Vintage Guitar and Bass forum

Vox Symphonic bass

Vox Symphonic bass
« on: September 06, 2009, 04:43:23 PM »
Hello there,

A few  years ago I got an old Vox-bass, there´s a couple mark in a headstock like, "symphonic bass", and "JMI Dartford Ke"
 Must say it really is in a very good condition and sounds and plays well, so I´ve used it on my gigs sometimes.
 I already know something about the history of this fine instrument but would like to know more, like how rare it really is and what about a real value of this bass?

jules

• View Profile
Re: Symphonic bass
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 08:25:35 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for posting
Can you attach some pictures? This was Vox's Fender bass copy of the early sixties.. at least body shape wise. Very few come up compared to the other early sixties Vox basses - the bassmaster and clubman bass.

You may well find a date stamp on the neck where it meets the body (you'll have to take the neck off)

"JMI Dartford Ke" would actually have been "JMI Dartford Kent"

Value wise- that is hard. I can't recall seeing one up for sale. It isn't really a players bass, but if it is in good complete condition a Vox collector may be willing to pay well. I'd estimate anywhere between £xx for a beater up to mid £xxx for something approaching a mint bass.

Re: Vox Symphonic bass
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 06:07:54 PM »
Hi Jules,

Sure I´ll arrange some pics possibly soon.

vox symphonic
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 09:36:29 PM »
Quote from: mibass;11268
Hello there,

A few  years ago I got an old Vox-bass, there´s a couple mark in a headstock like, "symphonic bass", and "JMI Dartford Ke"
 Must say it really is in a very good condition and sounds and plays well, so I´ve used it on my gigs sometimes.
 I already know something about the history of this fine instrument but would like to know more, like how rare it really is and what about a real value of this bass?

Hi
Interested to read your article about vox symphonic bass. I bought a 1965 left hand model  in 1969 for £30 from a s/h shop in London in mint condition it was sunburst and I have used it ever since in rock bands,showbands and jazz bands . However I have sadly customised it by burning off all the laquer (it was about 16th of an inch thick in laquer) and I re-shaped the head to resemble a precision bass (I have also owned a precision bass incidentally) so that  it would fit in a guitar case to take it on tour. I have  put wire wound rota sound strings as well as pyramid gold flat wound strings on this guitar and the sound is incredible . I have used it with fender amps wah wah and fuzz boxes and a sterio splitter using two amps one each side of the stage. I believe that only a handful of left handed models were produced and I doubt if this one has any real value now but I find that using it in a swing band or big band produces and almost string bass like sound and it just sings. I have dismantled this guitar to pack it in a suitcase many times and indeed it is dated stamped on the inside kneck as 1965 .I am now 62 but this bass had been in use for 45 years. It was one alloy control knob missing but still holds its tuning well.

Vox Symphonic bass
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 09:59:03 PM »
hi everyone there. I´m from spain and i also have a vox symphonic bass made 02/11/1965 and its serial number is 69583. I´ll try to post some photos. used to be sunburst.

mrbass

• View Profile
symphonic bass pictures
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 10:07:19 PM »
Yes, please do post pics. Can't say i've seen one in sunburst

Ricky

Vox Symphonic bass
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 06:15:08 PM »
Hi There         I too have a Vox Symphonic bass which I bought for £20 in a boot fair in the mid 1990's!!!!   I love this bass although I am more of a 6 string player. It's pure F Precision style but with the Vox headstock.  The body is a beautiful orangey red ( vermillion ? ) lacquer with a black pickguard. The pickups are 2 x full width and have black covers and are adjustable. The bridge cover is chromed with a stylized ' V '. There are a few dings on the body but nothing serious. The neck appears to be varnished maple with a rosewood fingerboard and there is a truss rod.  I've read that Symphonics don't have a truss rod but it's definitely there !! The machines are traditional Fenders. All the electrics are good. The headstock transfer is all there - VOX Syphonic bass - JMI Dartford Kent.  The serial number is pretty much unreadable but I think it might be 43100.   Being a guitar lover I knew this was a bit special when I saw it. I couldnt believe the price - snapped it up straight away !!!   I took my Symphonic to a guitar dealer / repairer a few years ago to get it set up and to get the action down , only to be told that its a ' bitzer ' - No Way   Any idea of the date guys ?   I've always thought around 1962 from the info on the web. !!!!

jules

• View Profile
Vox Symphonic bass
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 06:29:15 PM »
Quote from: whiteowl;16247
Hi There I too have a Vox Symphonic bass

Can you post pictures at all. Would certainly love to see it!

