Vintage Guitar and Bass forum

What's your amp?

bob2

What's your amp?
« on: February 03, 2011, 11:27:41 PM »
When I was a young guy starting out I used a Fender Bassman just like most everyone did in the U.S. As time went on I'd go for bigger amps, Sunns, Ampegs and Acoustics. A lot would depend on the type of music I'd be playing, but it was usually rock or blues. By the time I was into my 40s I'd settled on an Acoustic 370 head with either one or two Sunn 2X15 cabs. Now I'm almost 60, and I'm either getting old or weak and I use an Acoustic 140 with an Acoustic 105 6X10 cab. It still has a good sound for taverns and doesn't weigh a ton. I lean towards solid state amps from the '70s and have only once used a rack setup. Maybe I'm a dinosaur! What kind of amps do you all use?

jules

• View Profile
What amps do you use?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 12:14:20 AM »
At home I have a number of small practice amps, but my favourites are

for bass: 1964 Ampeg B15 - such a beautiful bass sound - too fragile for gigging IMHO, but superb at home. All my old basses sound good through this, from cheapo rubbish to my best Gibsons.

for guitar: early seventies WEM clubman - a great little (6W?) valve amp. You can crank it up and it's loud enough to get the overtones you want, without anyone calling the police. Brilliant for home use. I've also got it's big brother the WEM Dominator - superb sounding, but a little too loud for home.

For gigs (bass) I use different amps depending on how full my car is, and how big the gig is etc. For small things I use a 5 year old Ampeg B200R. Nice sounding, reliable and (bought used) not too expensive. If someone spills beer on it, it won't be the end of the world. Heavy though. Currently this gets the most use; for practical reasons as much as anything.

If I can be bothered I might get out a separate head/cab: my 1970s Marshall Superbass head for example - great sounding with almost anything. I often bring this when i'm taking an EB3, which lends itself particularly well to this amp.

mrbass

• View Profile
Which amps
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 01:57:03 PM »
My Roland bass cube is solid and reliable. I rarely play out, but last time I did I used a markbass rig. Competent, not a amazing tone. Too modern sounding for me, but quite solid. Then again, I didn't have much time to tweak it.

It would certainly be nice to try a few bigger rigs, but i'm not sure my back could take moving them from A to B.

What about the Orange tiny terror bass gear. I've been close to hitting 'buy' a few times, but the expense.... But I like the small size. I know it isnt vintage, but the tiny size is a VERY handy feature. And i've always wanted an Orange.

Ricky

What's your amp?
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 01:27:11 PM »
I've had the same amp for years. Cheap thing it is. I've been saving for a while now and I'm not sure if to get an old Fender or Marsall amp.

Any suggestions?

jules

• View Profile
In the studio
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 12:54:49 AM »
I spent a few hours at Space Eko, Fulham the other day. A nice little studio in London. Our first visit, but a good opportunity to try out my Ampeg B15 on a band recording.

We recorded 4 songs - I wanted a bit of punky snarl on a couple songs, and a bit of Gibson mellowness on a couple more.

Here's my rig for the session - A 1965 Vox Clubman bass for the punky snarl and a 1969 Gibson Les Paul bass - both through my Ampeg B-15

The contrasts were significant. The Vox is one of the early UK-built and relatively inexpensive models with simple single coil pickups. The Gibson was about as fine a bass as you could get in the 1960s, and considerably more expensive. Both short scale though, and both superb sounding through the Ampeg the other day!

VOXguy

• View Profile
What's your amp?
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 08:11:40 PM »
I buy and sell amps frequently and of course, try them all out.  After much sorting here's what I have:
- Fender Super Champ XD - great little tube amp with 6 built in effects
- Fender Super Reverb - wanna pop ear drums? this amp loves all pedals,
- VOX AC 30 with celestion blues - the sound you want is in some combination of all those controls - easiest amp to make a strat quack
- Bugera 333XL - 120 tube watts make for a great "crunch" channel, and you can grind concrete with the lead channel and a good distortion pedal like a Blackstone,
- Ultrasound 30 for the acoustics - very simple, it just makes your guitar louder without changing its sound.
- Ampeg SVT & Ampeg Ultra Low 4x10 cabinet (doesn't stay in the shop all of the time like the B-15 and B-18 portaflexes - although the blue B-18 is so cool), and
- Peavy B115 - Just what it says, one 15" speaker and 80 watts - sounds like a B-15 just back from the shop, and it NEVER stops.

I tried a bunch of the high $ "boutique" amps, including several hand-wired amps - they're mostly over-priced hype.  If you ever worked in quality control at an electronics manufacturer (I have) you know you'll kick out 100 human "hands-on" connections for each machine controlled connection.

