, Levin, Hoyer, Egmond, Eros, Moridaira, Kiso-Suzuki, Schaller, and Tatra.
1971 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1971 Selmer guitar catalogue showing the range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Gibson, Yamaha, Selmer, Hofner and Suzuki. 1960s Selmer had always placed Hofner at the front end of their catalogues, no doubt these were the better sellers - but into the 1970s Hofner were slipping somewhat and only appear at the tail end of this publication, pride of place going to Gibson, and to a lesser extent Yamaha. In fact this is the last Selmer catalogue to include the many Hofner hollow bodies (Committee, President, Senator etc) that had defined the companies output for so many years - to be replaced in the 1972 catalogue by generic solid body 'copies' of Gibson and Fender models. A number of new Gibson models are included for the first time: the SG-100 and SG-200 six string guitars and the SB-300 and SB-400 basses.
1968 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1968/1969 Selmer guitar catalogue (printed July 1968), showing the entire range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Hofner, Gibson, Selmer and Giannini. Selmer were the exclusive United Kingdom distributors of Hofner and Gibson at the time, and this catalogue contains a total of 18 electric guitars, 7 bass guitars, 37 acoustics, and 2 Hawaiian guitars - all produced outside the UK and imported by Selmer, with UK prices included in guineas. This catalogue saw the (re-)introduction of the late sixties Gibson Les Paul Custom and Les Paul Standard (see page 69) and the short-lived Hofner Club 70. Other electric models include: HOFNER ELECTRICS: Committee, Verithin 66, Ambassador, President, Senator, Galaxie, HOFNER BASSES: Violin bass, Verithin bass, Senator bass, Professional bass GIBSON ELECTRICS: Barney Kessel, ES-330TD, ES-335TD, ES-345TD, ES-175D, ES-125CD, SG Standard, SG Junior, SG Special GIBSON BASSES: EB-0, EB-2, EB-3 - plus a LOT of acoustics branded Gibson, Hofner, Selmer and Giannini
1961 Hofner Colorama IHofner Colorama was the name UK distributor Selmer gave to a series of solid and semi-solid guitars built by Hofner for distribution in the UK. The construction and specifications of the guitars varied over the period of production, but by 1961 it was a totally solid, double cutaway instrument, with a set neck, translucent cherry finish, six-in-a-row headstock, and Hofner Diamond logo pickups. Available as a single or dual pickup guitar, this sngle pickup version would have been sold in mainland Europe as the Hofner 161.
1971 Commodore N25 (Matsumoku)Commodore was a brand applied to a series of guitars produced in Japan at the well-respected Matsumoku plant from the late 1960s to the mid 1970s - and sold primarily (perhaps exclusively?) in the United Kingdom. The models bearing the Commodore name were all guitars available from different distributors with different branding. Although there may have been some minor changes in appointments (specifically headstock branding) most had the same basic bodies, hardware and construction. Equivalent models to the Commodore N25 (and this is by no means an exhaustive list) include the Aria 5102T, Conrad 5102T(?), Electra 2221, Lyle 5102T, Ventura V-1001, Univox Coily - and most famously the Epiphone 5102T / Epiphone EA-250.
1960 Hofner Colorama IIThe Hofner Colorama was the name given by Selmer to a series of solid (and semi-solid) body Hofner guitars distributed in the United Kingdom between 1958 and 1965. The Colorama name actually applied to some quite different guitars over the period, but in 1960 it was a very light, semi-solid, set necked guitar with one (Colorama I) or two (Colorama II, as seen here) Toaster pickups. Although an entry-level guitar, it was very well-built, and a fine playing guitar; certainly a step up (at least in terms of craftsmanship) from many of the Colorama guitars that would follow, and a good deal of the guitars available in Britain circa 1960.
1971 Epiphone 1820 (ET-280) bassBy the end of the 1960s, a decision had been made to move Epiphone guitar production from the USA (at the Kalamazoo plant where Gibson guitars were made), to Matsumoto in Japan, creating a line of guitars and basses significantly less expensive than the USA-built models (actually less than half the price). The Matsumoku factory had been producing guitars for export for some time, but the 1820 bass (alongside a number of guitar models and the 5120 electric acoustic bass) were the first Epiphone models to be made there. These new Epiphones were based on existing Matsumoku guitars, sharing body shapes, and hardware, but the Epiphone line was somewhat upgraded, with inlaid logos and a 2x2 peghead configuration. Over the course of the 70s, the Japanese output improved dramatically, and in many ways these early 70s models are a low point for the brand. Having said this, there are a lot worse guitars out there, and as well as being historically important, the 1820 bass can certainly provide the goods when required.
1981 Gibson MarauderProduction of Bill Lawrence's Gibson Marauder began in 1974, with production peaking in 1978. But by 1980 the model was officially discontinued, though very small numbers slipped out as late as spring 1981. Over 7000 examples shipped between 1974 and 1979, and although no totals are available for 1980 and 1981, it is unlikely production reached three figures in either of these years. These final Marauders were all assembled at the Gibson Nashville plant, and had some nice features not available through the later years of production, such as a rosewood fretboard, and in this case, an opaque 'Devil Red' finish. It's a great looking and fine playing guitar!