Vintage Guitar and Bass forum

RD artist with antique finnish

« on: January 11, 2006, 08:37:50 PM »
Hi again!
I have some questions about the RD artist that some of you could probably help me with. I've never seen any RDs in antique finnish. Is that because there were fewer made in this finnish? If so, how many where made? I'd also like to know about the electronics. It looks quite complicated and these basses are close to 30 yeras of age. Are the electronics reliable and is it possible to get replacement parts? Have any of you experienced any problems with this?
The reason I ask is because I'm beginning to get second thoughts about the EB2D project I posted on this forum a few weeks ago. I'm thinking about getting an RD instead. I know it's a very different bass from the EB2 but probably gives more value for the money as it seems to be a lot more versatile (the EB2 looks cooler though!) when it comes to sound. Musicwise I play both jazz, rock, blues and funk and need an instrument that covers the lot, so I don't have to switch basses all the time.
I think the antique finnish looks best and they never seem to show up on ebay. Why?

Wow! That was quite a long message for you all to read!
Thanks
Kreegah

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 10:07:57 PM »
which finish do you mean (I assume second from right):

I have seen at least 2 of these on ebay in the last 2 years, but yes, they are rarer (and generally fetch a higher price) than any other finish.

The Naturals are most common - by a mile - and this is reflected in the price they fetch.

Ebony is the next most common finish, though by no means as common as natural and this is, again, reflected in the pricing.  

Sunburst ones (also affectionately known as ketchup and mustard - due to how garrish this fin looks on RDs in pics - looks better live) can be called rare, but I've seen a good number of them on ebay.

the Antique/tobacco burst is the rarest of them all, but not drastically more so than the Sunburt.

The rarest RD ARtist is the so-called CMT - curly maple top - which I have only seen in burst finishes, they all have binding - they were only made in the last year or 3 of RD production.

Long Winded
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 01:34:20 PM »
You have no idea about long-winded posts here?s one now!

I've never seen any RDs in antique finish. Is that because there were fewer made in this finish? If so, how many where made?

Burst finishes were considered a custom paint and Gibson charged $100 more for burst when new. They are the second most hard to find next to the impossible CMT. Antique burst, to me was a special burst for the RD at the timer; kind of it's signature finish back then. To me nothing is cooler than a black RD. They just look right in black. Next the classiest was the Antique burst, which gave it a more vintage T bird feel. I love antique burst. They are the hardest to find, but I doubt they are any more rare that the Ketchup & Mustard ones. The ketchup & Mustard burst looks garish in photos, but am told are stunning in person. I know that Jules in his picture looks great as well as another guy who got one.
Next was natural (which I own, for about 20+ years), which while the least expensive is a bit of a different beast, because of the maple fingerboard. This makes the maple a bit more trebly and posses better harmonics. Also I have seen a couple on the Bay with killer flame/quilt & bird's eye bodies.

I'd also like to know about the electronics. It looks quite complicated and these basses are close to 30 years of age. Are the electronics reliable and is it possible to get replacement parts? Have any of you experienced any problems with this?

I have had mine for 20+ years and the only issue I had was a vibrating Toggle. These basses are bullet proof. I have never heard of anyone have electronic problems with an RD Artist. The electronics are confusing on paper but you learn pretty quickly. You can get any sound you want on an RD and slapping on one is not bad either because of it's more Precision like neck. Jules gets a great "Warm? bass tone from his.
Forget about ever getting replacement parts for an RD. Ebay is is your only hope. The only person that had electronic problems was Beck's bass player Justin Medal Johnson. His bass tech guy wired an extra 9V (18V total) into the bass and fried the board.

I know it's a very different bass from the EB2 but probably gives more value for the money as it seems to be a lot more versatile (the EB2 looks cooler though!) when it comes to sound. Music wise I play jazz, rock, blues and funk and need an instrument that covers the lot, so I don't have to switch basses all the time.

The Rd will fit into in ANY music. Very versitle bass

I think the antique finish looks best and they never seem to show up on eBay. Why?

They were produced in smaller numbers, but I have seen several in the past year, but burst usually go for $1200+ US. Also they do look stunning and imagine that most do not want to part with one. These are one the best basses period.

