Vintage Guitar and Bass forum

'67 Country Gent

'67 Country Gent
« on: April 10, 2010, 08:48:55 PM »
Hey folks,

Im selling my '67 original country gent & case.  Really struggling to find a buyer which Im surprised at.  Had a few bits of interest locally but no actual buyer.

Firstly, Anyone interested?  
Secondly, Any suggestion with where to sell this? - really dont want to use ebay as it costs a hefty whack and I find it doesnt work too well for these types of items anyways.

Its an absolutely awesome guitar.  100% original.  had neck damage but repaired superbly 3 years ago.  Original binding fully intact.  Case is in excellent condition aswell.

Im fairly familiar with gretsch price range and related info.  Ive listed it for £2,500 on the 'ebay listing' part of the forum.

sorry if this is shameless plugging of my advert but curious to know expert opinions on value and possible locations to sell.

cheers

Andy (new forum type person)

MGEEK

• View Profile
'67 Country Gent
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 09:56:24 PM »
It's difficult really...if you were a bit closer to London, I'd suggest sticking it in one of the shops on Denmark street on consignment

Is £2500 about the going rate? That's a pretty big spend for a lot of people 'at the moment', and it's quite a 'niche' guitar when most of the world is so obsessed with bloomin' Fenders and Gibsons,  so I can fully understand it taking a while to find a buyer.

Have you listed it on preloved and gumtree?

jules

• View Profile
Gretsch
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 12:56:59 PM »
Quote from: andymac;13539
sorry if this is shameless plugging of my advert but curious to know expert opinions on value and possible locations to sell.

Hi Andy,

I fully approve of shameless plugging in this forum - just as long as you are providing images to keep us entertained and informed - and you have done. Although the ebay section is for ebay adds. Other adverts should go in the free vintage guitar classifieds section

As Mgeek says... this is not necessarily going to sell quickly, because there are only so many people with thousands of pounds just sitting there.

And is that really the going rate for a private sale? I'd say it was a little ambitious, especially with the headstock damage. But I haven't been slavishly studying Country Gent prices. I notice there is an unbroken '64 not selling on ebay for £2700.....

I have noticed some dealers having problems selling Gretsches recently though.... maybe because people who want them, often already have them. Maybe they are just not as in vogue amongst players as they once were. I hear more about people trying to sell old Gretsches than to buy. Were they overvalued a few years back? Is it just a temporary thing?

If it were mine I'd take a LOT more photos. Get a free photo hosting account and fill it with 50 high resolution images. Photo absolutely every inch of it, and leave NOTHING to question. Then advertise it everywhere... this (and other) forums, gumtree, vintage guitar classifieds, etc. And wait.

Good luck, it is a nice guitar, and I hope you find it a good new home

eb2

• View Profile
'67 Country Gent
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 05:06:34 AM »
I always get confused with the shillings and pounds, but that seems hefty.  But maybe a few years ago it would have gone like a hot potato.  Jules hits it on the head though: if you really wanted one of these you probably have one.  And the vintage market is taking some serious hits now. The guitars that were secondary - not Strats, Teles, or Les Paul - have been plummeting to earth over the last couple of years, and more quickly of late.  Even things like 50s LP Specials and Jrs are way down and not moving.  A 60's Country Gent will probably always be in demand, but it spent the majority of the early vintage craze as a value-less guitar.  So when so many old Strats, etc are getting on the market by their over-leveraged owners, the secondary guitars go wanting, and a broken headstock is a major downer these days.

My local vintage dealer has turned into a bit of a ghost town, and the attention I got there a couple of weeks ago was astounding.  A few years back you had to have the Ben Franklins stuck to your forehead or they wouldn't even look at you.  Now they are running around waiting on me like Geisha girls!  And stuff is sitting around.  They are cutting deals.  Times are tough all over.
boom

'67 Country Gent
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 07:55:03 AM »
Same over here in the UK eb2; all but the most desirable have dropped by 30-50% in price.
However Rickys seem to be going up for some strange reason; obviously got more popular.
Certainly not the time to sell unless you're very hard up for money. :frown:
Mike.
Retired Radio and Electronics Engineer residing in Cambridgeshire.

