Vintage Guitar and Bass forum

EB3 tone choke removal

barend

• View Profile
EB3 tone choke removal
« on: July 27, 2008, 02:23:51 PM »
I want the tone choke of the neck pick up on my EB3 removed. I have brought it to a luthier and he did a mod which can easily be returned to it's original position.

He removed the tone choke condensor (?). So now I have position 1 and 4 is the same: neck pickup unchoked, position 2 is bridge pickup and position 3 is both (unchoked).

Should this be enough? or is there something else which needs to be removed?. because I don't hear much difference with how the sound in position 4 is now and then. In position 1 I hear the difference of course.

Also he added a 22k resistor for the bridge pickup. But now my bridge pickup is too soft. So I what this resistor to be removed. Or maybe a lighter resistor. Any ideas?

jules

• View Profile
EB3 mod
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 12:19:26 AM »
so you'll just have neck / bridge / both? Why not go with a 3-way switch?

One thing i've always disliked about the EB3 is that you can't turn the volume of one pickup down and still get volume out of the other, when both are selected.

I'd like to have neck pickup on full, and just dial in maybe 2-3 on the bridge, but with tone on 3 or thereabouts. But you can't, it drops both volumes down.

barend

• View Profile
EB3 tone choke removal
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 01:37:48 AM »
I don't want to change too much on my bass. I just want the tone choke removed and I am not completely sure if it is removed now.

But you're right it is annoying that you can't control the volumes of both pickups, you can but in a limited way.

EB3 tone choke removal
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 07:48:38 PM »
Barend- there are usually two wires coming out of the choke.  You could probably look to see if either side is disconnected.  The choke is that big tin enclosure in the middle of the control cavity:

All you would need to do to bypass the choke is to disconnect the connection to ground - highlighted in red in this schematic:

If you still wanted to retain the filtering functionality of the varitone, there are a number of ways to go about it.  I think the least intrusive would be to have one of the original pots replaced with a pot/switch combo (push/pull, etc...) to cut the choke's ground connection at will.  If done with care, the original parts could be put back (if you wanted) in the future, and it would be really hard for someone to detect that anything had been altered (again- if done well).  

(One note about the push/pull pots - be aware that the bodies on these basses are fairly shallow, and some of the pots available with integrated switches might be too tall to fit.  Just something to doublecheck before you buy them)
Regards,
Joe

barend

• View Profile
EB3 tone choke removal
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 08:50:17 PM »
Hi Chromium, thanks for the help and the pics! that is great.

Here is a picture of how my electronics are right now. I don't know much about electronics so maybe someone can check it from the picture. The luthier told he did something with the green wire.
I don't have the tone choke anymore on position one. But I want to be sure that it is completely removed from the circuit.

and what about the 22k resistor for the brigde pickup. Do you think that is a good idea? I think the bridge pickup sounds too soft now and i think I want it removed.

EB3 tone choke removal
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 09:46:13 PM »
It looks like he disconnected the green wire from the rotary switch (green arrow), covered the bare wire with a piece of black heat shrink tubing (blue arrow), and tucked it away into the body route that leads off to the neck pickup.  You could probably pull on the wire and see that it is loose, and just sitting in there:

If that's the case, then the choke is out of the circuit.  You should hear quite a difference now, compared to the muffled thunder of the original position one.  Now you are in full-range EB-0 mud territory!   :D

I'm not sure of what impact removing that resistor will have - I've never tried it.  You could actually just leave the resistor in there and connect a bare wire to both sides of it.  That'll essentially short it out of the circuit, as if it wasn't there.  If you do try that, let us know how it works!
Regards,
Joe

doom

• View Profile
EB3 tone choke removal
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 12:18:23 AM »
Quote from: jules
One thing i've always disliked about the EB3 is that you can't turn the volume of one pickup down and still get volume out of the other, when both are selected.

I'd like to have neck pickup on full, and just dial in maybe 2-3 on the bridge, but with tone on 3 or thereabouts. But you can't, it drops both volumes down.