The biggest drawback of going from and EB-2 & RD is the RD is solid maple, which makes them one of the heaviest basses ever made. They have to be 12 pounds +

I would not get one if you have any back problems. I used mine for 2-hour gigs and with a wide strap it was not bad, but that was 15 years ago.

Wow! That was quite a long message for you all to read!
Thanks

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 10:54:58 PM »
Wow! Thanks to all of you for all the info. This forum is great for bass geeks like me!
Guess I'll have to be patient then, if I should get an antique burst RD. Maybe I'll go for the ketchup and mustard finnish if one shows up. Does the different kind of wood on the fretboard on the natural finnish RD really affect the sound that much?

Kreegah

jules

• View Profile
Re: Long Winded
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 02:10:01 AM »
Quote from: Redbird
I'd also like to know about the electronics. It looks quite complicated and these basses are close to 30 years of age. Are the electronics reliable and is it possible to get replacement parts? Have any of you experienced any problems with this?

When I got my RD it had an electronic problem. I have to say I can't remember what...... but I decided it was caused by pressure on one of the pots -  I bought a spare circuit board on ebay. It was also faulty. I'm SERIOUSLY hopeless at electronics, but I still managed to find the bad component on mine (it was obvious - it looked broken) and replaced it with the part from the other board.

The electronics look tricky, but they are mostly resistors and capacitors etc - parts you can still get today, and generally don't break unless there is a physical breakage..  There may be a few components that are not so easy to replace, but certainly not many

The shipping figures for the RD basses are not split by colour, so I'm not sure anyone knows how many tobacco sunbursts are out there - but I have to agree that the black ones do look the business..... in fact I like the TS ones least. I always thought it'd look good in white too....

Maple Finger boards
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 01:04:56 PM »
I have owned three types, rosewood, ebony & maple. I know the bass it'self is part of it, but hands down, my two maple fingerboard (Fenderbird & RD) has the best harmonics/brightness of the lot. The ebony sits in the middle(Carvin) and Rosewood is the warmest sounding (T Bird), but has the worst harmonics.

This is just my experience.

Here is what Warmoth says abot neck woods -
http://www.warmoth.com/bass/necks/necks ... _neckwoods

Black
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 01:06:27 PM »
There is nothing cooler than a Black on black RD, Ripper or G-3.

Stunning combo's

Re: Long Winded
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 06:22:16 PM »
Quote from: jules
...but I have to agree that the black ones do look the business..... in fact I like the TS ones least. I always thought it'd look good in white too....

They DO look great in white (as do TBirds) - there was a white refin RD on the bay about a year ago.