'67 Country Gent
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 01:48:01 PM »
That's a nice guitar. Myself I would have had the back of the neck refinished so the break in the neck becomes a non issue. I know that is a huge no no mentioning the refinishing word in the vintage world. Maybe just a touch up :-D. I think this obsession with leaving these vintage guitars with all the scars and crack-a-lacquer is stupid. Like a rusty vintage car being worth more than a restored car it's nonsense.

But hey it's like a very successful friend of mine says " give them what they want not what they need, we know what they need, it's not what they want".

'67 Country Gent
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 04:57:43 PM »
It's like all antiques; including vintage guitars; people just like them as original as possible. Try selling a 19th century bronze statue that's just been cleaned with metal polish; you wouldn't even get a bid.

I always used to do what I called sympathetic restoration on old guitars; just enough to clean them up and make them presentable; that increased the value over a mucky, dusty guitar straight from the loft.

I personally like to see the odd dig on a sixties guitar; it's part of it's character, although others may like to see it as a brand new one.

Mike.

'67 Country Gent
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 10:55:24 PM »
Quote from: Repairman77;13852
It's like all antiques; including vintage guitars; people just like them as original as possible. Try selling a 19th century bronze statue that's just been cleaned with metal polish; you wouldn't even get a bid.

I always used to do what I called sympathetic restoration on old guitars; just enough to clean them up and make them presentable; that increased the value over a mucky, dusty guitar straight from the loft.

I personally like to see the odd dig on a sixties guitar; it's part of it's character, although others may like to see it as a brand new one.

Mike.

Mike your right but it makes no sense to me. My Step Mother collected antiques and I remember her buying refinishing paint that gave it the antique look. I think it looked terrible and could not figure why anyone would want that. Each to there own I suppose. I know everytime I open my guitar case and see my refinished EBO it brings joy. Even the frets sparkle.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 10:57:36 PM by vortilon »

'67 Country Gent
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 09:01:45 AM »
Even the frets sparkle.

Yes I always do the frets; I have a small brass plate with a slot cut out that fits over the fret and I polish it with 0000 grade steel wool. Stops accidentally marking the fretboard. Don't try this on Rickys though as some have lacquered frets as well as the fretboard. ;-)

I think the type of restoration depends on whether you are restoring to play or restoring to sell on as a collector's item. In the latter case sympathetic restoration is the best way to go to maintain it's value.

Mike..

