Vintage Guitar and Bass forum

Long-winded RD story with eventual question,

« on: February 07, 2008, 04:31:54 AM »
Well... after many trials and tribulations, I thought I'd share my two-month long ordeal in the hopes it may help someone down the road.
So, after many, many, many years of wanting an RD, I finally picked one up at a ridiculously low price...in the end, I kinda made up the difference, but I'd like to feel that I still came out ahead.  Here's why:
The first thing I noticed when I took delivery of the old girl is that it was missing the battery cover.  This is because the brass saddles that the machine screws were supposed to go into were missing.  No big deal, I machined two new ones out of brass all-thread and they turned out great.  I picked up a supposedly NOS battery cover on eBay.
The thing was absolutely filthy, but responded well to a polishing.
The strings were looooong dead, but that was easily solved.
So all in all, there's no cosmetic damage, no cracks, no warps, everything's there and straight.
However, the big problem was in the electronics.  I was getting hellacious noise at all EQ settings through just about everything.  Turning down the treble didn't seem to help (and I wouldn't accept it anyway, I like more treble than bass).
So it turns out I had a few things against me...
1.  The wiring in my awful grad-school apartment isn't grounded well, so I was picking up every radio station in this hemisphere.  That was (relatively) easily solved.
2.  The MOOG board was shorting out against the pots, so the two had to be isolated.
3.  Here's the biggy... even after all of that, I was still getting some pretty terrible 60-cycle hum and some radio in my apartment (but silent elsewhere).
So, against most people's suggestions, I had the entire bass (both cavities) shielded with the conductive backed copper foil.  
This has made a HUUUUUUUGE difference.  The bass is now all but silent, even with the treble on +5 (which I don't do, but still, it proves my point).  It's even quiet in both in expansion/compression and boost mode.

My problem now is the bridge.  My saddles act like they're too tall for the bridge and they kinda waller back and forth on the intonation screw without their ears sitting flush against the bridge.  What the heck is going on here?
I can supply pictures if necessary.  However, I'm thinking about that Hipshot bridge, finish wear be damned.
The end result is a unique bass that I absolutely love and think sounds great... but, after the honeymoon, I think I prefer the sound of that Fender in the background...
I apologize for the awful picture with terrible lighting... but that's the best you'll get out of me this late at night.

Oh well,

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 05:09:18 AM »
Nice work, and a good sign of the obsessive nature demanded of all who own Gibson basses.

As to your ultimate question:
What the heck is going on here?

I don't know, and that is the thing that really needs a picture.  Something is not right there.  I hate 3 point bridges, and even I know something is off.  For what it is worth, if I had a bass with a 3 point I would be getting a hipshot first thing anyway. But you should be able to tweak it without the saddles being completely out to lunch.
boom

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 11:57:48 AM »
Yeah, it's so weird, they're just dancing around in there.
I've played Thunderbirds and EB's that didn't have this problem.
I'll take a picture later today when I have time and show you what I mean.

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 12:57:54 PM »
Good job. RD's are inherently noisy to begin with.

I would take it to a luthier to have it set up first, before replacing the bridge, although a lot of people say the hipshot is really nice.

Comparing the RD to Jazz bass is like Apple & Oranges-One being warm passive and the other Bright/Dark Active.

I would think there is a place for both sounds depending on the music you play.

The Rd really responds great when combined with effects, as you can balance out any deficiencies with the Bass & Treble boost. The Moog circuit is cool as well, but to me. Not as helpful as the treble/bass boost & cut controls.

If you play nothing but straight bass classic rock or jazz/blues, the RD may not be needed. It's a lot of weight on your back for a night.

Where I find RD's shine is with Piano high playing, harmonic  & chordal work & even funk. A great & versatile bass that offers a lot of possibilities except a warm vintage tone.

jules

• View Profile
Shielding
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 01:28:06 PM »
Ok, so shielding helped. I have to say my RDs are only really noisy when I have the treble on full -  which is too bright a sound for me anyway. Never had any radio interference yet.

Worth knowing for future reference though. So how did you actually shield it? Just glue the copper foil in? Over the cover aswell? or just inside.

What I like about the RD is its wide tonal range. Far wider than most basses I own. I do like to widely change settings on a song by song basis. One song will be mega mellow dub bass, the next will be ultra bright (particularly useful with fx as John said).

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 01:51:54 PM »
"My saddles act like they're too tall for the bridge and they kinda waller back and forth on the intonation screw without their ears sitting flush against the bridge. What the heck is going on here?"

