Vintage Guitar and Bass forum

Ripper/Grabber...

Stephen Carr

Ripper/Grabber...
« on: January 12, 2006, 10:59:34 PM »
Hi, I would like to know if anyone has any idea where the best place to buy one of these is? I am after an ebony gibson ripper fretted or a natural gibson grabber, here is the tough part... I live in england so I cant find any its really hard! I dont mind buying from abroad and I know about shipping costs etc but where should I start on my search for either one of these basses? thanks alot for your time...
                                          ~Stephen  :cry:

jules

• View Profile
ebay.com
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 01:25:16 AM »
Hi Stephen,

Search ebay.com as well as ebay.co.uk

They come up all the time, but often the seller only ships to the US - therefore they don't show up in ebay.co.uk.

If you ask them nicely most will ship to the UK (unless they specifically not in the add)

There are none up now, but I bet there will have been several of both by the end of the month

jules

Stephen Carr

Ripper/Grabber...
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 10:36:58 AM »
Ok thanks for the advice! there is one on now a ripper its been there for months the one thats been "modifyed" but to me they have totally destroyed it! the body is sickening, anyway thanks again for the tips!  :wink:

jules

• View Profile
Ripper
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 02:11:14 PM »
Hi Steve

this looks like a good deal - if you can spare some time to finish the project

black ripper project on ebay.com

There were some pickups on ebay.fr - but I can't see them now...

Stephen Carr

Ripper/Grabber...
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 02:36:26 PM »
Yeah! I just seen that too, I am really into the idea of getting that to restore it to its former glory. I think that would be perfect, I think I'll try and order it asap. If I come across any problems could you give me some info? thanks for letting me know too!

-Stephen

EDIT:Seymour duncan do ripper pick ups, do you think they would be alright?

jules

• View Profile
black ripper
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 04:46:07 PM »
ok,

I just saw your post - i'll let you get it - I was sooo close to clicking buy it now....

Its a deal, but I just got a new ripper yesterday, so I should curb my enthusiasm. Its fretless and i've decided i'm not that keen.....

Yes those pickups will work - but old ones come up often enough. I saw some on ebay .fr the other day, and as I recall they were relatively cheap - they may still be up if you have time to search ebay.fr

I had a quick look and didn't see them though... They may have been in a category other than 'bass'

jules

Stephen Carr

Ripper/Grabber...
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 06:29:36 PM »
Thanks for leaving it lol, your really lucky with getting the frettless too, Ill keep you informed of whats happening.

-Stephen

Stephen Carr

Ripper/Grabber...
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 07:43:13 PM »
I just baught it, should be on its way asap, Im looking forward to it. I was wondering ifyou can tell me what the closest match to ripper tuning keys are? thanks again.

-Stephen

jules

• View Profile
ripper parts
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 08:38:59 PM »
Congrats Steve! I reckon a couple hours work with some polish and a go on a http://Gibson touch up pen will have that looking great. Don't bother with the refin. The black overspray should come off easily enough

as for tuners - they come up all the time - as do most of the other parts - its just a matter of whether you want to wait for the originals. There are none now, but I did find the pickups (see below)

tuners
Schaller still make them (but with Schaller logo, not Gibson). These will fit with no new screw holes etc - you can sell them on when an original set turns up

schaller BM the pic is a bit dark, but i'm 90% certain these are right

there's another set here

You can see them at the Schaller website http://www.schaller-guitarparts.de/1131.htm

pickups
and here are the Ripper pickups in France. You need this type - these mount through the pickup rather than via 3 screws in the casing - you have the former (the rout is slightly different for the latter). This is a lucky find -they don't come up that often.

pickguard
this will be the easiest bit to get - make sure you get one like this (though i'd get a black one) - thats WITHOUT screw holes around the pickup holes

ripper pickguard

Parts you'll have trouble finding are the truss rod cover, and the wiring inside the control cavity.

