Gibson EB2 bridge

Gibson EB2 bridge
« on: April 17, 2008, 05:27:32 PM »
hello,

i'm new here and have a little question
a few days ago my gibson eb2 bass i bought through abay arrived at home
but there seemed to be a problem with the bridge
it isn't the original one and pushes the snares up much too high
also some snare raffle against the plastic holders (hope i'm a bit clear here)
would anyone know how and where i could purchase an original eb2 bridge? any advice very welcome
cheers

christophe

Gibson EB2 bridge
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 10:06:25 PM »
What year was the bass manufactured and any photos?
Huh?

Gibson EB2 bridge
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 05:09:07 PM »
well, i tried to check it on the internet and i think i found out the bass must have been manufactured between 61 en 69, no further details are mentioned

here are some pics

cheers

christophe

eb2

• View Profile
Gibson EB2 bridge
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 05:27:21 PM »
hope i'm a bit clear here

You could be a little clearer.  Can you get a picture of the bridge that is on your bass?  The one that is in those pics looks like an original late 60s EB2.  Is that yours?  I am also unclear on what you mean by snares.  

The bad news is you can only get an original bridge via the used market.  Typically ebay has one pop up every few weeks, sometimes with the studs.  Also, in bad news, is you can't get a bass bridge that will replace the EB2 bridge, as most are made for flat tops and Fender basses.  The EB2 has an electronic choke under the bridge, covered by a huge glob of wax, which will prevent the use of any bridge designed to screw into the top.  There are ways around this, but they are rather involved.  And if your bass was mangled in some way to replace the original bridge, the damage done may not be worth your while.

You really need to get some pics up here.  If you need help doing that, ask.
boom

Gibson EB2 bridge
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 05:48:01 PM »
hey eb2
thanks for your reply
i guess you're right, so i'll try and be a bit clearer here
by snares i ment strings (sorry for my english)
these are two pics of bridges
the first is the one that's on my eb2 now (exactly the same although it's not a pic of my guitar)
the second one is the bridge i'd like to find

i'm afraid harm's already been done
i think they sawed off de screws and put a two point nylon holder bridge on it

but if i can find a bridge with the original screws i think that would solve the problem

how do you see things

kind regards

christophe

eb2

• View Profile
Gibson EB2 bridge
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 12:22:08 AM »
OK - We are narrowing down the issue.  First - you cannot change the bridges between these two types.  The studs aren't the problem, it is the placement of the stud insert on the G string side. On a 67-72 EB2 the two studs are parrallel to each other, and on the earlier types the G string stud is slightly north of the E string stud.  

We need some pics of your EB2 to narrow down if the bridge that is on there is in fact the problem.  It may be original and been badly adjusted or suffer from inherent tilting.  How is the neck on your bass?  How do the strings sit off the fretboard currently?
boom

doom

• View Profile
Gibson EB2 bridge
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 08:52:29 PM »
A tilted nylon saddle (or tune-o-matic) bridge is a common problem and is often related to the two hex screws that are supposed to lock the bridge against the studs (they arel ocated on the rear end). If someone has tried to adjust the height frequently without loosening the locking screws they make groves in the studs which makes it harder for the screws to lock properly. See if you have these hex-headed screws, try to loosen them and simply puch down the rear end and tighten them. If you're lucky this will do it. It did for me when I got my EB-3 which had a severe tilt issue.

Gibson EB2 bridge
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 01:04:27 AM »
hey doom
so if i get it right
a nylon holder bridge can be an original one?
i was thinking, since the strings were being tilted up so hard, the bridge was just a wrong type
but that may not be the case
do i make the right conclusion?
i see the hex screws on my bridge here, so i'll try to adjust them
to be continued ...
thx

Gibson EB2 bridge
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 02:09:05 AM »
and to eb2!

i took some pics of the bass, sorry for the poor quality

i have the impression there is a slight difference north or south depending upon how you look at it
the strings at this point are tilled up much too high
and i understand that this two point nylon holder bridge could be the original one, but without the choke
i'll also try to adjust the hax screws at the rear end of the bridge like doom suggests

cheers

christophe

eb2

• View Profile
Gibson EB2 bridge
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 05:32:37 AM »
That is the original bridge, and you are probably only needing to spend lots of time adjusting it.  No problem there, as they do take a lot of work to get right, and sometimes a wood shim under the front of the bridge will keep it from tilting forward.  Some people like to use pennies.  You are missing the mute - the choke is the electronic circuit piece hidden beneath that rectangular plastic cover.  Looks like you got a nice bass there.
boom

jules

• View Profile
Bridges
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 12:46:46 PM »
It is definately worth getting that bridge (it is the original) to work - the post spacing is also different on the older type so it wouldn't fit anyway

If you can track down a mute (they are on ebay every month or so) you will also find that the tilting is reduced a little - it acts in much the same way as the shim... but obviously if you have the bridge really low to the body the mute might get in the way. They were often removed for this reason.

One last thing... you need to make sure the silk windings at the end of the string are not over the saddles. This will raise the strings further, and give no end of intonation problems.