Yes, we need pics. Possibly the saddles aren't original or not threaded properly or the intonation screws are bent. But under string pressure their base should still be flush against the bridge saddle compartments.

The Hipshot Supertone is a nice bridge and actually fits well with a hi tec bass as which the RD was originally envisaged. It will also give you a bit more sustain.

That said, I haven't yet had a case where a three point could not be adjusted to a bass' needs. eb2 is just a little awkward with it!  :roll: He never got over the fact how they heartlessly deleted the single bar bridge.  :lol:

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 02:20:52 PM »
As Uwe once pointed out, the Bass boost and Compression mode, (which takes away all the attack of a note), is the one feature that will get you as close to a true mudbucker sound as you can, if your looking for it.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 02:51:12 PM »
eb2 is just a little awkward with it!   He never got over the fact how they heartlessly deleted the single bar bridge.  

Worse than you can imagine!  I won't even buy a Gibson with the three point bridge on it.
boom

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 08:32:33 PM »
My hatred of the 3 point is by now well known.  :D

The Supertone bridge is a huge improvement, highly recommended. I would love to pick up a RD though it seems like a hefty chunk of wood. it is heavy, right?

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 09:06:04 PM »
It's like a dinner table with a guitar strap.

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 09:08:58 PM »
Actually, I had a question about the supertone (I'm taking pictures of my fuddled bridge tonight, don't worry).
Does it sit flush against the body?
Shouldn't the very thin grommets around the plugs in the body keep it off of the finish?-- you know, the two rear ones the bridge screws into?

I can get a pretty good setup with the 3-point, but I prefer the Leo Quan individual height adjustment and massive weight bridge more.

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 12:24:24 AM »
A picture's worth a 1000...

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 05:01:19 AM »
Supertone sits flush against the body, has its own screws, no part of the original bridge is used. Could leave an imprint.

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 12:29:07 PM »
To answer Jule's question (sorry, I forgot about it),
yeah, it was the self-adhesive, conductive backed shielding foil from Stew-Mac.  No soldering or anything like that.
The rear control panel was all ready shielded, I had to do the pick guard  around the pickups and the battery cover.

As to my question regarding the supertone, this picture might show why I thought the bridge wouldn't touch the body... see the grommet/flange thing around the nickel-plated body plug the bridge screws in to?  I thought this would act almost like a shim keeping it off of the finish.

Guess not.

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 04:16:24 PM »
That grommet will have to go for the Supertone, sorry! It is not needed anyway (and Gibson did away with it eventually) and only glued on.

As for your saddles, it looks like someone put replacement saddles in whose "tongues" are too long so they don't sit flush. But isn't it just a cosmetic thing? The imprtant thing is that the base of the tongue is in contact with the base of the bridge saddle compartment and you have that. You could file the base of the tongue away a little so that the wider part of the saddle sits better on the saddle compartment walls, but I'd be careful that that doesn't give you a weird angle with the intonation screw.