What's your amp?
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 07:15:34 AM »
Hi,,,
In 2001 I bought a Guild D-50 at McCabes in Long Beach. I assumed it was still there. I now live in Washington State (God's country). I'm taking lessons and playing my guitar daily for the past month. It has been neglected for years. I'm lovin it now and plan to keep progressing. Sorry to hear that the shop is no longer. I'm new to this forum :?
marktwin

Vintage guitars and amps
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 09:21:25 PM »
I have a 72' marshall super lead 100.   Also a 77' Ibanez Flying V.....which was one of the last to be made,as they were actually sued also in 77,for copy infringments.   Both are beyond....amazing.

What's your amp?
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2015, 02:44:47 PM »
Peavy TNT 160 bass amp, strong , heavy duty, powerfull, but I'm looking for a Gibson LP-1 LP-2 tube amp, its was the original amp for my Les Paul recording bass 1969, hard to find and probaly very expensive.

jules

• View Profile
What's your amp?
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 04:46:54 PM »
Quote from: g0ldrush;18557
hard to find and probaly very expensive.

Hard to find? Impossible here in the UK... but I have seen them for sale on US ebay, and although I can't recall a precise price, I remember being amazed at how cheap it was - if it wasn't so large and unshippable I would certainly have imported one.

I think they are so niche, that a lot of people don't know what they are, so if one gets put on ebay with a low start price, it might never go especially high.

Yes, I'd love one of those!

What's your amp?
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 08:39:08 PM »
The LP-1 LP-2 (LP-12) amp is early solid state. There has been one on eBay in great shape for well over a year. He is asking $1,999.00 for it & listing it for local pickup only. For whatever reason, it is not on there now. The bottom is extremely heavy. I don't ever plan on taking mine out for playing. I bought mine for $500.00 around 2007. The seller owned a business & did a lot of shipping by semi. The shipping was $180 or so & that was a bargain! It came on a semi trailer with no way to get it out. Four of my neighbors were luckily home to help lift it down & haul it to my garage. The seller said that he would strap it & pack it so well, that it could fall off the truck & come out unscathed! He did........ You see quite a few more LP-1 pre amps than you see complete units. Les Paul himself hauled around a setup with a much smaller powered speaker enclosure.

Here is a shot of my amp.........
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 08:47:23 PM by George Porter »

What's your amp?
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 08:47:57 PM »

jules

• View Profile
What's your amp?
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 09:49:49 AM »
You've got some fantastic gear George!

What's your amp?
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 07:17:10 PM »
This is an old thread but I'm happy to contribute to it. My rig for the past couple of years consists of a GK MB410-II Combo (500 watts) and a MBP410 powered cabinet (also 500 watts). Each one weights 50 lbs. Depending on the gig I can either take just the MB410-II and use it by itself or if the gig is bigger I'll bring the MBP410 along as well and have 810's being driven by 1000 watts.

TD

jules

• View Profile
What's your amp?
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 06:17:05 PM »
I've got this set up at home for general use just now - 1970s Lab series L2 - It's perfect for home playing, and sounds superb.

I use an old Ampeg B15 ('64) for recording quite often, but it is a bit fragile so I don't get it out for general playing. I really need to buy a flight case for it.

I've blown two Marshall valve amps in the last year (a 100w JMP and a 20w lead and bass) - my live rig of the last few months, so I'm back to my 1990s Ampeg B200 - which is actually a really great reliable combo.

So many places have good in-house rigs these days that taking an amp out with me is becoming a little bit of a rarity!