I have no idea why but Gibson decided to connect the wire from the pickup to an outer lug of the volume pots on EB-3's. Usually you connect the mid lug. Instead they reversed it and put the "output wire" on the mid lug which results in the "wrong side" being shortcut to ground.. If you want to you can simply switch places of these wires to get a normal function (ie only the pickup intended to is shortcut to ground) without the volume controls interacting when using both pickups.

barend

• View Profile
EB3 tone choke removal
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 10:02:05 AM »
Quote from: chromium
It looks like he disconnected the green wire from the rotary switch (green arrow), covered the bare wire with a piece of black heat shrink tubing (blue arrow), and tucked it away into the body route that leads off to the neck pickup.  You could probably pull on the wire and see that it is loose, and just sitting in there

yes, that is what he has done. Now you say it, that is what he told me. But I didn't know if that was the correct way to get the tone choke out

If that's the case, then the choke is out of the circuit.  You should hear quite a difference now, compared to the muffled thunder of the original position one.  Now you are in full-range EB-0 mud territory!  

Of course I hear the diffence with position one (that is now the same as position 4). But frankly I don't hear any difference with position 4. I would have expected that because I read hear on this forum that the tone choke was also in the circuit in position 4.

I'm not sure of what impact removing that resistor will have - I've never tried it.  You could actually just leave the resistor in there and connect a bare wire to both sides of it.  That'll essentially short it out of the circuit, as if it wasn't there.  If you do try that, let us know how it works!

when I brought the bass there was no resistor (it are the original electronics) but he has put a 22K resistor for the bridge pickup (you can see that on the picture). He said the pickups are more balanced this way. But now the bridge pickup is too soft compared to the neck pickup. So I think I want it back to the original state (without the resistor). Or maybe a lighter resistor so the volume drop is less.

EB3 tone choke removal
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 10:11:28 PM »
Quote from: barend
But frankly I don't hear any difference with position 4. I would have expected that because I read hear on this forum that the tone choke was also in the circuit in position 4.

Position four on my EB-3 engages the choke and cuts the lows and low-mids from the sound of the soloed mudbucker.  This yields a more clear-and-present mud sound, but it is thinner and lacks the body and fullness (and volume) of the wide open mudbucker (ala the EB-0).  When I have the two side-by-side, the difference is really pronounced.

I suppose if you are curious about it, you could always temporarily clip that green wire back onto that prong from which it was unsoldered and A/B the effect on position 4 - see if it really made a difference on your bass.
Regards,
Joe

doom

• View Profile
EB3 tone choke removal
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 11:32:35 PM »

If that's the case, then the choke is out of the circuit.  You should hear quite a difference now, compared to the muffled thunder of the original position one.  Now you are in full-range EB-0 mud territory!  

Of course I hear the diffence with position one (that is now the same as position 4). But frankly I don't hear any difference with position 4. I would have expected that because I read hear on this forum that the tone choke was also in the circuit in position 4.

Note (on the schematics) that when in pos 3 and 4 the cap in the choke circuit acts different from when in position 1. In pos 3 and 4 it works in parallell with the resistor but is in series in the signal path making it act like a high pass filter. That's why you don't hear much difference. If you really want full mud (EB-0 way) you'd have to bypass both the remaining resistor and cap.

barend

• View Profile
EB3 tone choke removal
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 04:42:03 AM »
So doom you are saying that right now I don't have the fully mud (EB-0) sound and the tone choke is still in the circuit of position 3 and 4? even with the green wire disconnected to the rotary switch?
That is something I really want to know and why I started this topic in the first place.

I think position 4 has very much lows, even too many. That's why I always combine it with the bridge pickup

doom

• View Profile
EB3 tone choke removal
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 09:25:00 AM »
So doom you are saying that right now I don't have the fully mud (EB-0) sound and the tone choke is still in the circuit of position 3 and 4? even with the green wire disconnected to the rotary switch?

Yes, when using position 1 you have a resistor in series in the signal path (just like your bridge signal after the luthier mod). In position 3 and 4 the cap is also engaged in the manner I described earlier.

I think position 4 has very much lows, even too many. That's why I always combine it with the bridge pickup

That's strange because if I'm not totally mistaken it should cut some bass frequensies when using pos 4 even with the coil cut out of circuit. Position 1 is supposed to have more low end than pos 4.

barend

• View Profile
EB3 tone choke removal
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 10:35:11 AM »
ok, so what did disconnecting the green wire have for effect then? only that I am not able to get the tone choked sound in position 1? that sound was too muddy and useless for me anyway. But if that is the only thing then disconnecting the wire was pointless because I didn't use position  1 and now I also don't use it because it is the same as position 4 now.

