Vintage Guitar and Bass forum

Jack The Ripper?

Jack The Ripper?
« on: January 14, 2008, 12:53:28 AM »
I remember reading an interview with Jack Bruce in Guitar Player Magazine ca. 1975 wherein Jack mentions that a major guitar company (or did he even specifically say Gibson? I can't remember...) was going to produce a Jack Bruce model bass, but he didn't like it and the project was scrapped. Then he said he'd "better not say another word about it".
I can't help but wonder if that bass was The Ripper...the name itself kind of suggests it. Otherwise, they could've just called it the L-9S bass and left it at that.
It came out in recent years that the RD Artist bass was inteded to be the John Entwistle model, so it wouldn't be the only aborted Norlin era bass endorsement deal gone sour...

Bill

jules

• View Profile
Smoothtalking Gibson
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 01:23:14 AM »
Quote from: guitarshark
Jack mentions that a major guitar company (or did he even specifically say Gibson? I can't remember...) was going to produce a Jack Bruce model bass

Yes, i've seen this, but you know what, I recall several other mid-seventies bass players saying the same thing. I'll try and dig out quotes to back this up. I get the impression that Gibson told a lot of players that they had made the Ripper for them, but noone really seems to have a strong association with the instrument.

On the subject of Entwistle and the RD Artist, i've been preparing a page on that very topic for some time. I have some interesting quotes from Gibson literature, and JE interviews, but i'm fairly sure there is more out there too. If anyone has any info about their relationship please get in touch.

Jack The Ripper?
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 02:07:40 AM »
I didn't know that they told mutiple bassists that, interesting.
Obviously, they got Greg Lake to endorse The Ripper for a bit, (he had the only ebony finish with a maple neck Ripper I've ever seen) but it didn't last long. Which is funny, since varitone position # 3 on a Ripper seems tailor made for him.
It's the Jack The Ripper thing that seems to dovetail so nicely. Not that Jack was ever known as that, but it has the feel of a marketing ploy gone awry.

Bill

your a naughty one saucy jack
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 02:17:25 AM »
your a naughty one.......saucy jack
just some spinal tap quotes haha, ive never seen jack bruce play any other gibsons besides his eb's and that entwistle thing sounds interesting, i know he played thunderbirds and eb2's

Re: your a naughty one saucy jack
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 02:56:22 AM »
Quote from: Gibsonbassdude15
your a naughty one.......saucy jack
just some spinal tap quotes haha, ive never seen jack bruce play any other gibsons besides his eb's and that entwistle thing sounds interesting, i know he played thunderbirds and eb2's

...You're a haughty one, Saucy Jack...one of my fave movies!

Nah, I don't think he ever actually played a Ripper. If there was an endoresement deal in the works, it never got off the ground.
I have seen pics of JB playing a reverse T-Bird II, though
This bass had a Les Paul style jack plate screwed onto the top, probably to conceal a crack in the body at the output jack.
In this photo, Jack was presenting it to Felix Pappalardi as a gift at the completion of the Disraeli Gears LP.
This bass was sold off with the rest of Pappalardi's instruments after his 1983 murder.

Bill

Jack The Ripper?
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 10:07:43 AM »
Those topics weere discussed at the old Dudepit.

Entwistle himself said that the RD was made as his signature, but he didn;t like it. I believe Uwe found a german interview with Jack Bruce about the Ripper becoming a JB Signature. If you see the first advertisements about that bass, you see two mudbuckers. I believe JB didn't liked the new pick ups. I think Uwe can tell us more.

Jack The Ripper?
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 12:58:55 PM »
Quote from: Chris P
Those topics weere discussed at the old Dudepit.

Entwistle himself said that the RD was made as his signature, but he didn;t like it. I believe Uwe found a german interview with Jack Bruce about the Ripper becoming a JB Signature. If you see the first advertisements about that bass, you see two mudbuckers. I believe JB didn't liked the new pick ups. I think Uwe can tell us more.

