Vintage Guitar and Bass forum

Gibson L6-S

Gibson L6-S
« on: September 14, 2010, 11:29:00 PM »
I bought this new back in 74? or 75? or maybe 76? Can't remember causin' I'm gettin' older... Serial # 129202... Can anyone help me out with date and data on it?

Gibson L6-S
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 03:14:00 AM »
Well, the 6 digit serial number indicates a guitar produced between 1970-75 so your memory is still holding strong. The dot inlay neck was produced between 1975-80 so I'm thinking you guitar was made in 1975.

The early pups were 5-sided humbuckers (1973-75) and the later pups were covered standard pups (1975-80) so the pups also suggest a date of 1975.

Your guitar is finished in Natural Maple which was the most common finish for this model. According to the Blue Book, value would be around $975 USD in Excellent Plus condition.

Gibson L6-S
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 10:42:59 PM »
Quote from: VintAxe;14536
Well, the 6 digit serial number indicates a guitar produced between 1970-75 so your memory is still holding strong. The dot inlay neck was produced between 1975-80 so I'm thinking you guitar was made in 1975.

The early pups were 5-sided humbuckers (1973-75) and the later pups were covered standard pups (1975-80) so the pups also suggest a date of 1975.

Your guitar is finished in Natural Maple which was the most common finish for this model. According to the Blue Book, value would be around $975 USD in Excellent Plus condition.

Thanks Vint... 75 sounds about right... I never did a thing to this except change strings... Still plays fine... I prefer a thicker neck but lately I've been using it for slide...I have no intention of selling it...I'm one of those 'guys' that can't let go of my instruments... Although I did sell a 75 Strat I had once... and I was also liberated of my 59 Tele some years ago... But I've hung onto everything else...
Thanks again...
Billy

jules

• View Profile
Gibson L-6S Custom
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 10:46:46 PM »
I'm a big fan of the L-6S Custom too - mine plays beautifully

Gibson L6S Custom
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 04:48:16 PM »
I played one of the brand new L6S Gibsons back in 74 when I was a poor student - didn't get to own one until a few years ago when I found one at Guitar Center and had it imported to the UK. I think that the yellow,aged finish  looks better now than they did when new. The new ones looked very light and almost unfinished. Sounds from those hot humbuckers are really versatile with tele and strat sounds and when on the 'les paul' setting really wail through my boogie lonestar special. Definitely underrated.

Gibson L6-S
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 04:58:51 PM »
Quote from: Guitarman@guitarsofheroes;14762
I played one of the brand new L6S Gibsons back in 74 when I was a poor student - didn't get to own one until a few years ago when I found one at Guitar Center and had it imported to the UK. I think that the yellow,aged finish  looks better now than they did when new. The new ones looked very light and almost unfinished. Sounds from those hot humbuckers are really versatile with tele and strat sounds and when on the 'les paul' setting really wail through my boogie lonestar special. Definitely underrated.

Can I ask how much you paid for it and what kind of condition it's in?

jules

• View Profile
Gibson L6S controls
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 04:12:10 PM »
I think that the yellow,aged finish looks better now than they did when new. The new ones looked very light and almost unfinished.

Thats an interesting point - there are some really yellowed ones around. I think you're right about these being underated.

and when on the 'les paul' setting really wail

lol! what's the Les Paul setting again? :?

The one thing I don't find that easy is remembering what position I want. The varitone isn't intuitive - and it isn't easy to remember which knob is which either. Still I wouldn't trade mine in in a hurry, purely because it plays so well, and always sounds great.

Gibson L6-S
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 07:23:43 AM »
whats a 5 sided humbucker? i have a cherry sunburst l6 s with an ebony fretboard which seems to be quite original and not used too much. as far as dating it i've only gotten as far as seeing in the vintage gibson pages where they state the sales figures for the l6 s that there were only 16 cherry sunbursts produced during the entire production run and all of them in 1975. not sure if that is true or not. either way i'm wondering if mine has the real deal bill lawrence super humbuckers or not. and were those also in the deluxe version from 1975? or are those just regular gibson LP style humbuckers?

this guitar is incredibly easy to play. i have a 1976 SG standard and i thought that it played itself basically but after playing the l6 s i was really surprised. even more like butter. and the versatility is really amazing. i don't know if it really sounds like a fender in some settings, like an SG or LP in others but it can go from twangy, bluesy to real heavy punk rock like zeke with a turn of that chicken beak. i love it. now i'm getting kinda paranoid to play it out because i don't want anything to happen to it.

anyway, any help in terms of explanation, illumination and teachings is greatly appreciated!

jules

• View Profile
Gibson L6S
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 05:23:02 PM »
Quote from: deanager;14860
whats a 5 sided humbucker?

Well, they are not actually 5 sided... it's the pickup surround on the L6-S deluxe that is five sided - have a look at this 1976 L6S deluxe

Quote from: deanager;14860
i have a cherry sunburst l6 s with an ebony fretboard which seems to be quite original and not used too much. as far as dating it i've only gotten as far as seeing in the vintage gibson pages where they state the sales figures for the l6 s that there were only 16 cherry sunbursts produced during the entire production run and all of them in 1975. not sure if that is true or not.

