Trying to find the value of your guitar?

Latest updates
1966 Goya Electric Guitars catalogue
1966 Goya Electric Guitars catalogue, Goya was well-known for it's acoustic guitars, produced by Levin in Sweden; but in the mid 1960s they added a number of Italian-built electric guitars and basses. Semi-acoustic models such as the 105, 107 and 109 Rangemaster guitars and Panther II bass were made by Polverini, whilst solid body models 116 and 118 were made by Galanti. These were well-built good quality instruments, but perhaps too expensive to sell in large numbers.
1965 Vox Ace electric guitar
1965 Vox Ace electric guitar The Vox Ace was one of the early UK-designed Vox guitars produced by JMI in Dartford, Kent. It had been in production since at least 1962, but was redesigned for late 1963 with a more current look and a higher quality feel. The pickups were upgraded, as was the body; it was now thicker and made of solid wood. Despite this the guitar was now actually lighter in weight, due to a shorter overall length. Have a closer look at a sunburst-finished Vox Ace from 1965.
Older updates here

Default Kalamazoo archtop acoustic

About 5 years ago I inherited this guitar from my great-uncle whom I never knew even played. It was under his bed in it's case and very dusty. His wife said he never played this one. I had to replace the tuning machines (with re-pop Klusen Deluxes, same screw holes) and clean it a lot. I understand it to be late 30's or early 40's but nobody has told me for sure. I e-mailed pics of it to Gibson's historical dept. and the guy told me it had been refinished. He said that none of them were blonde finish for this model. I know that it has never been refinished. My uncle was no craftsmen and would not have paid for it to be done by another. It is a really neat guitar and plays nice. It has very nice birdseye/flame wood grain on the sides and back. Anybody else seen on like this?

I wanted to keep playing the guitar but was worried about the original brittle pickguard so I fashioned a new one out of faux tortoise blank.

Default Kalamazoo

That's really nice. I like the binding especially.

Thanks. Here's a shot of the back:

Nice Guitar; Re date, although Kalamazoo started in the 30's as the cheapest range of Gibson guitars, I think this is more likely to be circa 1960.
    That exact tailpiece was used on 1960 ES125s. "5927H" may indeed be the date, 1959, week 27.
    It appears to be based on the ES125T electric series, and it doesn't look refinished to me. The top and back would have to be done; can't see any point anyone doing that, especially with the chequer binding which could be damaged easily in a refinish.
    They are great looking guitars but not particularly valuable; if it was marked Gibson on the headstock it would be very desirable.
    Hope you enjoy playing it; it should have a nice mellow tone.
    Mike.

According to the bible (Gruhn's Guide to Vintage Guitars) Gibson's budget brand Kalamazoo originally existed between 1937 and 1942. It was later revived between 1965 and 1970. However, all of these latter instruments (with the exception of one) were solidbody electrics. The one exception was model KG-10, which was an all-mahogany flat-top acoustic.

The instrument pictured above dates to the first period of production (1937-42). In 1940, Gibson introduced a line of guitars known as the Kalamazoo/Oriole models which featured a natural finish. The above guitar would appear to be model KGN-32, the specs for which are as follows:

KGN-32: Oriole model, arched top and back, f-holes, L-50 size, 16" wide, spruce top, maple back and sides, adjustable bridge, trapeze tailpiece, single-bound pickguard, tortoise grain binding on top and back,unbound rosewood fingerboard, dot inlay, ebony nut, bird decal (Oriole)on peghead, natural finish.

The only feature I can't confirm from the photos is the existence of the bird decal, but this may have been removed anyway.

Heres an interesting link: http://www.folkwaymusic.com/instrume...opgallery.html

Scroll down until you get to 1941 Kalamazoo KG-32N.
    Last edited by guitardunc; 11-25-2009 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Additional information!

Further to my last post, the ink-stamped number (5927H) inside the guitar is the factory order number and letter (year) code. According to Gruhn, the following letter codes apply:

Year Letter
    1935 A
    1936 B
    1937 C
    1938 D
    1939 E
    1940 F
    1941 G

Gruhn does not specify a code for 1942. This may be because production of guitars in the Gibson factory was largely suspended at this time in order to concentrate on the war effort. However, it would be reasonable to surmise that the few guitars produced during 1942 would have an 'H' letter code. That's just my guess, but I think it's the closest you'll get to the truth. The guy at Gibson who told you they didn't make natural finished guitars at that time should do a bit more homework.

thanks to everyone for the help and interest!