I am still a little bit confused.

I am using this bass as my main bass in one my bands so I want it to function as good as it can.

jules

• View Profile
EB3 mods
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 05:06:11 PM »
Quote from: doom

I have no idea why but Gibson decided to connect the wire from the pickup to an outer lug of the volume pots on EB-3's. Usually you connect the mid lug. Instead they reversed it and put the "output wire" on the mid lug which results in the "wrong side" being shortcut to ground.. If you want to you can simply switch places of these wires to get a normal function.

Wow, i'm definately going to try that. Along with Joe's serial/parallel coil tap modification

That could be amazing. An EB3 with greatly increased tonal possibility. I've got three EB3 projects on the go (all at luthiers having neck or body repairs) I reckon i'm going to try these on at least one of them.

EB3 tone choke removal
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 09:01:18 PM »
ok, so what did disconnecting the green wire have for effect then? only that I am not able to get the tone choked sound in position 1? that sound was too muddy and useless for me anyway. But if that is the only thing then disconnecting the wire was pointless because I didn't use position  1 and now I also don't use it because it is the same as position 4 now.

I am still a little bit confused.

This probably isn't helping with the confusion level, but here it goes anyway  :D

Doom is right that the resistor is still in the circuit (pos 1) and the resistor and cap and in the circuit in parallel (pos 4, etc..), but what I'm confused about is where they would have an discernable effect on the actual sound.  Since the cap is inline and in parallel with the resistor in pos 4, it should just be passing high frequency signals, and the full range signal is still passing thru the resistor - in other words, nothing is being diverted to ground (filtered out) since the path to ground was broken by removing the green wire.  I can see where these components will have an effect on the overall impedance of the circuit, but not on the actual sound so much.

Doom- please help me understand it if I'm missing something there - I'm far from an expert on this stuff  :shock:  :D  and I'd like to know

Barend- the way it is right now, does your bass sound the same on position 1 and position 4?  That is what I would have expected from the change you made of removing the green wire.  I'd expect pos 1 to now sound less muffled, and pos 4 to now have more low end and low mids - and both positions should sound almost exactly the same.  

BTW- I like that trick with the volume controls too.  I wish I would have known that when I rewired my EB-2D with the choke bybass!
Regards,
Joe