Sound really nice. You can't trust those shipping figures 100% (especially with respect to finishes) - there are quite a few known errors, or years when they didn't bother separating the colours in the totals. But they do give approximate numbers. Certainly the Cherry Sunburst finishes are on the earlier instruments. I think they look great in that colour.

Is there a serial number? pot codes? they can help a little, but often with early-mid seventies Gibsons, you can only narrow it down to within a year or two.

Would you show us some pictures? Sounds like a very nice guitar.

Gibson L6-S
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 05:14:45 AM »
i'll put up some pics sometime this week. i also just aquired another l6-s but its a franken l6. it got totally modified, it has EMG's in it and the wiring is definitely NOT original. it does sound kinda cool though. and, off course, it plays like butter. somebody put a really cheap aftermarket binding on the neck and also painted it matt black. they must've been kids or high or both because it's really amateurish. i am thinking about changing the 3 way switch back to the chickenhead 6 way and get SF guitarworks to reconstruct the wiring.
here is the big question. i see that there is some guy on ebay who's selling original pick ups ofrom a 75 deluxe. those would be the ominous "5 sided humbuckers" with the plastic cover. are those the same as superhumbuckers or are they regular gibson humbuckers? and furthermore about potentiometers, the schematic says there are 2 250's and one 300 in there, what if i put 3 300's or how about 3 500's? i don't know the difference at all if there is one.

thanks for the follow-up anyway, i really appreciate it. i just want to say i love being able to talk about gear without feeling like a nerd or like i'm asking stupid questions. thanks again

Gibson L6-S
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 07:01:06 PM »
ok, haven't gotten around to taking pictures and uploading and all that jazz. too busy playing. i got the nuumbers tho.
serial # is 110451
there are two pots on which i could read the source code and that was 1377335  and
looks like it might be a 74

Gibson L6-S
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 08:02:13 PM »
Yeah, you might be right.
I haven't found an online source for 70's Gibson serial numbers that specifies year of production by serial number. Best I have is that 100000's were made between 1970-75 and we already knew that. I have several Gibson books, I'll check later to see if any of them have more specific serial number info.

According to the pot codes, the pots were made by Chicago Telephone Supply in the 35th week of 1973 and the first week of 1974. I know Gibson would buy pots in bulk but it is more likely that a 73 pot would show up in an instrument made in 74 than 75.

Gibson L6-S
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 09:54:32 PM »
Firstly i am ecstatic to find this  forum on the l 6  
being an accoustic player  for many years i aquired an l 6 s a few years ago after a friend passed away
i checked out the serial numbers  when i got it it seem to be a 1977 model as close as i could tell
there were som electronic  problems  since the original varietone was replaced (probably incorrectly) with a standard 3 position toggle  and the bridge pickup  with a dimarzio
originally a tobacco sunburst  with alot of cracks in the finish i decided to  restore it to the natural maple  finish which came out beautiful
but i am still vexed with the pick up selections which i think were wired incorrectly
i am looking for a 6 position varietone which was originally there
i am not able to locate the switch on  gibsons or allparts site
can anyone offer any help  there
this guitar  plays like butter and sounds great with  about 1 and a half pickups but i would love to  finish  the job and bring it back to original specs
any info would help[attach=config]1998[/attach][attach=config]1999[/attach]

Gibson L6-S
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 11:15:24 PM »
Quote from: jules;14769
Thats an interesting point - there are some really yellowed ones around. I think you're right about these being underated.

lol! what's the Les Paul setting again? :?

The one thing I don't find that easy is remembering what position I want. The varitone isn't intuitive - and it isn't easy to remember which knob is which either. Still I wouldn't trade mine in in a hurry, purely because it plays so well, and always sounds great.

I remember reading that Bill Lawrence wanted to label the varitone Les Paul, Strat, Tele but was prevented by Gibson legal dept. It may be a bit of a stretch but starting fully anti clockwise you start with the 2 Les Paul-ish settings, 2 Strat (in/out of phase), 2 twangy/treble Tele settings.  NB sorry about the delayed response !!  Life takes it's toll sometimes.

