Vintage Guitar and Bass forum

Steve Swallow's EB-2

Steve Swallow's EB-2
« on: February 07, 2008, 11:16:57 PM »
I was really excited to see that this video of Steve Swallow with Gary Burton was reposted:

I had no idea that it was an arrangement of the song "Open Your Eyes, You Can Fly" - I know the song from Flora Purim's album of the same name, which has an awesome version of the tune with Alphonso Johnson on bass. I thought the guy who posted the video was wrong, but I think it may just be a radical rearrangement of the tune.

But that's not why I'm starting this thread. I just picked up John Scofield's this meets that album, and in Googling Steve Swallow, found this TalkBass thread about Steve Swallow's various basses, and in addition to some great pics and info, found this post (#11):

"I am sad to report that the Gibson EB2 pictured in the top picture was purchased by me in the mid 90s when I was doing a lot of riding around in a van, jumping around and crashing into guitar players who were doing the same. Said instrument met an untimely demise one night when I tossed it high in the air, got a light in my eye and completely missed it as it went past my outstretched arm and hit the ground- shearing the headstock clean off, smashing the top of the body and spilling some of the custom electronics across the front row. I solemnly polished the remains and put them in my bass case. Bits of teh bass hang in several Boston area repair shops as a reminder of my stupidity.

It was a great sounding bass and it took me a long time to find another instrument that I had such a personal connection with. I would have liked another 60s Gibson, but couldn't afford one. All of Steve's modifications devalued the bass and I actually bought it for $500 originally."

(There's a follow-up post too, but without much useful info)

I'm kind of bummed out now, but I thought some people might be interested in the demise of this legendary instrument...

Steve Swallow's EB-2
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 12:17:30 AM »
Great clip. It's always nice to see other genres of music using Gibsons rather than the tried & true rock

Steve Swallow's EB-2
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 12:26:26 AM »
Interesting post about that bass - that's too bad.  An EB-2 probably would not have been my first choice of basses to send airborne!  They don't do landings well.   :)  :shock:

In addition to the modded EB-2 with the two model-1s, I've noticed him playing a stock EB-2DC as well.  Here it is in this clip of Country Roads w/Gary Burton:

I love his use of double stops!  The audio probably would have been better, had it not been for the guitar amp malfunction.
Regards,
Joe

jules

• View Profile
Brilliant
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 03:27:54 AM »
what an amazing clip. I want some vibes!!!!!!!!

Whatsmore I want to be in that band. Well posted!

And as for thrwing your EB2 in the air....   :roll:

barend

• View Profile
Steve Swallow's EB-2
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 12:11:08 PM »
Quote from: chromium
Here it is in this clip of Country Roads w/Gary Burton:

that doesn't sound like John Denver at all...

great clip!

Steve Swallow's EB-2
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 09:48:06 PM »
I noticed in the clip chromium posted, Steve Swallow is playing with his fingers instead of a pick. Must be the early days of his electric playing? This would be supported by another video (from the same concert?), this time with him playing upright:

There's an interview where he talks about making the switch from upright to electric and also when he started playing with a pick:

"Initially, I played with my fingers, but fairly shortly, after I began playing the electric bass, I discovered the pick and discovered that I preferred that, that I liked the way I could articulate with the pick and I preferred the sound that I got."

Steve Swallow's EB-2
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 04:00:52 AM »
:? ...i was half expecting to see a picture of a guy named Steve  with the neck of an EB2 halfway down his throat .... :!: ....how dissappointing .. :roll:

....  :lol:   :lol:   :lol:  

dexter

Steve Swallow's EB-2
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 10:37:44 PM »
man.. that video is prime example of the 70's being a weird time for music-- people carrying on the "expansiveness" of the 60's..

If that jam was done today, the bassist would probably be playing a Warwick or something..

Steve Swallow's EB-2
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 05:40:49 AM »
Quote from: hieronymous
I noticed in the clip chromium posted, Steve Swallow is playing with his fingers instead of a pick. Must be the early days of his electric playing?