Recent posts on vintage guitar and bass

1970 Rosetti Epiphone guitar catalogScan of 1970 Epiphone guitar catalogue produced by Rosetti for the UK market. Undated but most likely from mid-late 1970, this was the first UK catalogue to show the new range of Japanese (Matsumoku) Epiphone guitars. Interestingly, these pages show the Epiphone solid bodies with a single-sided Fender-style headstock layout - a feature quickly replaced with a typical two-sided Epiphone headstock almost immediately. Epiphone electric guitars: 9520, 9525; bass guitars: 9521, 9526; acoustic guitars: 6730, 6830, 6834
1971 A World of Guitars by Rosetti catalogueScan of 1971 Rosetti catalogue (UK) featuring guitars from from numerous manufacturers worldwide: guitars by Epiphone, Hagstrom, Levin, Hoyer, Egmond, Eros, Moridaira, Kiso-Suzuki, Schaller, and Tatra.
1971 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1971 Selmer guitar catalogue showing the range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Gibson, Yamaha, Selmer, Hofner and Suzuki. 1960s Selmer had always placed Hofner at the front end of their catalogues, no doubt these were the better sellers - but into the 1970s Hofner were slipping somewhat and only appear at the tail end of this publication, pride of place going to Gibson, and to a lesser extent Yamaha. In fact this is the last Selmer catalogue to include the many Hofner hollow bodies (Committee, President, Senator etc) that had defined the companies output for so many years - to be replaced in the 1972 catalogue by generic solid body 'copies' of Gibson and Fender models. A number of new Gibson models are included for the first time: the SG-100 and SG-200 six string guitars and the SB-300 and SB-400 basses.
1968 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1968/1969 Selmer guitar catalogue (printed July 1968), showing the entire range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Hofner, Gibson, Selmer and Giannini. Selmer were the exclusive United Kingdom distributors of Hofner and Gibson at the time, and this catalogue contains a total of 18 electric guitars, 7 bass guitars, 37 acoustics, and 2 Hawaiian guitars - all produced outside the UK and imported by Selmer, with UK prices included in guineas. This catalogue saw the (re-)introduction of the late sixties Gibson Les Paul Custom and Les Paul Standard (see page 69) and the short-lived Hofner Club 70. Other electric models include: HOFNER ELECTRICS: Committee, Verithin 66, Ambassador, President, Senator, Galaxie, HOFNER BASSES: Violin bass, Verithin bass, Senator bass, Professional bass GIBSON ELECTRICS: Barney Kessel, ES-330TD, ES-335TD, ES-345TD, ES-175D, ES-125CD, SG Standard, SG Junior, SG Special GIBSON BASSES: EB-0, EB-2, EB-3 - plus a LOT of acoustics branded Gibson, Hofner, Selmer and Giannini
1961 Hofner Colorama IHofner Colorama was the name UK distributor Selmer gave to a series of solid and semi-solid guitars built by Hofner for distribution in the UK. The construction and specifications of the guitars varied over the period of production, but by 1961 it was a totally solid, double cutaway instrument, with a set neck, translucent cherry finish, six-in-a-row headstock, and Hofner Diamond logo pickups. Available as a single or dual pickup guitar, this sngle pickup version would have been sold in mainland Europe as the Hofner 161.
1971 Commodore N25 (Matsumoku)Commodore was a brand applied to a series of guitars produced in Japan at the well-respected Matsumoku plant from the late 1960s to the mid 1970s - and sold primarily (perhaps exclusively?) in the United Kingdom. The models bearing the Commodore name were all guitars available from different distributors with different branding. Although there may have been some minor changes in appointments (specifically headstock branding) most had the same basic bodies, hardware and construction. Equivalent models to the Commodore N25 (and this is by no means an exhaustive list) include the Aria 5102T, Conrad 5102T(?), Electra 2221, Lyle 5102T, Ventura V-1001, Univox Coily - and most famously the Epiphone 5102T / Epiphone EA-250.
1960 Hofner Colorama IIThe Hofner Colorama was the name given by Selmer to a series of solid (and semi-solid) body Hofner guitars distributed in the United Kingdom between 1958 and 1965. The Colorama name actually applied to some quite different guitars over the period, but in 1960 it was a very light, semi-solid, set necked guitar with one (Colorama I) or two (Colorama II, as seen here) Toaster pickups. Although an entry-level guitar, it was very well-built, and a fine playing guitar; certainly a step up (at least in terms of craftsmanship) from many of the Colorama guitars that would follow, and a good deal of the guitars available in Britain circa 1960.
1971 Epiphone 1820 (ET-280) bassBy the end of the 1960s, a decision had been made to move Epiphone guitar production from the USA (at the Kalamazoo plant where Gibson guitars were made), to Matsumoto in Japan, creating a line of guitars and basses significantly less expensive than the USA-built models (actually less than half the price). The Matsumoku factory had been producing guitars for export for some time, but the 1820 bass (alongside a number of guitar models and the 5120 electric acoustic bass) were the first Epiphone models to be made there. These new Epiphones were based on existing Matsumoku guitars, sharing body shapes, and hardware, but the Epiphone line was somewhat upgraded, with inlaid logos and a 2x2 peghead configuration. Over the course of the 70s, the Japanese output improved dramatically, and in many ways these early 70s models are a low point for the brand. Having said this, there are a lot worse guitars out there, and as well as being historically important, the 1820 bass can certainly provide the goods when required.
1981 Gibson MarauderProduction of Bill Lawrence's Gibson Marauder began in 1974, with production peaking in 1978. But by 1980 the model was officially discontinued, though very small numbers slipped out as late as spring 1981. Over 7000 examples shipped between 1974 and 1979, and although no totals are available for 1980 and 1981, it is unlikely production reached three figures in either of these years. These final Marauders were all assembled at the Gibson Nashville plant, and had some nice features not available through the later years of production, such as a rosewood fretboard, and in this case, an opaque 'Devil Red' finish. It's a great looking and fine playing guitar!