Gibson EB2 bridge
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 12:38:21 AM »
waw, all these interesting informations and good advise
thanks to everyone trying to get this little problem fixed
i only have to get a hex screw handler and i'll be settled i guess
thx again
christophe

Recent posts on vintage guitar and bass

1970 Rosetti Epiphone guitar catalogScan of 1970 Epiphone guitar catalogue produced by Rosetti for the UK market. Undated but most likely from mid-late 1970, this was the first UK catalogue to show the new range of Japanese (Matsumoku) Epiphone guitars. Interestingly, these pages show the Epiphone solid bodies with a single-sided Fender-style headstock layout - a feature quickly replaced with a typical two-sided Epiphone headstock almost immediately. Epiphone electric guitars: 9520, 9525; bass guitars: 9521, 9526; acoustic guitars: 6730, 6830, 6834
1971 A World of Guitars by Rosetti catalogueScan of 1971 Rosetti catalogue (UK) featuring guitars from from numerous manufacturers worldwide: guitars by Epiphone, Hagstrom, Levin, Hoyer, Egmond, Eros, Moridaira, Kiso-Suzuki, Schaller, and Tatra.
1971 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1971 Selmer guitar catalogue showing the range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Gibson, Yamaha, Selmer, Hofner and Suzuki. 1960s Selmer had always placed Hofner at the front end of their catalogues, no doubt these were the better sellers - but into the 1970s Hofner were slipping somewhat and only appear at the tail end of this publication, pride of place going to Gibson, and to a lesser extent Yamaha. In fact this is the last Selmer catalogue to include the many Hofner hollow bodies (Committee, President, Senator etc) that had defined the companies output for so many years - to be replaced in the 1972 catalogue by generic solid body 'copies' of Gibson and Fender models. A number of new Gibson models are included for the first time: the SG-100 and SG-200 six string guitars and the SB-300 and SB-400 basses.
1968 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1968/1969 Selmer guitar catalogue (printed July 1968), showing the entire range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Hofner, Gibson, Selmer and Giannini. Selmer were the exclusive United Kingdom distributors of Hofner and Gibson at the time, and this catalogue contains a total of 18 electric guitars, 7 bass guitars, 37 acoustics, and 2 Hawaiian guitars - all produced outside the UK and imported by Selmer, with UK prices included in guineas. This catalogue saw the (re-)introduction of the late sixties Gibson Les Paul Custom and Les Paul Standard (see page 69) and the short-lived Hofner Club 70. Other electric models include: HOFNER ELECTRICS: Committee, Verithin 66, Ambassador, President, Senator, Galaxie, HOFNER BASSES: Violin bass, Verithin bass, Senator bass, Professional bass GIBSON ELECTRICS: Barney Kessel, ES-330TD, ES-335TD, ES-345TD, ES-175D, ES-125CD, SG Standard, SG Junior, SG Special GIBSON BASSES: EB-0, EB-2, EB-3 - plus a LOT of acoustics branded Gibson, Hofner, Selmer and Giannini
1961 Hofner Colorama IHofner Colorama was the name UK distributor Selmer gave to a series of solid and semi-solid guitars built by Hofner for distribution in the UK. The construction and specifications of the guitars varied over the period of production, but by 1961 it was a totally solid, double cutaway instrument, with a set neck, translucent cherry finish, six-in-a-row headstock, and Hofner Diamond logo pickups. Available as a single or dual pickup guitar, this sngle pickup version would have been sold in mainland Europe as the Hofner 161.
1971 Commodore N25 (Matsumoku)Commodore was a brand applied to a series of guitars produced in Japan at the well-respected Matsumoku plant from the late 1960s to the mid 1970s - and sold primarily (perhaps exclusively?) in the United Kingdom. The models bearing the Commodore name were all guitars available from different distributors with different branding. Although there may have been some minor changes in appointments (specifically headstock branding) most had the same basic bodies, hardware and construction. Equivalent models to the Commodore N25 (and this is by no means an exhaustive list) include the Aria 5102T, Conrad 5102T(?), Electra 2221, Lyle 5102T, Ventura V-1001, Univox Coily - and most famously the Epiphone 5102T / Epiphone EA-250.
1960 Hofner Colorama IIThe Hofner Colorama was the name given by Selmer to a series of solid (and semi-solid) body Hofner guitars distributed in the United Kingdom between 1958 and 1965. The Colorama name actually applied to some quite different guitars over the period, but in 1960 it was a very light, semi-solid, set necked guitar with one (Colorama I) or two (Colorama II, as seen here) Toaster pickups. Although an entry-level guitar, it was very well-built, and a fine playing guitar; certainly a step up (at least in terms of craftsmanship) from many of the Colorama guitars that would follow, and a good deal of the guitars available in Britain circa 1960.
1971 Epiphone 1820 (ET-280) bassBy the end of the 1960s, a decision had been made to move Epiphone guitar production from the USA (at the Kalamazoo plant where Gibson guitars were made), to Matsumoto in Japan, creating a line of guitars and basses significantly less expensive than the USA-built models (actually less than half the price). The Matsumoku factory had been producing guitars for export for some time, but the 1820 bass (alongside a number of guitar models and the 5120 electric acoustic bass) were the first Epiphone models to be made there. These new Epiphones were based on existing Matsumoku guitars, sharing body shapes, and hardware, but the Epiphone line was somewhat upgraded, with inlaid logos and a 2x2 peghead configuration. Over the course of the 70s, the Japanese output improved dramatically, and in many ways these early 70s models are a low point for the brand. Having said this, there are a lot worse guitars out there, and as well as being historically important, the 1820 bass can certainly provide the goods when required.
1981 Gibson MarauderProduction of Bill Lawrence's Gibson Marauder began in 1974, with production peaking in 1978. But by 1980 the model was officially discontinued, though very small numbers slipped out as late as spring 1981. Over 7000 examples shipped between 1974 and 1979, and although no totals are available for 1980 and 1981, it is unlikely production reached three figures in either of these years. These final Marauders were all assembled at the Gibson Nashville plant, and had some nice features not available through the later years of production, such as a rosewood fretboard, and in this case, an opaque 'Devil Red' finish. It's a great looking and fine playing guitar!