I have seen loaded pickguards on ebay though... everything comes up eventually.

jules

• View Profile
Bridge
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 08:43:33 PM »
oh yes, the bridge. Replacement 3 point bridges are widely available - but the studs have a different thread - you either need to remove the stud 'holes' from the bass (Carefully heat them with a soldering iron, and lever them out, without damaging the wood - I recently found a ripper that had 'screw-in holes' that needed to be screwed out. - awkward to say the least) . Or you need to track down original posts and/or bridge

Jules

Stephen Carr

Ripper/Grabber...
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 10:59:16 PM »
Thanks for that that helps alot. I will just buy a plain truss rod cover for now, just to get the bass up and running at first will be enough untill such time as I aquire each "original" parts. I will post some pictures so that you can see how it turns out when its finally complete. I am not into modifying it with different pick-up configs I would rather try and restore its former set up, maybe not to the exact specs but as good as I can get it. the only part im troubled about is probabally the wiring but im sure ill figure it out. them sites do help alot. http://ripperbass.com/ he has posted some websites where you can find ripper parts or gibson parts, the pickguard as you say is fairly simple to find. he found a bridge and I think his fit, he baught his bridge from http://www.allparts.com/categories.php?cat_id=439&cat_name=4-STRING%20&%20SINGLE%20STRING (scroll down) not sure if that would fit properlly. I'll also give the touch up pen a whirl, basiccally my main priority will be to get the bass functioning with parts as close to what it would have had first then collecting the original parts in time. thanks alot for that info I shall keep you informed of what happens from now on. thanks.

-Stephen  :D

jules

• View Profile
loaded pickguard
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 04:55:47 AM »
Here you go Steve - maybe this is a coincidence, maybe someone has followed this thread... These don't come up that often

Loaded Ripper pickguard

I reckon it will go for less than the Buy It Now - but it is exactly what you need!

Jules

doom

• View Profile
Ripper/Grabber...
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2006, 09:53:15 AM »
1975-GIBSON-RIPPER-PICKUPS-PICKGUARD-ELECTRONICS

Pickguard complete with pups, pots, switch.

Stephen Carr

Ripper/Grabber...
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2006, 05:53:22 PM »
well it certainy does look conviniet but I dont have the money for that right now. Im not that bothered if the parts are original or not just aslong as they function like older ripper parts would.
plus its in sunburst and id like it to be black but its ok I know where I can get one. the only thing thats going to kill me is the wiring etc, if sombody could post links to some pots and a jack input (similar to what it would have had) that would help alot! tell me, is it very difficult to wire a ripper or can it be done with patience? thanks again especially for posting that... thanks again.

-Stephen

EDIT: I cant seem to find the 4-way selector online does anybody know where to get one? I can find the chicken head knob easy enough but not the selector please let me know where I can find one. thanks.

jules

• View Profile
ripper
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2006, 08:51:02 PM »
wiring it up isn't too hard - its just getting the parts and a soldering iron. The pots are a little shorter than other Gibson pots (because they only go through the plastic, no wood)

Any pots for a grabber or G3 will do (and I suppose a few other models). Other pots will also work - it just means your buttons stick out a bit more

Without the varitone and choke you can still do a temporary circuit - maybe one tone, one vol and a 3 way switch. This could be done very simply, to allow you to get playing very quickly and cheaply

seeing as you are not going for the loaded guard, I put a bid on myself - reserve not met yet though.... Did you bid on the french pups~? I may go for those if you (or anyone else here) doesn't want them - let me know

I don't desperately need them, but I have a ripper with customised guard and EB humbuckers that I could put right one day.....

By the way there's a case up too.... but I assume you can live without that for now
Jules