Hmmm, I'd like to read that interview.
I've seen the early ads with the 2 mudbucker prototype Ripper...I doubt any of those made it to production. Ibanez did issue a 2 mudbucker Ripper copy, even if Gibson didn't!
Makes sense that Jack Bruce would prefer those pickups, I guess...even though I think he used the bridge minibucker most of the time on his EB-3s.

Bill

Jack The Ripper?
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 10:32:40 PM »
Jawohl, I remember reading a nineties interview with Jack B where he owned up to the Ripper saying "Gibson designed a bass for me, but it was so horriible ... They ended up calling it The Grabber or something ...".

Uwe

Dave W

• View Profile
Jack The Ripper?
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 07:32:14 PM »
Didn't Carol Kaye say she had a hand in the Grabber design? Or at least that Gibson had asked her for suggestions?

eb2

• View Profile
Jack The Ripper?
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 08:21:40 PM »
Give her enough time and she will.

Jack may have been the intended target of that bass.  He had started playing long scale stuff in the mid 70s, I recall hand-made stuff, maybe Petillos, being his thing for a while, so maybe they tried.  But Gibson was still putting him on promo posters into the early 70s.  My local shop had a whole bunch of them they got one year, pics of BB King from the mid 60s for the ES, Santana with an L6S, etc.  So they knew he sold stuff for them.

Lets not forget his use of Danelectros as well.  Lots of pics with a long horn.
boom

Jack The Ripper?
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 09:43:43 PM »
Quote from: eb2
Give her enough time and she will.

Jack may have been the intended target of that bass.  He had started playing long scale stuff in the mid 70s, I recall hand-made stuff, maybe Petillos, being his thing for a while, so maybe they tried.  But Gibson was still putting him on promo posters into the early 70s.  My local shop had a whole bunch of them they got one year, pics of BB King from the mid 60s for the ES, Santana with an L6S, etc.  So they knew he sold stuff for them.

Lets not forget his use of Danelectros as well.  Lots of pics with a long horn.

Jack was using a UK made all wood Dan Armstrong London bass ca. '73-'75, that's probably what you thought was a Petillo...I doubt Jack would ever have played anything as bad as that!

The Longhorn was used temporarily while the Fender Bass VI was having its psychedelic paint job done by The Fool, before Jack had the EB-3.

Regarding the Carol Kaye/Grabber thing, yeah, give her enough time, correct! She claims to have played on records credited to Jamerson, etc, but has no proof, no pay stubs or whatever, to back it up. So she might get around to claiming the Grabber was hers...

Bill

Jack The Ripper?
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 10:54:38 PM »
In fairness to Jack the Non-Ripper, he probably meant "Ripper" when he said "Grabber" in the interview - who except the devout and converted could ever hold these two apart back in the mid-seventies? I certainly couldn't.

But the Grabber must have come later. I have a singlecut Ripper prototype with 1973 pots - I know of no Grabber that early. I have an early 74 Grabber, noteworthy for an unscarfed headstock, skunk stripe neck, non-backward-angled headstock and - oh, the horror! - a Fender type allen truss rod nut.  :roll:

Uwe

Jack The Ripper?
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 11:29:25 PM »
Quote from: donnervogel
In fairness to Jack the Non-Ripper, he probably meant "Ripper" when he said "Grabber" in the interview - who except the devout and converted could ever hold these two apart back in the mid-seventies? I certainly couldn't.

But the Grabber must have come later. I have a singlecut Ripper prototype with 1973 pots - I know of no Grabber that early. I have an early 74 Grabber, noteworthy for an unscarfed headstock, skunk stripe neck, non-backward-angled headstock and - oh, the horror! - a Fender type allen truss rod nut.  :roll:

