Vintage Guitar and Bass forum

Les Paul Triumph - quotes by Les Paul

jules

• View Profile
« on: June 05, 2008, 12:24:36 AM »
Hey, look at this Triumph on ebay

... if you read through, he has some quotes from Les Paul whom he discussed the Triumph with

“With a balanced low-impedance output, you could use long cables without all the problems inherent in unbalanced high-impedance lines,” says Les.

“Gibson was keen on having the low-impedance transformer close to the amp, so we made a special cable with a transformer on the other end, which you had to have in order to use it. But if you forgot your cable, you were out of luck—so we added the switch to go from low to high impedance. I tried to talk them out of staying with the short scale, but they didn’t want to change to a longer scale like on the Fender.”

Was it designed to compete directly with the Fender Precision?
“Leo Fender was a dear friend and deserves a pat on the back for coming up with a great design. One [switch] position on the Les Paul Bass was meant to sound just like the Precision, and all the other settings were extra choices for the player.

The Triumph sounded so good it was scary; it was the finest bass I knew how to come up with, but the kids of that time were not ready for so many options. If I could have done something different, I would have made a bass with one great sound. Simpler is better—like a water faucet.”

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 05:49:13 AM »
Here's the original article that he quoted in its entirety:

http://www.bassplayer.com/article/1972- ... c-06/24302
Regards,
Joe

jules

• View Profile
Les Paul interview
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 01:46:41 PM »
ahhh... Yeah I emailed the seller, thinking he'd interviewed Les about it...

Thanks for posting that.

Les is 93 and still tinkering with guitars. On my recent visit to Kalamazoo I interviewed Chuck Burge, (part of the design team that came up with the RD Artist and Victory basses - ) who is winding pickups for him still - different wires, different magnets and so on

I wonder how he'd do a Les Paul bass differently 40 years on?

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 04:37:56 PM »
When I met him in New York, he told me what a great bass it was, but he thought it had too many options that confused players. He also said it should have been long scale to compete better with Fender.

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 08:41:49 AM »
Despite the pitfalls that some people might see with the existing design, I think it's an awesome bass. I love that it has such a variance of useable tones. Sure a long scale option would have been nice.......

G

www.motherlodeonline.co.uk

1973 Les Paul Triumph bass
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 05:59:42 PM »
Hey boys and girls,
I'm new to this but it seems like this is a very knowledgable and active forum on important guitars (the old ones) including the Les Paul Triumph bass.  I just pulled my Triumph (#114091) out of a closet and want to know how much it is worth.  Forgive me in that I have forgotten much more info than I have retained through the years.  I ordered it from Gibson through a music store it in 1973 (I was just a little kid from Texas).  I was a big fan of ZZ Top and loved the look of Billy Gibbons Les Paul so I ordered my Gibson bass in sunburst.  The store forgot to charge me the extra $35 for custom colors so it came to me in the standard walnut finish which I really do like.  I played in a garage band called the "Dry Heaves".  Yeah, I know, you never heard of us.  We had very few paying gigs and most of the fees went to pay our bar tabs.  Our lead guitarist played an original Gibson Firebird and our rhythm guitarist, his brother, played an original Gibson SG.  They were a couple of really great players.  But brothers being brothers they were fairly volatile.  Rock & Roll.  Stones, Illinois Speed Press, Poco, Eagles, etc.  I haven't played this bass or any other bass in a very long time.  Don't have pictures yet but it is truly like new!  No scratches, not a ding on it.  Has the Gibson hard case and neither have been abused.  This is the last of my old toys and I hate to part with it but someone else needs to carry the torch.  I saw the one on ebay and it's seen some good times but this one is perfect.  Met some old timers through music like Freddie King, Bugs Henderson, Mark Andes(Spirit, Heart), etc. none of which would remember me, so this baby holds some very fond memories for me but the saying goes that when you don't use something for a year you don't need it, much less 30+ years.  Anyway, give me your advice, input, thoughts, etc.  I do appreciate you and what you do.

jules

• View Profile
Triumph value
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 07:25:51 PM »
Hi and welcome

Triumphs in good, original condition go anywhere between $1000 and $2000 depending on how good, how complete, how many people want it, where you sell it and and so on.

