Vintage Guitar and Bass forum

1965 EB-3, Color Unknown

1965 EB-3, Color Unknown
« on: November 08, 2007, 09:32:38 PM »
I have been conversing with Granny Gremlin about this instrument and it was suggested I post some photos for all to see. This bass appears to have a custom (Cardinal Red?) color.

Pots date the bass as 1965 (1376526) but headstock serial number is 250064.

Tuning keys are reversed as opposed to today’s 2x2 configuration in that E and A keys are turned toward the bridge to tighten the string and D & G are turned backward to tighten the strings.

There is residue from an oval sticker/label on the back of the headstock. There is a reverse imprint on the paint just in front of the neck bridge from a stamp used to mark the mute hardware: "Gibson Inc.- Kalamazoo - Michigan - Pat. Applied For".

I can see no over spray neither in the mudbucker or bridge pup cavities nor in the control cavity. There are some drips and drabs of red paint along the edge of control cavity.

Neck pup measures 29.83K ohms and the bridge pup measures 7.20K ohms using self ranging digital multimeter. Sticker on bottom of bridge pup reads:
Pat. No. 2 737 842.

The original owner of this bass told the selling agent that he special ordered the red lacquer finish and swears it was never refinished. No over spray would seem to confirm his affirmation. This is not the standard cherry stain where the grain of the mahogany is still visible and which is a much deeper red tint.

I have the bridge set as low as possible but strings are still a tad high at the 9th fret and above: E at the 5th fret measures 3/32…at the 12th fret 5/32” and at the 19th fret 7/32”.  Very slight buzzing on open G, but currently has nickel round wounds. Very little relief in neck, could loosen truss rod a smidgen. Am changing to GHS precision flats this evening.

Photos to be posted by Granny Gremlin (many thanks!) a bit later...once they are available your comments regarding the bass, its color and specs will be appreciated. Thanks.

rsa7600

1965 EB-3, Color Unknown
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 05:25:24 PM »
I didn't get your email.  Try resending with not so many pics attached.

EB-3 photos
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 08:12:45 PM »
Thought that might be a problem. I have sent you two e-mails with 4-5 pics attached to each. Enough to get the thread started, I think. Thanks.

rsa

1965 EB-3, Color Unknown
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 09:21:28 PM »
Pics here.  They're a bit too large to post in the thread.

Many of them are too out of focus to be useful. But from that pic of the control cavity I wouldn't rule out a refin. Also, the color doesn't quite look like Cardinal Red, but that could just be lighting.

Still an effin nice bass tho

EB-3 pics
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 09:41:19 PM »
Am not sure why photos show up so large and out of focus. Look fine on my computer using MS Digital Image 10. they get a bit blurry when I increase to 150% or so. Hmmm...lemme think on this one.

I took the bass to a shop near here and we got under the pick guard. Looks like solvent was used to get to the bare finish. We can find no evidence of other colors or finishes. If you prefer, I can get you some smaller, more in focus photos. Thanks.

rsa

jules

• View Profile
red EB3
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 12:22:17 AM »

Is the serial number barely readble under paint, or clear and obvious? Thats the most telling sign of a refin.

It is a cool bass, whatever

1965 EB-3, Color Unknown
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 06:39:55 PM »
Serial # not very distinct but readable. I raised this matter with the selling agent who went back to the original owner before we closed the deal...owner "swore" paint/lacquer was applied by factory...agent said he has known the seller for years and seller had no reason to misrepresent the facts. I got the bass for well under the published 2007 Vintage Guitar Magazine Price Guide. Even more so in the new 2008 VGMPG.

Frets were patina green with oxidation when I got the bass. Used a Stew-Mac fret tool to brighten them up a bit. Also used 0000 steel wool on the fret board and lemon oil to bring back wood color. Pots and 4-way switch needed cleaning and lubing. Neck pup had a minor problem and repaired it to get reading mentioned in previous posting. Would like to find a way to lower action more, but bridge is bottomed out. Digital calipers tell me I might get another .118" inch (3mm) at most if I remove the mute hardware. Still has the mute felt, too, and the plastic spacer for the hand rest.