Uwe

That makes sense. A lot of people confuse Rippers and Grabbers
The first Grabbers I remember seeing new in stores back in the day were in '75, scarfed headstock, angled headstocks, no skunk stripe.
The only non-scarfed, skunk stripe one I know about is the one used by Gene Simmons, pictured on the Kiss Alive LP sleeve. I've never seen one in person. (Note: I saw Kiss 5 times between Dec. '73 and Dec. 75 and except for the first 2 shows where Gene played his LoBue custom made bass that looked sort of like an LP bodied EB-0. he played an ebony Ripper every time...he's so associated with the Grabber, but used a Ripper a lot too. That's what inspired me to buy my ebony Ripper back in 1975, there, I've said it!
That sounds like a pretty cool bass!
A single cut Ripper prototype? Is that one of the strange Gibson basses with no model # or name (there have been a few pictures of them on this site) with 2 mudbuckers and (I think) no pickguard?
I saw one at a local guitar show about 6 or 7 years ago that was poorly refinished and I thought it was a doctored Ripper. Now I know better...

Slightly off the topic, I think the G-3 is a great sounding bass. All 3 pickups together sounds amazing! I'm not really attracted to Grabbers in general cosmetically, (the Flying V headstock on the pumpkin body isn't me) but they do have a nice tone.

Bill

Jack The Ripper?
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 12:39:07 AM »
[ That's what inspired me to buy my ebony Ripper back in 1975, there, I've said it!
[/quote]

I am of the same mind... Gene Simmons is such a pompous a** nowadays on TV and in interviews!  But man, his bass playing in KISS is just solid, no nonsense good stuff!  Not over the top, just right.  I especially like to watch the way he plays and sings at the same time... I always learn a bit from it.

Jack The Ripper?
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 01:50:32 AM »
Quote from: lxmetal
[ That's what inspired me to buy my ebony Ripper back in 1975, there, I've said it!

I am of the same mind... Gene Simmons is such a pompous a** nowadays on TV and in interviews!  But man, his bass playing in KISS is just solid, no nonsense good stuff!  Not over the top, just right.  I especially like to watch the way he plays and sings at the same time... I always learn a bit from it.[/quote]

Yep, true. His bass playing was pretty inventive back then. I always liked his vocals too.
I can't tell if the pomposity is a put on or his true personality. Probably a bit of both.