There's an interview where he talks about making the switch from upright to electric and also when he started playing with a pick:

"Initially, I played with my fingers, but fairly shortly, after I began playing the electric bass, I discovered the pick and discovered that I preferred that, that I liked the way I could articulate with the pick and I preferred the sound that I got."

Your post reminded me of a cool anecdote he had relayed in another interview about his adoption of pick technique.  Found it here:

"When I was with Gary Burton’s band, I was merely trying to get competent on the electric. At the time, Jerry Hahn was the guitar player, and he has a wicked sense of humor. I’d often go practice after gigs, and he’d roam the hotel corridors until he found my room and heard me practicing. Night after night, there’d be a knock at my door. He’d say, “That sounds pretty good,” and then he’d whip out his pick and play some blisteringly fast and clearly articulated stuff. He’d say, “Hey, this little thing is pretty fun!” and hand it back to me. Meanwhile I’m playing like “Do Re Mi,” plodding through this basic stuff. His demonstration of the possibilities of the pick had the decisive effect of pushing me into pick playing. I’ve had the extreme good fortune of having played with a series of great guitar players, beginning first and foremost with Jim Hall. And they all played with a pick. It occurred to me that if Jim Hall could get this beautiful legato phrasing with a pick, so could I, an octave down. Just because it was a hard, blunt object didn’t necessarily mean that the notes had to have a violent attack and a staccato quality."

Quote from: downwithbass
If that jam was done today, the bassist would probably be playing a Warwick or something..

Yeah - I think he's using Ken Parker and Harvey Citron basses in more recent years...
Regards,
Joe

Steve Swallow's EB-2
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 02:23:59 PM »
Does anyone know what amps/cabs Swallow is using at the moment. I think he has a GK112 on the Scofield YouTube videos but don't recognise the amp.

Can anyone help? I love this man's work. He is, for me, the quiet genius of contemporary bass playing. Forget the gunslingers, this guy IS music.  :D
His voice is much deeper than anything he ever has to say!

Steve Swallow's EB-2
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 04:02:44 PM »
In this Bass Player Magazine interview from 2006 he says he uses a Walter Woods head and whatever speaker cabinet is available (scroll down towards the bottom of the interview).

Steve Swallow's EB-2
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 04:06:26 PM »
Thanks, hieronymous. Love your paintings, by the way!  :shock:
His voice is much deeper than anything he ever has to say!