On ebay you'd be very lucky to get 2k, (but I guess that is a typical shop price) - but how good your pics are, when you list, your feedback score etc will have some impact.

Come on, dig out an old photo of your band - thats what we all want to see!

Re: Triumph value
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 07:59:25 PM »
Hi and welcome

Triumphs in good, original condition go anywhere between $1000 and $2000 depending on how good, how complete, how many people want it, where you sell it and and so on.

On ebay you'd be very lucky to get 2k, (but I guess that is a typical shop price) - but how good your pics are, when you list, your feedback score etc will have some impact.

Come on, dig out an old photo of your band - thats what we all want to see!

Jules,
The Witness Protection Program prohibits exhibition of old photos and we only had Kodak Brownie cameras back in the olden days anyway.  Actually if I had a picture no one would including myself recognize me from it.  Hey thanks for the help guys.  I'll try to post some pics of the bass quickly.
Gene

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 09:49:36 PM »
Hi Gene,

I'm on the prowl for a Triumph - sent you a message with my contact info.

Cheers,
Joe
Regards,
Joe

1973 Gibson Les Paul Triumph bass pictures
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 08:06:17 PM »
Hey boys & girls,
I'm trying to post pics of my bass on this site but I haven't figured it out yet but I can e-mail some if you know how to post them.  It's worth seeing but I don't have pictures of the "Dry Heaves".  We did a shot in front of a Campbell 66 Express freight truck with the camel logo and "Humpin' to Please" phrase on the side.  We were going to add "by the Dry Heaves".  That was for an album we never cut.  That was back in the days of the LPs if anyone remembers them.  Those were the days!
Gene[/url]

jules

• View Profile
Genes Triumph
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 06:42:09 PM »
well here is Genes photoset - click on the imges for larger versions.... a very nice Triumph, and well photographed too!

santi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 09:42:36 PM »
It´s so beatiful... Thank you for the photos.

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 10:19:23 PM »
I've never been a big Triumph fan, but  DAY-um thats sweet!

Thanks for sharing, G

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 06:30:34 AM »
I'm starting to fall for these beautys

Nice looking bass. How does the neck feel?

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 01:28:04 PM »
Un-vintagy thin and comfortable is how it feels. All the massive tone of this bass comes from the voluminous body.