Recent posts on vintage guitar and bass

1970 Rosetti Epiphone guitar catalogScan of 1970 Epiphone guitar catalogue produced by Rosetti for the UK market. Undated but most likely from mid-late 1970, this was the first UK catalogue to show the new range of Japanese (Matsumoku) Epiphone guitars. Interestingly, these pages show the Epiphone solid bodies with a single-sided Fender-style headstock layout - a feature quickly replaced with a typical two-sided Epiphone headstock almost immediately. Epiphone electric guitars: 9520, 9525; bass guitars: 9521, 9526; acoustic guitars: 6730, 6830, 6834
1971 A World of Guitars by Rosetti catalogueScan of 1971 Rosetti catalogue (UK) featuring guitars from from numerous manufacturers worldwide: guitars by Epiphone, Hagstrom, Levin, Hoyer, Egmond, Eros, Moridaira, Kiso-Suzuki, Schaller, and Tatra.
1971 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1971 Selmer guitar catalogue showing the range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Gibson, Yamaha, Selmer, Hofner and Suzuki. 1960s Selmer had always placed Hofner at the front end of their catalogues, no doubt these were the better sellers - but into the 1970s Hofner were slipping somewhat and only appear at the tail end of this publication, pride of place going to Gibson, and to a lesser extent Yamaha. In fact this is the last Selmer catalogue to include the many Hofner hollow bodies (Committee, President, Senator etc) that had defined the companies output for so many years - to be replaced in the 1972 catalogue by generic solid body 'copies' of Gibson and Fender models. A number of new Gibson models are included for the first time: the SG-100 and SG-200 six string guitars and the SB-300 and SB-400 basses.
1968 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1968/1969 Selmer guitar catalogue (printed July 1968), showing the entire range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Hofner, Gibson, Selmer and Giannini. Selmer were the exclusive United Kingdom distributors of Hofner and Gibson at the time, and this catalogue contains a total of 18 electric guitars, 7 bass guitars, 37 acoustics, and 2 Hawaiian guitars - all produced outside the UK and imported by Selmer, with UK prices included in guineas. This catalogue saw the (re-)introduction of the late sixties Gibson Les Paul Custom and Les Paul Standard (see page 69) and the short-lived Hofner Club 70. Other electric models include: HOFNER ELECTRICS: Committee, Verithin 66, Ambassador, President, Senator, Galaxie, HOFNER BASSES: Violin bass, Verithin bass, Senator bass, Professional bass GIBSON ELECTRICS: Barney Kessel, ES-330TD, ES-335TD, ES-345TD, ES-175D, ES-125CD, SG Standard, SG Junior, SG Special GIBSON BASSES: EB-0, EB-2, EB-3 - plus a LOT of acoustics branded Gibson, Hofner, Selmer and Giannini
1961 Hofner Colorama IHofner Colorama was the name UK distributor Selmer gave to a series of solid and semi-solid guitars built by Hofner for distribution in the UK. The construction and specifications of the guitars varied over the period of production, but by 1961 it was a totally solid, double cutaway instrument, with a set neck, translucent cherry finish, six-in-a-row headstock, and Hofner Diamond logo pickups. Available as a single or dual pickup guitar, this sngle pickup version would have been sold in mainland Europe as the Hofner 161.
1971 Commodore N25 (Matsumoku)Commodore was a brand applied to a series of guitars produced in Japan at the well-respected Matsumoku plant from the late 1960s to the mid 1970s - and sold primarily (perhaps exclusively?) in the United Kingdom. The models bearing the Commodore name were all guitars available from different distributors with different branding. Although there may have been some minor changes in appointments (specifically headstock branding) most had the same basic bodies, hardware and construction. Equivalent models to the Commodore N25 (and this is by no means an exhaustive list) include the Aria 5102T, Conrad 5102T(?), Electra 2221, Lyle 5102T, Ventura V-1001, Univox Coily - and most famously the Epiphone 5102T / Epiphone EA-250.
1960 Hofner Colorama IIThe Hofner Colorama was the name given by Selmer to a series of solid (and semi-solid) body Hofner guitars distributed in the United Kingdom between 1958 and 1965. The Colorama name actually applied to some quite different guitars over the period, but in 1960 it was a very light, semi-solid, set necked guitar with one (Colorama I) or two (Colorama II, as seen here) Toaster pickups. Although an entry-level guitar, it was very well-built, and a fine playing guitar; certainly a step up (at least in terms of craftsmanship) from many of the Colorama guitars that would follow, and a good deal of the guitars available in Britain circa 1960.
1971 Epiphone 1820 (ET-280) bassBy the end of the 1960s, a decision had been made to move Epiphone guitar production from the USA (at the Kalamazoo plant where Gibson guitars were made), to Matsumoto in Japan, creating a line of guitars and basses significantly less expensive than the USA-built models (actually less than half the price). The Matsumoku factory had been producing guitars for export for some time, but the 1820 bass (alongside a number of guitar models and the 5120 electric acoustic bass) were the first Epiphone models to be made there. These new Epiphones were based on existing Matsumoku guitars, sharing body shapes, and hardware, but the Epiphone line was somewhat upgraded, with inlaid logos and a 2x2 peghead configuration. Over the course of the 70s, the Japanese output improved dramatically, and in many ways these early 70s models are a low point for the brand. Having said this, there are a lot worse guitars out there, and as well as being historically important, the 1820 bass can certainly provide the goods when required.
1981 Gibson MarauderProduction of Bill Lawrence's Gibson Marauder began in 1974, with production peaking in 1978. But by 1980 the model was officially discontinued, though very small numbers slipped out as late as spring 1981. Over 7000 examples shipped between 1974 and 1979, and although no totals are available for 1980 and 1981, it is unlikely production reached three figures in either of these years. These final Marauders were all assembled at the Gibson Nashville plant, and had some nice features not available through the later years of production, such as a rosewood fretboard, and in this case, an opaque 'Devil Red' finish. It's a great looking and fine playing guitar!