Vintage Guitar and Bass forum

Vintage gibson triumph bass

« on: April 24, 2010, 04:37:48 AM »
HI -- I'm new to this forum, so please bear with me.  I have a vintage Gibson Triumph Bass from the 70's (not sure what year) that used to be white and now has turned a mottled yellow.  Does anyone have any idea of what I could do or use to return it to its white state?  I believe I've uploaded an attachment.  If so, this is exactly what mine looks like. --- Thanks, Joy
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 01:05:08 PM by jules »

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 07:56:26 AM »
Hi Joy; the cream colour is it's natural ageing and a purist collector would prefer it that way. If you refinish it then it will drastically reduce it's value.

If you're not worried about it's value and just want to keep it to play then you would need to take it to a good luthier who is experienced in refinishing otherwise it could end up looking a mess.

Hope that helps a little.

Mike.
Retired Radio and Electronics Engineer residing in Cambridgeshire.

jules

• View Profile
cream vs white
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 04:24:02 PM »
Hi Joy, I think most people prefer the cream.

Gibson put a clear coat over the white, and that yellows with age. You could, I suppose incredibly carefully remove the top clear coat, and re-apply the clear coat, but i'd advise against this.

You know many people get guitars refinned white and then add a hint of yellow to the clear to make it less pure white.

Sorry to say this, but your best bet, is to learn to love it! :)

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 05:17:41 PM »
I agree with Jules; I think a guitar finished in Brilliant White just looks wrong. :frown:

My 1975 Ricky 4001 bass has gone a cream colour but I'd never think of changing it.

Mike.

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 06:41:58 PM »
Quote from: Repairman77;13654
Hi Joy; the cream colour is it's natural ageing and a purist collector would prefer it that way. If you refinish it then it will drastically reduce it's value.

If you're not worried about it's value and just want to keep it to play then you would need to take it to a good luthier who is experienced in refinishing otherwise it could end up looking a mess.

Hope that helps a little.

Mike.

Hi Mike -- Thanks for your reply.  Actually, it's turned a horrible mottled yellow, and I cannot remember if it started out white or cream.  Do you know how I could ascertain the original color?  I know this is asking a lot, but all you guys on this forum seem fairly knowledgeable about vintage basses.  I don't plan on selling it but don't wish to reduce the value as it'll eventually go to my son.  Thank you again -- Joy

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 08:19:26 AM »
Joy,

The only thing I could suggest is to give it a clean with T-cut, being careful not to rub too hard and remove too much of the finish. It may remove the discolouration, maybe not; but shouldn't devalue it. Try it on the back of the body first if that is discoloured as well.

Have you got an close-up pics of it that we can see?

Mike.

jules

• View Profile
white Les Paul Triumph bass
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 01:36:21 PM »
Quote from: JOYBANKS;13659
I cannot remember if it started out white or cream. Do you know how I could ascertain the original color?

Here is the original Les Paul Triumph catalogue page - they were white originally

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 09:08:14 PM »
Hi Jules -- Thank you so very much.  Great information.  I didn't know any of that.  In response to Repairman 77 who answered my initial query, I will take a photograph up close of my bass and will post it, probably later on today.  Although for Repairman 77, who lives in the UK, the time frame will be quite different.  8 hours, I believe.  Again, grateful for your information.  You all on this Forum know quite a lot.   --- Aloha, Joy

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 09:09:35 PM »
Quote from: Repairman77;13663
Joy,

The only thing I could suggest is to give it a clean with T-cut, being careful not to rub too hard and remove too much of the finish. It may remove the discolouration, maybe not; but shouldn't devalue it. Try it on the back of the body first if that is discoloured as well.

Mike.
Hi Mike -- Thanks.  I'm gonna try and find some T-cut, which I've never heard of before, and give it a good go.  And later on today (MY today in Hawaii), I'll be taking an up close photograph of the bass and will post it here.  Again, deepest appreciation.  --Aloha, Joy

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 06:23:14 AM »
Quote from: Repairman77;13663
Joy,

Mike.

