Trying to find the value of your guitar?

Latest updates
1966 Goya Electric Guitars catalogue
1966 Goya Electric Guitars catalogue, Goya was well-known for it's acoustic guitars, produced by Levin in Sweden; but in the mid 1960s they added a number of Italian-built electric guitars and basses. Semi-acoustic models such as the 105, 107 and 109 Rangemaster guitars and Panther II bass were made by Polverini, whilst solid body models 116 and 118 were made by Galanti. These were well-built good quality instruments, but perhaps too expensive to sell in large numbers.
1965 Vox Ace electric guitar
1965 Vox Ace electric guitar The Vox Ace was one of the early UK-designed Vox guitars produced by JMI in Dartford, Kent. It had been in production since at least 1962, but was redesigned for late 1963 with a more current look and a higher quality feel. The pickups were upgraded, as was the body; it was now thicker and made of solid wood. Despite this the guitar was now actually lighter in weight, due to a shorter overall length. Have a closer look at a sunburst-finished Vox Ace from 1965.
Older updates here

Default Ripper wiring diagram

I've seen a lot of people asking for Ripper wiring diagrams, but all there seems to be out there is the Gibson schematic, which doesn't help much if you can't read them. In sorting the wiring out on mine I had to map the electrics, so here it is, in case it's any use to someone else. Can't guarantee it's the original, but it works and gives 4 useable settings on the varitone, which I still don't understand.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by spinynorman; 08-22-2011 at 09:48 PM.

Incidentally, can anyone explain the Varitone to me? I thought about rewiring maybe pos 4 to neck pickup solo, but I have no idea what to solder where.

The switch on the Ripper isn't a varitone.

A Varitone selects between different capacitors in an LC Filter. L = inductor, C = capacitor.

It's similar to the Ripper's Midrange control but gives a more dramatic tone change.

The Ripper's switch is a pickup selector.

1: Both pickups in series
    2: Bridge pickup
    3: Both pickups in parallel
    4: Both pickups in series, out of phase.

Not a varitone, but is easy to mix them up. As I said earlier, the Midrange knob (bottom tone control) gives more of the effect of the traditional varitone (like on the ES-355, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by DisasterArea View Post
    The switch on the Ripper isn't a varitone.

It's similar to the Ripper's Midrange control but gives a more dramatic tone change.

The Ripper's switch is a pickup selector.

1: Both pickups in series
    2: Bridge pickup
    3: Both pickups in parallel
    4: Both pickups in series, out of phase.

Not a varitone, but is easy to mix them up. As I said earlier, the Midrange knob (bottom tone control) gives more of the effect of the traditional varitone (like on the ES-355, etc.)
    Thanks, it's a very complicated pickup selector.

I've put another version of the diagram up with the switch connectors numbered. Makes it a bit easier to talk about. On my '78 Ripper the wire from terminal 14 goes to 8, not 6. So I now need to check this again, either it is different, or I just got it wrong.

using the numbered Varitone pictured above, can someone tell me which wires are engaged for each of the 4 positions? I have a 1975 Ripper. Position 1 I get no sound. The other 3 work ok. I used Deoxit on the Varitone and pots, but still can't get position 1 to work. I thought maybe I would wire the neck PU by itself in the position 1 setting.

OK , I got # 1 to work. It was miss wired with the black wire from the neck PU going to #6 instead of #4. I rewired it and now #1 works. Also, my #14 goes to #8 (or 7, don't recall but they are connected), not #6 as noted in your picture. I have a 1975.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisdski View Post
    OK , I got # 1 to work. It was miss wired with the black wire from the neck PU going to #6 instead of #4. I rewired it and now #1 works. Also, my #14 goes to #8 (or 7, don't recall but they are connected), not #6 as noted in your picture. I have a 1975.
    Glad it works now. I expect my diagram is wrong about #14 going to #6. On the diagram I did for my 78 #14 goes to #8. I just haven't got round to checking it. There's so much wire in that cavity, it's no wonder they end up broken and wired wrong.