So...how much does the refinish impact the value of the bass, factory or otherwise? Both back of the neck and back of the body have case rash where bass was stored for God knows how many years. Was definitely in a musty basement for quite some time. Case has Sunn logo on exterior but Gibson logo on a metal tab placed on the storage box in the case. I love playing this thing. Running it through a Line 6 Bass Pod and tweaking the drive a bit I can almost get the Jack Bruce thing going..but I'm no JB...thanks for the feedback thus far. Cheers...

rsa7600

1965 EB-3, Color Unknown
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 11:31:30 PM »
It's a certainly a nice bass regardless of whether it's a refin or not. If it is a refin it's been done very well from what I can see in the pic Jules posted.

Look at the bevelled edges on the body, they look very well pronounced when quite often on a refin some of the shape gets lost.

G

www.motherlodeonline.co.uk

jules

• View Profile
custom paint values
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 04:29:23 AM »
Quote from: rsa7600
So...how much does the refinish impact the value of the bass, factory or otherwise?

You can't put an accurate figure on it - the natural fluctuations in price are probably bigger than the difference we are talking about

If it is refinned some value will be lost, irrespective of who did it, Gibson themselves or anyone else. When selling the onus is on you to prove it is original - for example the original custom order paperwork. This would add a good 25% to the value - more if it was a 'less cherry looking' custom colour.

Without documentation it is anyones guess. If you insist it is real, someone may pay full whack, and be happy, or they may not.

Can I ask, how much extra did you pay for the custom finish? That is the most definitive answer there is!