Recent posts on vintage guitar and bass

1970 Rosetti Epiphone guitar catalogScan of 1970 Epiphone guitar catalogue produced by Rosetti for the UK market. Undated but most likely from mid-late 1970, this was the first UK catalogue to show the new range of Japanese (Matsumoku) Epiphone guitars. Interestingly, these pages show the Epiphone solid bodies with a single-sided Fender-style headstock layout - a feature quickly replaced with a typical two-sided Epiphone headstock almost immediately. Epiphone electric guitars: 9520, 9525; bass guitars: 9521, 9526; acoustic guitars: 6730, 6830, 6834
1971 A World of Guitars by Rosetti catalogueScan of 1971 Rosetti catalogue (UK) featuring guitars from from numerous manufacturers worldwide: guitars by Epiphone, Hagstrom, Levin, Hoyer, Egmond, Eros, Moridaira, Kiso-Suzuki, Schaller, and Tatra.
1971 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1971 Selmer guitar catalogue showing the range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Gibson, Yamaha, Selmer, Hofner and Suzuki. 1960s Selmer had always placed Hofner at the front end of their catalogues, no doubt these were the better sellers - but into the 1970s Hofner were slipping somewhat and only appear at the tail end of this publication, pride of place going to Gibson, and to a lesser extent Yamaha. In fact this is the last Selmer catalogue to include the many Hofner hollow bodies (Committee, President, Senator etc) that had defined the companies output for so many years - to be replaced in the 1972 catalogue by generic solid body 'copies' of Gibson and Fender models. A number of new Gibson models are included for the first time: the SG-100 and SG-200 six string guitars and the SB-300 and SB-400 basses.
1968 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1968/1969 Selmer guitar catalogue (printed July 1968), showing the entire range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Hofner, Gibson, Selmer and Giannini. Selmer were the exclusive United Kingdom distributors of Hofner and Gibson at the time, and this catalogue contains a total of 18 electric guitars, 7 bass guitars, 37 acoustics, and 2 Hawaiian guitars - all produced outside the UK and imported by Selmer, with UK prices included in guineas. This catalogue saw the (re-)introduction of the late sixties Gibson Les Paul Custom and Les Paul Standard (see page 69) and the short-lived Hofner Club 70. Other electric models include: HOFNER ELECTRICS: Committee, Verithin 66, Ambassador, President, Senator, Galaxie, HOFNER BASSES: Violin bass, Verithin bass, Senator bass, Professional bass GIBSON ELECTRICS: Barney Kessel, ES-330TD, ES-335TD, ES-345TD, ES-175D, ES-125CD, SG Standard, SG Junior, SG Special GIBSON BASSES: EB-0, EB-2, EB-3 - plus a LOT of acoustics branded Gibson, Hofner, Selmer and Giannini
1961 Hofner Colorama IHofner Colorama was the name UK distributor Selmer gave to a series of solid and semi-solid guitars built by Hofner for distribution in the UK. The construction and specifications of the guitars varied over the period of production, but by 1961 it was a totally solid, double cutaway instrument, with a set neck, translucent cherry finish, six-in-a-row headstock, and Hofner Diamond logo pickups. Available as a single or dual pickup guitar, this sngle pickup version would have been sold in mainland Europe as the Hofner 161.
1971 Commodore N25 (Matsumoku)Commodore was a brand applied to a series of guitars produced in Japan at the well-respected Matsumoku plant from the late 1960s to the mid 1970s - and sold primarily (perhaps exclusively?) in the United Kingdom. The models bearing the Commodore name were all guitars available from different distributors with different branding. Although there may have been some minor changes in appointments (specifically headstock branding) most had the same basic bodies, hardware and construction. Equivalent models to the Commodore N25 (and this is by no means an exhaustive list) include the Aria 5102T, Conrad 5102T(?), Electra 2221, Lyle 5102T, Ventura V-1001, Univox Coily - and most famously the Epiphone 5102T / Epiphone EA-250.
1960 Hofner Colorama IIThe Hofner Colorama was the name given by Selmer to a series of solid (and semi-solid) body Hofner guitars distributed in the United Kingdom between 1958 and 1965. The Colorama name actually applied to some quite different guitars over the period, but in 1960 it was a very light, semi-solid, set necked guitar with one (Colorama I) or two (Colorama II, as seen here) Toaster pickups. Although an entry-level guitar, it was very well-built, and a fine playing guitar; certainly a step up (at least in terms of craftsmanship) from many of the Colorama guitars that would follow, and a good deal of the guitars available in Britain circa 1960.
1971 Epiphone 1820 (ET-280) bassBy the end of the 1960s, a decision had been made to move Epiphone guitar production from the USA (at the Kalamazoo plant where Gibson guitars were made), to Matsumoto in Japan, creating a line of guitars and basses significantly less expensive than the USA-built models (actually less than half the price). The Matsumoku factory had been producing guitars for export for some time, but the 1820 bass (alongside a number of guitar models and the 5120 electric acoustic bass) were the first Epiphone models to be made there. These new Epiphones were based on existing Matsumoku guitars, sharing body shapes, and hardware, but the Epiphone line was somewhat upgraded, with inlaid logos and a 2x2 peghead configuration. Over the course of the 70s, the Japanese output improved dramatically, and in many ways these early 70s models are a low point for the brand. Having said this, there are a lot worse guitars out there, and as well as being historically important, the 1820 bass can certainly provide the goods when required.
1981 Gibson MarauderProduction of Bill Lawrence's Gibson Marauder began in 1974, with production peaking in 1978. But by 1980 the model was officially discontinued, though very small numbers slipped out as late as spring 1981. Over 7000 examples shipped between 1974 and 1979, and although no totals are available for 1980 and 1981, it is unlikely production reached three figures in either of these years. These final Marauders were all assembled at the Gibson Nashville plant, and had some nice features not available through the later years of production, such as a rosewood fretboard, and in this case, an opaque 'Devil Red' finish. It's a great looking and fine playing guitar!