Recent posts on vintage guitar and bass

1970 Rosetti Epiphone guitar catalogScan of 1970 Epiphone guitar catalogue produced by Rosetti for the UK market. Undated but most likely from mid-late 1970, this was the first UK catalogue to show the new range of Japanese (Matsumoku) Epiphone guitars. Interestingly, these pages show the Epiphone solid bodies with a single-sided Fender-style headstock layout - a feature quickly replaced with a typical two-sided Epiphone headstock almost immediately. Epiphone electric guitars: 9520, 9525; bass guitars: 9521, 9526; acoustic guitars: 6730, 6830, 6834
1971 A World of Guitars by Rosetti catalogueScan of 1971 Rosetti catalogue (UK) featuring guitars from from numerous manufacturers worldwide: guitars by Epiphone, Hagstrom, Levin, Hoyer, Egmond, Eros, Moridaira, Kiso-Suzuki, Schaller, and Tatra.
1971 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1971 Selmer guitar catalogue showing the range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Gibson, Yamaha, Selmer, Hofner and Suzuki. 1960s Selmer had always placed Hofner at the front end of their catalogues, no doubt these were the better sellers - but into the 1970s Hofner were slipping somewhat and only appear at the tail end of this publication, pride of place going to Gibson, and to a lesser extent Yamaha. In fact this is the last Selmer catalogue to include the many Hofner hollow bodies (Committee, President, Senator etc) that had defined the companies output for so many years - to be replaced in the 1972 catalogue by generic solid body 'copies' of Gibson and Fender models. A number of new Gibson models are included for the first time: the SG-100 and SG-200 six string guitars and the SB-300 and SB-400 basses.
1968 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1968/1969 Selmer guitar catalogue (printed July 1968), showing the entire range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Hofner, Gibson, Selmer and Giannini. Selmer were the exclusive United Kingdom distributors of Hofner and Gibson at the time, and this catalogue contains a total of 18 electric guitars, 7 bass guitars, 37 acoustics, and 2 Hawaiian guitars - all produced outside the UK and imported by Selmer, with UK prices included in guineas. This catalogue saw the (re-)introduction of the late sixties Gibson Les Paul Custom and Les Paul Standard (see page 69) and the short-lived Hofner Club 70. Other electric models include: HOFNER ELECTRICS: Committee, Verithin 66, Ambassador, President, Senator, Galaxie, HOFNER BASSES: Violin bass, Verithin bass, Senator bass, Professional bass GIBSON ELECTRICS: Barney Kessel, ES-330TD, ES-335TD, ES-345TD, ES-175D, ES-125CD, SG Standard, SG Junior, SG Special GIBSON BASSES: EB-0, EB-2, EB-3 - plus a LOT of acoustics branded Gibson, Hofner, Selmer and Giannini
1961 Hofner Colorama IHofner Colorama was the name UK distributor Selmer gave to a series of solid and semi-solid guitars built by Hofner for distribution in the UK. The construction and specifications of the guitars varied over the period of production, but by 1961 it was a totally solid, double cutaway instrument, with a set neck, translucent cherry finish, six-in-a-row headstock, and Hofner Diamond logo pickups. Available as a single or dual pickup guitar, this sngle pickup version would have been sold in mainland Europe as the Hofner 161.
1971 Commodore N25 (Matsumoku)Commodore was a brand applied to a series of guitars produced in Japan at the well-respected Matsumoku plant from the late 1960s to the mid 1970s - and sold primarily (perhaps exclusively?) in the United Kingdom. The models bearing the Commodore name were all guitars available from different distributors with different branding. Although there may have been some minor changes in appointments (specifically headstock branding) most had the same basic bodies, hardware and construction. Equivalent models to the Commodore N25 (and this is by no means an exhaustive list) include the Aria 5102T, Conrad 5102T(?), Electra 2221, Lyle 5102T, Ventura V-1001, Univox Coily - and most famously the Epiphone 5102T / Epiphone EA-250.
1960 Hofner Colorama IIThe Hofner Colorama was the name given by Selmer to a series of solid (and semi-solid) body Hofner guitars distributed in the United Kingdom between 1958 and 1965. The Colorama name actually applied to some quite different guitars over the period, but in 1960 it was a very light, semi-solid, set necked guitar with one (Colorama I) or two (Colorama II, as seen here) Toaster pickups. Although an entry-level guitar, it was very well-built, and a fine playing guitar; certainly a step up (at least in terms of craftsmanship) from many of the Colorama guitars that would follow, and a good deal of the guitars available in Britain circa 1960.
1971 Epiphone 1820 (ET-280) bassBy the end of the 1960s, a decision had been made to move Epiphone guitar production from the USA (at the Kalamazoo plant where Gibson guitars were made), to Matsumoto in Japan, creating a line of guitars and basses significantly less expensive than the USA-built models (actually less than half the price). The Matsumoku factory had been producing guitars for export for some time, but the 1820 bass (alongside a number of guitar models and the 5120 electric acoustic bass) were the first Epiphone models to be made there. These new Epiphones were based on existing Matsumoku guitars, sharing body shapes, and hardware, but the Epiphone line was somewhat upgraded, with inlaid logos and a 2x2 peghead configuration. Over the course of the 70s, the Japanese output improved dramatically, and in many ways these early 70s models are a low point for the brand. Having said this, there are a lot worse guitars out there, and as well as being historically important, the 1820 bass can certainly provide the goods when required.
1981 Gibson MarauderProduction of Bill Lawrence's Gibson Marauder began in 1974, with production peaking in 1978. But by 1980 the model was officially discontinued, though very small numbers slipped out as late as spring 1981. Over 7000 examples shipped between 1974 and 1979, and although no totals are available for 1980 and 1981, it is unlikely production reached three figures in either of these years. These final Marauders were all assembled at the Gibson Nashville plant, and had some nice features not available through the later years of production, such as a rosewood fretboard, and in this case, an opaque 'Devil Red' finish. It's a great looking and fine playing guitar!