Recent posts on vintage guitar and bass

1970 Rosetti Epiphone guitar catalogScan of 1970 Epiphone guitar catalogue produced by Rosetti for the UK market. Undated but most likely from mid-late 1970, this was the first UK catalogue to show the new range of Japanese (Matsumoku) Epiphone guitars. Interestingly, these pages show the Epiphone solid bodies with a single-sided Fender-style headstock layout - a feature quickly replaced with a typical two-sided Epiphone headstock almost immediately. Epiphone electric guitars: 9520, 9525; bass guitars: 9521, 9526; acoustic guitars: 6730, 6830, 6834
1971 A World of Guitars by Rosetti catalogueScan of 1971 Rosetti catalogue (UK) featuring guitars from from numerous manufacturers worldwide: guitars by Epiphone, Hagstrom, Levin, Hoyer, Egmond, Eros, Moridaira, Kiso-Suzuki, Schaller, and Tatra.
1971 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1971 Selmer guitar catalogue showing the range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Gibson, Yamaha, Selmer, Hofner and Suzuki. 1960s Selmer had always placed Hofner at the front end of their catalogues, no doubt these were the better sellers - but into the 1970s Hofner were slipping somewhat and only appear at the tail end of this publication, pride of place going to Gibson, and to a lesser extent Yamaha. In fact this is the last Selmer catalogue to include the many Hofner hollow bodies (Committee, President, Senator etc) that had defined the companies output for so many years - to be replaced in the 1972 catalogue by generic solid body 'copies' of Gibson and Fender models. A number of new Gibson models are included for the first time: the SG-100 and SG-200 six string guitars and the SB-300 and SB-400 basses.
1968 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1968/1969 Selmer guitar catalogue (printed July 1968), showing the entire range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Hofner, Gibson, Selmer and Giannini. Selmer were the exclusive United Kingdom distributors of Hofner and Gibson at the time, and this catalogue contains a total of 18 electric guitars, 7 bass guitars, 37 acoustics, and 2 Hawaiian guitars - all produced outside the UK and imported by Selmer, with UK prices included in guineas. This catalogue saw the (re-)introduction of the late sixties Gibson Les Paul Custom and Les Paul Standard (see page 69) and the short-lived Hofner Club 70. Other electric models include: HOFNER ELECTRICS: Committee, Verithin 66, Ambassador, President, Senator, Galaxie, HOFNER BASSES: Violin bass, Verithin bass, Senator bass, Professional bass GIBSON ELECTRICS: Barney Kessel, ES-330TD, ES-335TD, ES-345TD, ES-175D, ES-125CD, SG Standard, SG Junior, SG Special GIBSON BASSES: EB-0, EB-2, EB-3 - plus a LOT of acoustics branded Gibson, Hofner, Selmer and Giannini
1961 Hofner Colorama IHofner Colorama was the name UK distributor Selmer gave to a series of solid and semi-solid guitars built by Hofner for distribution in the UK. The construction and specifications of the guitars varied over the period of production, but by 1961 it was a totally solid, double cutaway instrument, with a set neck, translucent cherry finish, six-in-a-row headstock, and Hofner Diamond logo pickups. Available as a single or dual pickup guitar, this sngle pickup version would have been sold in mainland Europe as the Hofner 161.
1971 Commodore N25 (Matsumoku)Commodore was a brand applied to a series of guitars produced in Japan at the well-respected Matsumoku plant from the late 1960s to the mid 1970s - and sold primarily (perhaps exclusively?) in the United Kingdom. The models bearing the Commodore name were all guitars available from different distributors with different branding. Although there may have been some minor changes in appointments (specifically headstock branding) most had the same basic bodies, hardware and construction. Equivalent models to the Commodore N25 (and this is by no means an exhaustive list) include the Aria 5102T, Conrad 5102T(?), Electra 2221, Lyle 5102T, Ventura V-1001, Univox Coily - and most famously the Epiphone 5102T / Epiphone EA-250.
1960 Hofner Colorama IIThe Hofner Colorama was the name given by Selmer to a series of solid (and semi-solid) body Hofner guitars distributed in the United Kingdom between 1958 and 1965. The Colorama name actually applied to some quite different guitars over the period, but in 1960 it was a very light, semi-solid, set necked guitar with one (Colorama I) or two (Colorama II, as seen here) Toaster pickups. Although an entry-level guitar, it was very well-built, and a fine playing guitar; certainly a step up (at least in terms of craftsmanship) from many of the Colorama guitars that would follow, and a good deal of the guitars available in Britain circa 1960.
1971 Epiphone 1820 (ET-280) bassBy the end of the 1960s, a decision had been made to move Epiphone guitar production from the USA (at the Kalamazoo plant where Gibson guitars were made), to Matsumoto in Japan, creating a line of guitars and basses significantly less expensive than the USA-built models (actually less than half the price). The Matsumoku factory had been producing guitars for export for some time, but the 1820 bass (alongside a number of guitar models and the 5120 electric acoustic bass) were the first Epiphone models to be made there. These new Epiphones were based on existing Matsumoku guitars, sharing body shapes, and hardware, but the Epiphone line was somewhat upgraded, with inlaid logos and a 2x2 peghead configuration. Over the course of the 70s, the Japanese output improved dramatically, and in many ways these early 70s models are a low point for the brand. Having said this, there are a lot worse guitars out there, and as well as being historically important, the 1820 bass can certainly provide the goods when required.
1981 Gibson MarauderProduction of Bill Lawrence's Gibson Marauder began in 1974, with production peaking in 1978. But by 1980 the model was officially discontinued, though very small numbers slipped out as late as spring 1981. Over 7000 examples shipped between 1974 and 1979, and although no totals are available for 1980 and 1981, it is unlikely production reached three figures in either of these years. These final Marauders were all assembled at the Gibson Nashville plant, and had some nice features not available through the later years of production, such as a rosewood fretboard, and in this case, an opaque 'Devil Red' finish. It's a great looking and fine playing guitar!