Recent posts on vintage guitar and bass

1970 Rosetti Epiphone guitar catalogScan of 1970 Epiphone guitar catalogue produced by Rosetti for the UK market. Undated but most likely from mid-late 1970, this was the first UK catalogue to show the new range of Japanese (Matsumoku) Epiphone guitars. Interestingly, these pages show the Epiphone solid bodies with a single-sided Fender-style headstock layout - a feature quickly replaced with a typical two-sided Epiphone headstock almost immediately. Epiphone electric guitars: 9520, 9525; bass guitars: 9521, 9526; acoustic guitars: 6730, 6830, 6834
1971 A World of Guitars by Rosetti catalogueScan of 1971 Rosetti catalogue (UK) featuring guitars from from numerous manufacturers worldwide: guitars by Epiphone, Hagstrom, Levin, Hoyer, Egmond, Eros, Moridaira, Kiso-Suzuki, Schaller, and Tatra.
1971 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1971 Selmer guitar catalogue showing the range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Gibson, Yamaha, Selmer, Hofner and Suzuki. 1960s Selmer had always placed Hofner at the front end of their catalogues, no doubt these were the better sellers - but into the 1970s Hofner were slipping somewhat and only appear at the tail end of this publication, pride of place going to Gibson, and to a lesser extent Yamaha. In fact this is the last Selmer catalogue to include the many Hofner hollow bodies (Committee, President, Senator etc) that had defined the companies output for so many years - to be replaced in the 1972 catalogue by generic solid body 'copies' of Gibson and Fender models. A number of new Gibson models are included for the first time: the SG-100 and SG-200 six string guitars and the SB-300 and SB-400 basses.
1968 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1968/1969 Selmer guitar catalogue (printed July 1968), showing the entire range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Hofner, Gibson, Selmer and Giannini. Selmer were the exclusive United Kingdom distributors of Hofner and Gibson at the time, and this catalogue contains a total of 18 electric guitars, 7 bass guitars, 37 acoustics, and 2 Hawaiian guitars - all produced outside the UK and imported by Selmer, with UK prices included in guineas. This catalogue saw the (re-)introduction of the late sixties Gibson Les Paul Custom and Les Paul Standard (see page 69) and the short-lived Hofner Club 70. Other electric models include: HOFNER ELECTRICS: Committee, Verithin 66, Ambassador, President, Senator, Galaxie, HOFNER BASSES: Violin bass, Verithin bass, Senator bass, Professional bass GIBSON ELECTRICS: Barney Kessel, ES-330TD, ES-335TD, ES-345TD, ES-175D, ES-125CD, SG Standard, SG Junior, SG Special GIBSON BASSES: EB-0, EB-2, EB-3 - plus a LOT of acoustics branded Gibson, Hofner, Selmer and Giannini
1961 Hofner Colorama IHofner Colorama was the name UK distributor Selmer gave to a series of solid and semi-solid guitars built by Hofner for distribution in the UK. The construction and specifications of the guitars varied over the period of production, but by 1961 it was a totally solid, double cutaway instrument, with a set neck, translucent cherry finish, six-in-a-row headstock, and Hofner Diamond logo pickups. Available as a single or dual pickup guitar, this sngle pickup version would have been sold in mainland Europe as the Hofner 161.
1971 Commodore N25 (Matsumoku)Commodore was a brand applied to a series of guitars produced in Japan at the well-respected Matsumoku plant from the late 1960s to the mid 1970s - and sold primarily (perhaps exclusively?) in the United Kingdom. The models bearing the Commodore name were all guitars available from different distributors with different branding. Although there may have been some minor changes in appointments (specifically headstock branding) most had the same basic bodies, hardware and construction. Equivalent models to the Commodore N25 (and this is by no means an exhaustive list) include the Aria 5102T, Conrad 5102T(?), Electra 2221, Lyle 5102T, Ventura V-1001, Univox Coily - and most famously the Epiphone 5102T / Epiphone EA-250.
1960 Hofner Colorama IIThe Hofner Colorama was the name given by Selmer to a series of solid (and semi-solid) body Hofner guitars distributed in the United Kingdom between 1958 and 1965. The Colorama name actually applied to some quite different guitars over the period, but in 1960 it was a very light, semi-solid, set necked guitar with one (Colorama I) or two (Colorama II, as seen here) Toaster pickups. Although an entry-level guitar, it was very well-built, and a fine playing guitar; certainly a step up (at least in terms of craftsmanship) from many of the Colorama guitars that would follow, and a good deal of the guitars available in Britain circa 1960.
1971 Epiphone 1820 (ET-280) bassBy the end of the 1960s, a decision had been made to move Epiphone guitar production from the USA (at the Kalamazoo plant where Gibson guitars were made), to Matsumoto in Japan, creating a line of guitars and basses significantly less expensive than the USA-built models (actually less than half the price). The Matsumoku factory had been producing guitars for export for some time, but the 1820 bass (alongside a number of guitar models and the 5120 electric acoustic bass) were the first Epiphone models to be made there. These new Epiphones were based on existing Matsumoku guitars, sharing body shapes, and hardware, but the Epiphone line was somewhat upgraded, with inlaid logos and a 2x2 peghead configuration. Over the course of the 70s, the Japanese output improved dramatically, and in many ways these early 70s models are a low point for the brand. Having said this, there are a lot worse guitars out there, and as well as being historically important, the 1820 bass can certainly provide the goods when required.
1981 Gibson MarauderProduction of Bill Lawrence's Gibson Marauder began in 1974, with production peaking in 1978. But by 1980 the model was officially discontinued, though very small numbers slipped out as late as spring 1981. Over 7000 examples shipped between 1974 and 1979, and although no totals are available for 1980 and 1981, it is unlikely production reached three figures in either of these years. These final Marauders were all assembled at the Gibson Nashville plant, and had some nice features not available through the later years of production, such as a rosewood fretboard, and in this case, an opaque 'Devil Red' finish. It's a great looking and fine playing guitar!