Recent posts on vintage guitar and bass

1970 Rosetti Epiphone guitar catalogScan of 1970 Epiphone guitar catalogue produced by Rosetti for the UK market. Undated but most likely from mid-late 1970, this was the first UK catalogue to show the new range of Japanese (Matsumoku) Epiphone guitars. Interestingly, these pages show the Epiphone solid bodies with a single-sided Fender-style headstock layout - a feature quickly replaced with a typical two-sided Epiphone headstock almost immediately. Epiphone electric guitars: 9520, 9525; bass guitars: 9521, 9526; acoustic guitars: 6730, 6830, 6834
1971 A World of Guitars by Rosetti catalogueScan of 1971 Rosetti catalogue (UK) featuring guitars from from numerous manufacturers worldwide: guitars by Epiphone, Hagstrom, Levin, Hoyer, Egmond, Eros, Moridaira, Kiso-Suzuki, Schaller, and Tatra.
1971 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1971 Selmer guitar catalogue showing the range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Gibson, Yamaha, Selmer, Hofner and Suzuki. 1960s Selmer had always placed Hofner at the front end of their catalogues, no doubt these were the better sellers - but into the 1970s Hofner were slipping somewhat and only appear at the tail end of this publication, pride of place going to Gibson, and to a lesser extent Yamaha. In fact this is the last Selmer catalogue to include the many Hofner hollow bodies (Committee, President, Senator etc) that had defined the companies output for so many years - to be replaced in the 1972 catalogue by generic solid body 'copies' of Gibson and Fender models. A number of new Gibson models are included for the first time: the SG-100 and SG-200 six string guitars and the SB-300 and SB-400 basses.
1968 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1968/1969 Selmer guitar catalogue (printed July 1968), showing the entire range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Hofner, Gibson, Selmer and Giannini. Selmer were the exclusive United Kingdom distributors of Hofner and Gibson at the time, and this catalogue contains a total of 18 electric guitars, 7 bass guitars, 37 acoustics, and 2 Hawaiian guitars - all produced outside the UK and imported by Selmer, with UK prices included in guineas. This catalogue saw the (re-)introduction of the late sixties Gibson Les Paul Custom and Les Paul Standard (see page 69) and the short-lived Hofner Club 70. Other electric models include: HOFNER ELECTRICS: Committee, Verithin 66, Ambassador, President, Senator, Galaxie, HOFNER BASSES: Violin bass, Verithin bass, Senator bass, Professional bass GIBSON ELECTRICS: Barney Kessel, ES-330TD, ES-335TD, ES-345TD, ES-175D, ES-125CD, SG Standard, SG Junior, SG Special GIBSON BASSES: EB-0, EB-2, EB-3 - plus a LOT of acoustics branded Gibson, Hofner, Selmer and Giannini
1961 Hofner Colorama IHofner Colorama was the name UK distributor Selmer gave to a series of solid and semi-solid guitars built by Hofner for distribution in the UK. The construction and specifications of the guitars varied over the period of production, but by 1961 it was a totally solid, double cutaway instrument, with a set neck, translucent cherry finish, six-in-a-row headstock, and Hofner Diamond logo pickups. Available as a single or dual pickup guitar, this sngle pickup version would have been sold in mainland Europe as the Hofner 161.
1971 Commodore N25 (Matsumoku)Commodore was a brand applied to a series of guitars produced in Japan at the well-respected Matsumoku plant from the late 1960s to the mid 1970s - and sold primarily (perhaps exclusively?) in the United Kingdom. The models bearing the Commodore name were all guitars available from different distributors with different branding. Although there may have been some minor changes in appointments (specifically headstock branding) most had the same basic bodies, hardware and construction. Equivalent models to the Commodore N25 (and this is by no means an exhaustive list) include the Aria 5102T, Conrad 5102T(?), Electra 2221, Lyle 5102T, Ventura V-1001, Univox Coily - and most famously the Epiphone 5102T / Epiphone EA-250.
1960 Hofner Colorama IIThe Hofner Colorama was the name given by Selmer to a series of solid (and semi-solid) body Hofner guitars distributed in the United Kingdom between 1958 and 1965. The Colorama name actually applied to some quite different guitars over the period, but in 1960 it was a very light, semi-solid, set necked guitar with one (Colorama I) or two (Colorama II, as seen here) Toaster pickups. Although an entry-level guitar, it was very well-built, and a fine playing guitar; certainly a step up (at least in terms of craftsmanship) from many of the Colorama guitars that would follow, and a good deal of the guitars available in Britain circa 1960.
1971 Epiphone 1820 (ET-280) bassBy the end of the 1960s, a decision had been made to move Epiphone guitar production from the USA (at the Kalamazoo plant where Gibson guitars were made), to Matsumoto in Japan, creating a line of guitars and basses significantly less expensive than the USA-built models (actually less than half the price). The Matsumoku factory had been producing guitars for export for some time, but the 1820 bass (alongside a number of guitar models and the 5120 electric acoustic bass) were the first Epiphone models to be made there. These new Epiphones were based on existing Matsumoku guitars, sharing body shapes, and hardware, but the Epiphone line was somewhat upgraded, with inlaid logos and a 2x2 peghead configuration. Over the course of the 70s, the Japanese output improved dramatically, and in many ways these early 70s models are a low point for the brand. Having said this, there are a lot worse guitars out there, and as well as being historically important, the 1820 bass can certainly provide the goods when required.
1981 Gibson MarauderProduction of Bill Lawrence's Gibson Marauder began in 1974, with production peaking in 1978. But by 1980 the model was officially discontinued, though very small numbers slipped out as late as spring 1981. Over 7000 examples shipped between 1974 and 1979, and although no totals are available for 1980 and 1981, it is unlikely production reached three figures in either of these years. These final Marauders were all assembled at the Gibson Nashville plant, and had some nice features not available through the later years of production, such as a rosewood fretboard, and in this case, an opaque 'Devil Red' finish. It's a great looking and fine playing guitar!