Recent posts on vintage guitar and bass

1970 Rosetti Epiphone guitar catalogScan of 1970 Epiphone guitar catalogue produced by Rosetti for the UK market. Undated but most likely from mid-late 1970, this was the first UK catalogue to show the new range of Japanese (Matsumoku) Epiphone guitars. Interestingly, these pages show the Epiphone solid bodies with a single-sided Fender-style headstock layout - a feature quickly replaced with a typical two-sided Epiphone headstock almost immediately. Epiphone electric guitars: 9520, 9525; bass guitars: 9521, 9526; acoustic guitars: 6730, 6830, 6834
1971 A World of Guitars by Rosetti catalogueScan of 1971 Rosetti catalogue (UK) featuring guitars from from numerous manufacturers worldwide: guitars by Epiphone, Hagstrom, Levin, Hoyer, Egmond, Eros, Moridaira, Kiso-Suzuki, Schaller, and Tatra.
1971 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1971 Selmer guitar catalogue showing the range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Gibson, Yamaha, Selmer, Hofner and Suzuki. 1960s Selmer had always placed Hofner at the front end of their catalogues, no doubt these were the better sellers - but into the 1970s Hofner were slipping somewhat and only appear at the tail end of this publication, pride of place going to Gibson, and to a lesser extent Yamaha. In fact this is the last Selmer catalogue to include the many Hofner hollow bodies (Committee, President, Senator etc) that had defined the companies output for so many years - to be replaced in the 1972 catalogue by generic solid body 'copies' of Gibson and Fender models. A number of new Gibson models are included for the first time: the SG-100 and SG-200 six string guitars and the SB-300 and SB-400 basses.
1968 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1968/1969 Selmer guitar catalogue (printed July 1968), showing the entire range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Hofner, Gibson, Selmer and Giannini. Selmer were the exclusive United Kingdom distributors of Hofner and Gibson at the time, and this catalogue contains a total of 18 electric guitars, 7 bass guitars, 37 acoustics, and 2 Hawaiian guitars - all produced outside the UK and imported by Selmer, with UK prices included in guineas. This catalogue saw the (re-)introduction of the late sixties Gibson Les Paul Custom and Les Paul Standard (see page 69) and the short-lived Hofner Club 70. Other electric models include: HOFNER ELECTRICS: Committee, Verithin 66, Ambassador, President, Senator, Galaxie, HOFNER BASSES: Violin bass, Verithin bass, Senator bass, Professional bass GIBSON ELECTRICS: Barney Kessel, ES-330TD, ES-335TD, ES-345TD, ES-175D, ES-125CD, SG Standard, SG Junior, SG Special GIBSON BASSES: EB-0, EB-2, EB-3 - plus a LOT of acoustics branded Gibson, Hofner, Selmer and Giannini
1961 Hofner Colorama IHofner Colorama was the name UK distributor Selmer gave to a series of solid and semi-solid guitars built by Hofner for distribution in the UK. The construction and specifications of the guitars varied over the period of production, but by 1961 it was a totally solid, double cutaway instrument, with a set neck, translucent cherry finish, six-in-a-row headstock, and Hofner Diamond logo pickups. Available as a single or dual pickup guitar, this sngle pickup version would have been sold in mainland Europe as the Hofner 161.
1971 Commodore N25 (Matsumoku)Commodore was a brand applied to a series of guitars produced in Japan at the well-respected Matsumoku plant from the late 1960s to the mid 1970s - and sold primarily (perhaps exclusively?) in the United Kingdom. The models bearing the Commodore name were all guitars available from different distributors with different branding. Although there may have been some minor changes in appointments (specifically headstock branding) most had the same basic bodies, hardware and construction. Equivalent models to the Commodore N25 (and this is by no means an exhaustive list) include the Aria 5102T, Conrad 5102T(?), Electra 2221, Lyle 5102T, Ventura V-1001, Univox Coily - and most famously the Epiphone 5102T / Epiphone EA-250.
1960 Hofner Colorama IIThe Hofner Colorama was the name given by Selmer to a series of solid (and semi-solid) body Hofner guitars distributed in the United Kingdom between 1958 and 1965. The Colorama name actually applied to some quite different guitars over the period, but in 1960 it was a very light, semi-solid, set necked guitar with one (Colorama I) or two (Colorama II, as seen here) Toaster pickups. Although an entry-level guitar, it was very well-built, and a fine playing guitar; certainly a step up (at least in terms of craftsmanship) from many of the Colorama guitars that would follow, and a good deal of the guitars available in Britain circa 1960.
1971 Epiphone 1820 (ET-280) bassBy the end of the 1960s, a decision had been made to move Epiphone guitar production from the USA (at the Kalamazoo plant where Gibson guitars were made), to Matsumoto in Japan, creating a line of guitars and basses significantly less expensive than the USA-built models (actually less than half the price). The Matsumoku factory had been producing guitars for export for some time, but the 1820 bass (alongside a number of guitar models and the 5120 electric acoustic bass) were the first Epiphone models to be made there. These new Epiphones were based on existing Matsumoku guitars, sharing body shapes, and hardware, but the Epiphone line was somewhat upgraded, with inlaid logos and a 2x2 peghead configuration. Over the course of the 70s, the Japanese output improved dramatically, and in many ways these early 70s models are a low point for the brand. Having said this, there are a lot worse guitars out there, and as well as being historically important, the 1820 bass can certainly provide the goods when required.
1981 Gibson MarauderProduction of Bill Lawrence's Gibson Marauder began in 1974, with production peaking in 1978. But by 1980 the model was officially discontinued, though very small numbers slipped out as late as spring 1981. Over 7000 examples shipped between 1974 and 1979, and although no totals are available for 1980 and 1981, it is unlikely production reached three figures in either of these years. These final Marauders were all assembled at the Gibson Nashville plant, and had some nice features not available through the later years of production, such as a rosewood fretboard, and in this case, an opaque 'Devil Red' finish. It's a great looking and fine playing guitar!