Recent posts on vintage guitar and bass

1970 Rosetti Epiphone guitar catalogScan of 1970 Epiphone guitar catalogue produced by Rosetti for the UK market. Undated but most likely from mid-late 1970, this was the first UK catalogue to show the new range of Japanese (Matsumoku) Epiphone guitars. Interestingly, these pages show the Epiphone solid bodies with a single-sided Fender-style headstock layout - a feature quickly replaced with a typical two-sided Epiphone headstock almost immediately. Epiphone electric guitars: 9520, 9525; bass guitars: 9521, 9526; acoustic guitars: 6730, 6830, 6834
1971 A World of Guitars by Rosetti catalogueScan of 1971 Rosetti catalogue (UK) featuring guitars from from numerous manufacturers worldwide: guitars by Epiphone, Hagstrom, Levin, Hoyer, Egmond, Eros, Moridaira, Kiso-Suzuki, Schaller, and Tatra.
1971 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1971 Selmer guitar catalogue showing the range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Gibson, Yamaha, Selmer, Hofner and Suzuki. 1960s Selmer had always placed Hofner at the front end of their catalogues, no doubt these were the better sellers - but into the 1970s Hofner were slipping somewhat and only appear at the tail end of this publication, pride of place going to Gibson, and to a lesser extent Yamaha. In fact this is the last Selmer catalogue to include the many Hofner hollow bodies (Committee, President, Senator etc) that had defined the companies output for so many years - to be replaced in the 1972 catalogue by generic solid body 'copies' of Gibson and Fender models. A number of new Gibson models are included for the first time: the SG-100 and SG-200 six string guitars and the SB-300 and SB-400 basses.
1968 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1968/1969 Selmer guitar catalogue (printed July 1968), showing the entire range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Hofner, Gibson, Selmer and Giannini. Selmer were the exclusive United Kingdom distributors of Hofner and Gibson at the time, and this catalogue contains a total of 18 electric guitars, 7 bass guitars, 37 acoustics, and 2 Hawaiian guitars - all produced outside the UK and imported by Selmer, with UK prices included in guineas. This catalogue saw the (re-)introduction of the late sixties Gibson Les Paul Custom and Les Paul Standard (see page 69) and the short-lived Hofner Club 70. Other electric models include: HOFNER ELECTRICS: Committee, Verithin 66, Ambassador, President, Senator, Galaxie, HOFNER BASSES: Violin bass, Verithin bass, Senator bass, Professional bass GIBSON ELECTRICS: Barney Kessel, ES-330TD, ES-335TD, ES-345TD, ES-175D, ES-125CD, SG Standard, SG Junior, SG Special GIBSON BASSES: EB-0, EB-2, EB-3 - plus a LOT of acoustics branded Gibson, Hofner, Selmer and Giannini
1961 Hofner Colorama IHofner Colorama was the name UK distributor Selmer gave to a series of solid and semi-solid guitars built by Hofner for distribution in the UK. The construction and specifications of the guitars varied over the period of production, but by 1961 it was a totally solid, double cutaway instrument, with a set neck, translucent cherry finish, six-in-a-row headstock, and Hofner Diamond logo pickups. Available as a single or dual pickup guitar, this sngle pickup version would have been sold in mainland Europe as the Hofner 161.
1971 Commodore N25 (Matsumoku)Commodore was a brand applied to a series of guitars produced in Japan at the well-respected Matsumoku plant from the late 1960s to the mid 1970s - and sold primarily (perhaps exclusively?) in the United Kingdom. The models bearing the Commodore name were all guitars available from different distributors with different branding. Although there may have been some minor changes in appointments (specifically headstock branding) most had the same basic bodies, hardware and construction. Equivalent models to the Commodore N25 (and this is by no means an exhaustive list) include the Aria 5102T, Conrad 5102T(?), Electra 2221, Lyle 5102T, Ventura V-1001, Univox Coily - and most famously the Epiphone 5102T / Epiphone EA-250.
1960 Hofner Colorama IIThe Hofner Colorama was the name given by Selmer to a series of solid (and semi-solid) body Hofner guitars distributed in the United Kingdom between 1958 and 1965. The Colorama name actually applied to some quite different guitars over the period, but in 1960 it was a very light, semi-solid, set necked guitar with one (Colorama I) or two (Colorama II, as seen here) Toaster pickups. Although an entry-level guitar, it was very well-built, and a fine playing guitar; certainly a step up (at least in terms of craftsmanship) from many of the Colorama guitars that would follow, and a good deal of the guitars available in Britain circa 1960.
1971 Epiphone 1820 (ET-280) bassBy the end of the 1960s, a decision had been made to move Epiphone guitar production from the USA (at the Kalamazoo plant where Gibson guitars were made), to Matsumoto in Japan, creating a line of guitars and basses significantly less expensive than the USA-built models (actually less than half the price). The Matsumoku factory had been producing guitars for export for some time, but the 1820 bass (alongside a number of guitar models and the 5120 electric acoustic bass) were the first Epiphone models to be made there. These new Epiphones were based on existing Matsumoku guitars, sharing body shapes, and hardware, but the Epiphone line was somewhat upgraded, with inlaid logos and a 2x2 peghead configuration. Over the course of the 70s, the Japanese output improved dramatically, and in many ways these early 70s models are a low point for the brand. Having said this, there are a lot worse guitars out there, and as well as being historically important, the 1820 bass can certainly provide the goods when required.
1981 Gibson MarauderProduction of Bill Lawrence's Gibson Marauder began in 1974, with production peaking in 1978. But by 1980 the model was officially discontinued, though very small numbers slipped out as late as spring 1981. Over 7000 examples shipped between 1974 and 1979, and although no totals are available for 1980 and 1981, it is unlikely production reached three figures in either of these years. These final Marauders were all assembled at the Gibson Nashville plant, and had some nice features not available through the later years of production, such as a rosewood fretboard, and in this case, an opaque 'Devil Red' finish. It's a great looking and fine playing guitar!