Hi Mike.  Sorry for the delay.  I find this forum incredibly hard to use and seem to only land on the forum accidentally.  Anyway, do you know where I can find this T-cut?  And, as you requested, I'm going to attempt to post pix of the Triumph.  Can't thank you enough for your knowledge and willingness to share it with me.   --- Joy

Posting and uploading pictures
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 06:30:24 AM »
Landing on the forum at all for me appears to be quite serendipitous.  And as to uploading pictures, well, so far I have had no success.  Can you help? Thank You, Joy

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 02:14:18 PM »
Hi Joy,

Anyway, do you know where I can find this T-cut?

It may be called something different over there; it's a fine cutting compound used to revive misty or discoloured paintwork on cars. I'm sure they sell something similar there; ask your local motorist accessory shop.

As for pictures Jules will guide you through it.

Mike.

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 06:03:44 PM »
Quote from: Repairman77;13690
Hi Joy,

Anyway, do you know where I can find this T-cut?

It may be called something different over there; it's a fine cutting compound used to revive misty or discoloured paintwork on cars. I'm sure they sell something similar there; ask your local motorist accessory shop.

As for pictures Jules will guide you through it.

Mike.

Hi Mike -- And thanks.  As you can see, I managed to find your post today.  So, I'll just wait for Jules to respond so I can upload pix.  And yes, I checked on T-Cut on line and found places where I can get it.  I'll certainly try it.  Sounds good.  Thanks again. ---- Aloha, Joy

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 09:32:12 AM »
Quote from: JOYBANKS;13709
Hi Mike -- And thanks.  As you can see, I managed to find your post today.  So, I'll just wait for Jules to respond so I can upload pix.  And yes, I checked on T-Cut on line and found places where I can get it.  I'll certainly try it.  Sounds good.  Thanks again. ---- Aloha, Joy

Joy
Dont do it,unless you can confirm that the paint finish will not react with the T-Cut, T Cut is for automotive cellulose finishes not all guitar finishes were cellulose especially in the 70,s when manufacurers seemed to be experimenting with paints a lot more than today.I have used T cut and had very good results I have also used it and found that residue has gone through the paint and discoloured the original finish leaving loads of unsightly cream & brownish patches.Your guitar has taken the best part of 40 years to acheive what is a desirable colouration please dont risk it......
BUT if you must contact Gibson Im certain they will give you confirmation of the paint and laquer used,then you will be able to find out if T Cut reacts with these from T Cuts Material Data Sheet which will be available on line.

Good luck
Tino

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 05:05:34 PM »
Thanks for the info Tino but I've T-cut dozens of guitars from 60's to 90's and never had a problem with it. Also done many cars as well and never had any problems.

However the best way would be to do a small patch somewhere that doesn't show just in case; perhaps on the back.

Mike.