Recent posts on vintage guitar and bass

1970 Rosetti Epiphone guitar catalogScan of 1970 Epiphone guitar catalogue produced by Rosetti for the UK market. Undated but most likely from mid-late 1970, this was the first UK catalogue to show the new range of Japanese (Matsumoku) Epiphone guitars. Interestingly, these pages show the Epiphone solid bodies with a single-sided Fender-style headstock layout - a feature quickly replaced with a typical two-sided Epiphone headstock almost immediately. Epiphone electric guitars: 9520, 9525; bass guitars: 9521, 9526; acoustic guitars: 6730, 6830, 6834
1971 A World of Guitars by Rosetti catalogueScan of 1971 Rosetti catalogue (UK) featuring guitars from from numerous manufacturers worldwide: guitars by Epiphone, Hagstrom, Levin, Hoyer, Egmond, Eros, Moridaira, Kiso-Suzuki, Schaller, and Tatra.
1971 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1971 Selmer guitar catalogue showing the range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Gibson, Yamaha, Selmer, Hofner and Suzuki. 1960s Selmer had always placed Hofner at the front end of their catalogues, no doubt these were the better sellers - but into the 1970s Hofner were slipping somewhat and only appear at the tail end of this publication, pride of place going to Gibson, and to a lesser extent Yamaha. In fact this is the last Selmer catalogue to include the many Hofner hollow bodies (Committee, President, Senator etc) that had defined the companies output for so many years - to be replaced in the 1972 catalogue by generic solid body 'copies' of Gibson and Fender models. A number of new Gibson models are included for the first time: the SG-100 and SG-200 six string guitars and the SB-300 and SB-400 basses.
1968 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1968/1969 Selmer guitar catalogue (printed July 1968), showing the entire range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Hofner, Gibson, Selmer and Giannini. Selmer were the exclusive United Kingdom distributors of Hofner and Gibson at the time, and this catalogue contains a total of 18 electric guitars, 7 bass guitars, 37 acoustics, and 2 Hawaiian guitars - all produced outside the UK and imported by Selmer, with UK prices included in guineas. This catalogue saw the (re-)introduction of the late sixties Gibson Les Paul Custom and Les Paul Standard (see page 69) and the short-lived Hofner Club 70. Other electric models include: HOFNER ELECTRICS: Committee, Verithin 66, Ambassador, President, Senator, Galaxie, HOFNER BASSES: Violin bass, Verithin bass, Senator bass, Professional bass GIBSON ELECTRICS: Barney Kessel, ES-330TD, ES-335TD, ES-345TD, ES-175D, ES-125CD, SG Standard, SG Junior, SG Special GIBSON BASSES: EB-0, EB-2, EB-3 - plus a LOT of acoustics branded Gibson, Hofner, Selmer and Giannini
1961 Hofner Colorama IHofner Colorama was the name UK distributor Selmer gave to a series of solid and semi-solid guitars built by Hofner for distribution in the UK. The construction and specifications of the guitars varied over the period of production, but by 1961 it was a totally solid, double cutaway instrument, with a set neck, translucent cherry finish, six-in-a-row headstock, and Hofner Diamond logo pickups. Available as a single or dual pickup guitar, this sngle pickup version would have been sold in mainland Europe as the Hofner 161.
1971 Commodore N25 (Matsumoku)Commodore was a brand applied to a series of guitars produced in Japan at the well-respected Matsumoku plant from the late 1960s to the mid 1970s - and sold primarily (perhaps exclusively?) in the United Kingdom. The models bearing the Commodore name were all guitars available from different distributors with different branding. Although there may have been some minor changes in appointments (specifically headstock branding) most had the same basic bodies, hardware and construction. Equivalent models to the Commodore N25 (and this is by no means an exhaustive list) include the Aria 5102T, Conrad 5102T(?), Electra 2221, Lyle 5102T, Ventura V-1001, Univox Coily - and most famously the Epiphone 5102T / Epiphone EA-250.
1960 Hofner Colorama IIThe Hofner Colorama was the name given by Selmer to a series of solid (and semi-solid) body Hofner guitars distributed in the United Kingdom between 1958 and 1965. The Colorama name actually applied to some quite different guitars over the period, but in 1960 it was a very light, semi-solid, set necked guitar with one (Colorama I) or two (Colorama II, as seen here) Toaster pickups. Although an entry-level guitar, it was very well-built, and a fine playing guitar; certainly a step up (at least in terms of craftsmanship) from many of the Colorama guitars that would follow, and a good deal of the guitars available in Britain circa 1960.
1971 Epiphone 1820 (ET-280) bassBy the end of the 1960s, a decision had been made to move Epiphone guitar production from the USA (at the Kalamazoo plant where Gibson guitars were made), to Matsumoto in Japan, creating a line of guitars and basses significantly less expensive than the USA-built models (actually less than half the price). The Matsumoku factory had been producing guitars for export for some time, but the 1820 bass (alongside a number of guitar models and the 5120 electric acoustic bass) were the first Epiphone models to be made there. These new Epiphones were based on existing Matsumoku guitars, sharing body shapes, and hardware, but the Epiphone line was somewhat upgraded, with inlaid logos and a 2x2 peghead configuration. Over the course of the 70s, the Japanese output improved dramatically, and in many ways these early 70s models are a low point for the brand. Having said this, there are a lot worse guitars out there, and as well as being historically important, the 1820 bass can certainly provide the goods when required.
1981 Gibson MarauderProduction of Bill Lawrence's Gibson Marauder began in 1974, with production peaking in 1978. But by 1980 the model was officially discontinued, though very small numbers slipped out as late as spring 1981. Over 7000 examples shipped between 1974 and 1979, and although no totals are available for 1980 and 1981, it is unlikely production reached three figures in either of these years. These final Marauders were all assembled at the Gibson Nashville plant, and had some nice features not available through the later years of production, such as a rosewood fretboard, and in this case, an opaque 'Devil Red' finish. It's a great looking and fine playing guitar!