Recent posts on vintage guitar and bass

1970 Rosetti Epiphone guitar catalogScan of 1970 Epiphone guitar catalogue produced by Rosetti for the UK market. Undated but most likely from mid-late 1970, this was the first UK catalogue to show the new range of Japanese (Matsumoku) Epiphone guitars. Interestingly, these pages show the Epiphone solid bodies with a single-sided Fender-style headstock layout - a feature quickly replaced with a typical two-sided Epiphone headstock almost immediately. Epiphone electric guitars: 9520, 9525; bass guitars: 9521, 9526; acoustic guitars: 6730, 6830, 6834
1971 A World of Guitars by Rosetti catalogueScan of 1971 Rosetti catalogue (UK) featuring guitars from from numerous manufacturers worldwide: guitars by Epiphone, Hagstrom, Levin, Hoyer, Egmond, Eros, Moridaira, Kiso-Suzuki, Schaller, and Tatra.
1971 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1971 Selmer guitar catalogue showing the range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Gibson, Yamaha, Selmer, Hofner and Suzuki. 1960s Selmer had always placed Hofner at the front end of their catalogues, no doubt these were the better sellers - but into the 1970s Hofner were slipping somewhat and only appear at the tail end of this publication, pride of place going to Gibson, and to a lesser extent Yamaha. In fact this is the last Selmer catalogue to include the many Hofner hollow bodies (Committee, President, Senator etc) that had defined the companies output for so many years - to be replaced in the 1972 catalogue by generic solid body 'copies' of Gibson and Fender models. A number of new Gibson models are included for the first time: the SG-100 and SG-200 six string guitars and the SB-300 and SB-400 basses.
1968 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1968/1969 Selmer guitar catalogue (printed July 1968), showing the entire range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Hofner, Gibson, Selmer and Giannini. Selmer were the exclusive United Kingdom distributors of Hofner and Gibson at the time, and this catalogue contains a total of 18 electric guitars, 7 bass guitars, 37 acoustics, and 2 Hawaiian guitars - all produced outside the UK and imported by Selmer, with UK prices included in guineas. This catalogue saw the (re-)introduction of the late sixties Gibson Les Paul Custom and Les Paul Standard (see page 69) and the short-lived Hofner Club 70. Other electric models include: HOFNER ELECTRICS: Committee, Verithin 66, Ambassador, President, Senator, Galaxie, HOFNER BASSES: Violin bass, Verithin bass, Senator bass, Professional bass GIBSON ELECTRICS: Barney Kessel, ES-330TD, ES-335TD, ES-345TD, ES-175D, ES-125CD, SG Standard, SG Junior, SG Special GIBSON BASSES: EB-0, EB-2, EB-3 - plus a LOT of acoustics branded Gibson, Hofner, Selmer and Giannini
1961 Hofner Colorama IHofner Colorama was the name UK distributor Selmer gave to a series of solid and semi-solid guitars built by Hofner for distribution in the UK. The construction and specifications of the guitars varied over the period of production, but by 1961 it was a totally solid, double cutaway instrument, with a set neck, translucent cherry finish, six-in-a-row headstock, and Hofner Diamond logo pickups. Available as a single or dual pickup guitar, this sngle pickup version would have been sold in mainland Europe as the Hofner 161.
1971 Commodore N25 (Matsumoku)Commodore was a brand applied to a series of guitars produced in Japan at the well-respected Matsumoku plant from the late 1960s to the mid 1970s - and sold primarily (perhaps exclusively?) in the United Kingdom. The models bearing the Commodore name were all guitars available from different distributors with different branding. Although there may have been some minor changes in appointments (specifically headstock branding) most had the same basic bodies, hardware and construction. Equivalent models to the Commodore N25 (and this is by no means an exhaustive list) include the Aria 5102T, Conrad 5102T(?), Electra 2221, Lyle 5102T, Ventura V-1001, Univox Coily - and most famously the Epiphone 5102T / Epiphone EA-250.
1960 Hofner Colorama IIThe Hofner Colorama was the name given by Selmer to a series of solid (and semi-solid) body Hofner guitars distributed in the United Kingdom between 1958 and 1965. The Colorama name actually applied to some quite different guitars over the period, but in 1960 it was a very light, semi-solid, set necked guitar with one (Colorama I) or two (Colorama II, as seen here) Toaster pickups. Although an entry-level guitar, it was very well-built, and a fine playing guitar; certainly a step up (at least in terms of craftsmanship) from many of the Colorama guitars that would follow, and a good deal of the guitars available in Britain circa 1960.
1971 Epiphone 1820 (ET-280) bassBy the end of the 1960s, a decision had been made to move Epiphone guitar production from the USA (at the Kalamazoo plant where Gibson guitars were made), to Matsumoto in Japan, creating a line of guitars and basses significantly less expensive than the USA-built models (actually less than half the price). The Matsumoku factory had been producing guitars for export for some time, but the 1820 bass (alongside a number of guitar models and the 5120 electric acoustic bass) were the first Epiphone models to be made there. These new Epiphones were based on existing Matsumoku guitars, sharing body shapes, and hardware, but the Epiphone line was somewhat upgraded, with inlaid logos and a 2x2 peghead configuration. Over the course of the 70s, the Japanese output improved dramatically, and in many ways these early 70s models are a low point for the brand. Having said this, there are a lot worse guitars out there, and as well as being historically important, the 1820 bass can certainly provide the goods when required.
1981 Gibson MarauderProduction of Bill Lawrence's Gibson Marauder began in 1974, with production peaking in 1978. But by 1980 the model was officially discontinued, though very small numbers slipped out as late as spring 1981. Over 7000 examples shipped between 1974 and 1979, and although no totals are available for 1980 and 1981, it is unlikely production reached three figures in either of these years. These final Marauders were all assembled at the Gibson Nashville plant, and had some nice features not available through the later years of production, such as a rosewood fretboard, and in this case, an opaque 'Devil Red' finish. It's a great looking and fine playing guitar!