Recent posts on vintage guitar and bass

1970 Rosetti Epiphone guitar catalogScan of 1970 Epiphone guitar catalogue produced by Rosetti for the UK market. Undated but most likely from mid-late 1970, this was the first UK catalogue to show the new range of Japanese (Matsumoku) Epiphone guitars. Interestingly, these pages show the Epiphone solid bodies with a single-sided Fender-style headstock layout - a feature quickly replaced with a typical two-sided Epiphone headstock almost immediately. Epiphone electric guitars: 9520, 9525; bass guitars: 9521, 9526; acoustic guitars: 6730, 6830, 6834
1971 A World of Guitars by Rosetti catalogueScan of 1971 Rosetti catalogue (UK) featuring guitars from from numerous manufacturers worldwide: guitars by Epiphone, Hagstrom, Levin, Hoyer, Egmond, Eros, Moridaira, Kiso-Suzuki, Schaller, and Tatra.
1971 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1971 Selmer guitar catalogue showing the range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Gibson, Yamaha, Selmer, Hofner and Suzuki. 1960s Selmer had always placed Hofner at the front end of their catalogues, no doubt these were the better sellers - but into the 1970s Hofner were slipping somewhat and only appear at the tail end of this publication, pride of place going to Gibson, and to a lesser extent Yamaha. In fact this is the last Selmer catalogue to include the many Hofner hollow bodies (Committee, President, Senator etc) that had defined the companies output for so many years - to be replaced in the 1972 catalogue by generic solid body 'copies' of Gibson and Fender models. A number of new Gibson models are included for the first time: the SG-100 and SG-200 six string guitars and the SB-300 and SB-400 basses.
1968 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1968/1969 Selmer guitar catalogue (printed July 1968), showing the entire range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Hofner, Gibson, Selmer and Giannini. Selmer were the exclusive United Kingdom distributors of Hofner and Gibson at the time, and this catalogue contains a total of 18 electric guitars, 7 bass guitars, 37 acoustics, and 2 Hawaiian guitars - all produced outside the UK and imported by Selmer, with UK prices included in guineas. This catalogue saw the (re-)introduction of the late sixties Gibson Les Paul Custom and Les Paul Standard (see page 69) and the short-lived Hofner Club 70. Other electric models include: HOFNER ELECTRICS: Committee, Verithin 66, Ambassador, President, Senator, Galaxie, HOFNER BASSES: Violin bass, Verithin bass, Senator bass, Professional bass GIBSON ELECTRICS: Barney Kessel, ES-330TD, ES-335TD, ES-345TD, ES-175D, ES-125CD, SG Standard, SG Junior, SG Special GIBSON BASSES: EB-0, EB-2, EB-3 - plus a LOT of acoustics branded Gibson, Hofner, Selmer and Giannini
1961 Hofner Colorama IHofner Colorama was the name UK distributor Selmer gave to a series of solid and semi-solid guitars built by Hofner for distribution in the UK. The construction and specifications of the guitars varied over the period of production, but by 1961 it was a totally solid, double cutaway instrument, with a set neck, translucent cherry finish, six-in-a-row headstock, and Hofner Diamond logo pickups. Available as a single or dual pickup guitar, this sngle pickup version would have been sold in mainland Europe as the Hofner 161.
1971 Commodore N25 (Matsumoku)Commodore was a brand applied to a series of guitars produced in Japan at the well-respected Matsumoku plant from the late 1960s to the mid 1970s - and sold primarily (perhaps exclusively?) in the United Kingdom. The models bearing the Commodore name were all guitars available from different distributors with different branding. Although there may have been some minor changes in appointments (specifically headstock branding) most had the same basic bodies, hardware and construction. Equivalent models to the Commodore N25 (and this is by no means an exhaustive list) include the Aria 5102T, Conrad 5102T(?), Electra 2221, Lyle 5102T, Ventura V-1001, Univox Coily - and most famously the Epiphone 5102T / Epiphone EA-250.
1960 Hofner Colorama IIThe Hofner Colorama was the name given by Selmer to a series of solid (and semi-solid) body Hofner guitars distributed in the United Kingdom between 1958 and 1965. The Colorama name actually applied to some quite different guitars over the period, but in 1960 it was a very light, semi-solid, set necked guitar with one (Colorama I) or two (Colorama II, as seen here) Toaster pickups. Although an entry-level guitar, it was very well-built, and a fine playing guitar; certainly a step up (at least in terms of craftsmanship) from many of the Colorama guitars that would follow, and a good deal of the guitars available in Britain circa 1960.
1971 Epiphone 1820 (ET-280) bassBy the end of the 1960s, a decision had been made to move Epiphone guitar production from the USA (at the Kalamazoo plant where Gibson guitars were made), to Matsumoto in Japan, creating a line of guitars and basses significantly less expensive than the USA-built models (actually less than half the price). The Matsumoku factory had been producing guitars for export for some time, but the 1820 bass (alongside a number of guitar models and the 5120 electric acoustic bass) were the first Epiphone models to be made there. These new Epiphones were based on existing Matsumoku guitars, sharing body shapes, and hardware, but the Epiphone line was somewhat upgraded, with inlaid logos and a 2x2 peghead configuration. Over the course of the 70s, the Japanese output improved dramatically, and in many ways these early 70s models are a low point for the brand. Having said this, there are a lot worse guitars out there, and as well as being historically important, the 1820 bass can certainly provide the goods when required.
1981 Gibson MarauderProduction of Bill Lawrence's Gibson Marauder began in 1974, with production peaking in 1978. But by 1980 the model was officially discontinued, though very small numbers slipped out as late as spring 1981. Over 7000 examples shipped between 1974 and 1979, and although no totals are available for 1980 and 1981, it is unlikely production reached three figures in either of these years. These final Marauders were all assembled at the Gibson Nashville plant, and had some nice features not available through the later years of production, such as a rosewood fretboard, and in this case, an opaque 'Devil Red' finish. It's a great looking and fine playing guitar!