Vox Symphonic bass
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 12:30:40 PM »
Yup   I'll take some pics and see if I can post them on the thread. Cheers

Vox Symphonic Bass
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 09:22:55 PM »
Hi, I am new to this forum. I have a Vox Symphonic bass that has a strange story to it. Back in the mid to late 60's when Vox were having some problems a local timber type warehouse had thousands of Vox bodies and necks that were sold for 5 shilling each, thats 25 pence in new money. I went to look and came away with quite a few which I then made up into complete guitars. Some of the bodies were finished and some just bare wood. I also found a shop in Bristol (UK) that had supplies of most of the other bits, all Vox. Again I got quite a few bits, pickups, machine heads, bridges, Bigsby style tremelos etc.
I still have the symphonic bass that I assembled, Body, neck ( Feb 1966 printed on the back of it and a "C" ), Pickup, machine heads, and controls all original old Vox. I had to make a scratchplate myself and also a tailpiece, bridge and topnut.
Body was unfinished so had a purple semi clear varnish applied. 30 years later, and after 10 years gigging with it it has been refinished in red. I would be really interested in seeing a picture of the headstock logo that was on these basses if anyone has one.
Also I have a Teardrop that has the same story and a Vox V251 Guitar organ but I couldn't get a neck for. I made one from a dark hardwood but no trussrod. Ok with light strings and all works fine.

jules

• View Profile
Vox basses
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 11:55:24 PM »
Wow great story. I'd love to have had that opportunity. Do you have any pictures of these guitars you made up?

MGEEK

• View Profile
Vox Symphonic bass
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 10:40:10 PM »
Interesting story- I've got a weird Vox Shadow sort of guitar that is made from original parts, but has a reject looking 'super ace' type trem...always wondered what the story was, because it feels like a halfway house between 'vox product' and home made job.

If parts were being knocked out on the cheap back in the day, it'd certainly go some way to explaining it!

Vox Symphonic Bass
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 05:57:38 PM »
Have tried to upload image but not sure if ok. If not will try again. Please bear with me.
I made the tailpiece / bridge and pickup cover out of stainless steel and gigged with the bass for about 6 years until I got a ricky 4001.

In response to MGEEK, I am certain the "Vox" parts were genuine and just sold cheaply as bankrupt stock. There were literally many thousands of bodies and necks just in a massive pile on the floor of a warehouse.
If image ok I will put a couple more pictures of the other guitars
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 08:31:37 PM by 60ishPaul »

vox symphonic
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 03:25:59 PM »
[QUOTE=60ishPaul;16449]Hi, I am new to this forum. I have a Vox Symphonic bass that has a strange story to it. Back in the mid to late 60's when Vox were having some problems a local timber type warehouse had thousands of Vox bodies and necks that were sold for 5 shilling each, thats 25 pence in new money. I went to look and came away with quite a few which I then made up into complete guitars. Some of the bodies were finished and some just bare wood. I also found a shop in Bristol (UK) that had supplies of most of the other bits, all Vox. Again I got quite a few bits, pickups, machine heads, bridges, Bigsby style tremelos etc.
I still have the symphonic bass that I assembled, Body, neck ( Feb 1966 printed on the back of it and a "C" ), Pickup, machine heads, and controls all original old Vox. I had to make a scratchplate myself and also a tailpiece, bridge and topnut.
Body was unfinished so had a purple semi clear varnish applied. 30 years later, and after 10 years gigging with it it has been refinished in red. I would be really interested in seeing a picture of the headstock logo that was on these basses if anyone has one.
and all works fine.[/QUOTE]

Hi, Do you still have the Vox Symphonic?

Symphonic Bass
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 06:07:39 PM »
Quote from: 60ishPaul;16449
Hi, I am new to this forum. I have a Vox Symphonic bass that has a strange story to it. Back in the mid to late 60's when Vox were having some problems a local timber type warehouse had thousands of Vox bodies and necks that were sold for 5 shilling each, thats 25 pence in new money. I went to look and came away with quite a few which I then made up into complete guitars. Some of the bodies were finished and some just bare wood. I also found a shop in Bristol (UK) that had supplies of most of the other bits, all Vox. Again I got quite a few bits, pickups, machine heads, bridges, Bigsby style tremelos etc.
Also I have a Teardrop that has the same story and a Vox V251 Guitar organ but I couldn't get a neck for. I made one from a dark hardwood but no trussrod. Ok with light strings and all works fine.

Yes I still have the 3 Vox guitars and still play it occasionally.

Recent posts on vintage guitar and bass

1970 Rosetti Epiphone guitar catalogScan of 1970 Epiphone guitar catalogue produced by Rosetti for the UK market. Undated but most likely from mid-late 1970, this was the first UK catalogue to show the new range of Japanese (Matsumoku) Epiphone guitars. Interestingly, these pages show the Epiphone solid bodies with a single-sided Fender-style headstock layout - a feature quickly replaced with a typical two-sided Epiphone headstock almost immediately. Epiphone electric guitars: 9520, 9525; bass guitars: 9521, 9526; acoustic guitars: 6730, 6830, 6834
1971 A World of Guitars by Rosetti catalogueScan of 1971 Rosetti catalogue (UK) featuring guitars from from numerous manufacturers worldwide: guitars by Epiphone, Hagstrom, Levin, Hoyer, Egmond, Eros, Moridaira, Kiso-Suzuki, Schaller, and Tatra.
1971 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1971 Selmer guitar catalogue showing the range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Gibson, Yamaha, Selmer, Hofner and Suzuki. 1960s Selmer had always placed Hofner at the front end of their catalogues, no doubt these were the better sellers - but into the 1970s Hofner were slipping somewhat and only appear at the tail end of this publication, pride of place going to Gibson, and to a lesser extent Yamaha. In fact this is the last Selmer catalogue to include the many Hofner hollow bodies (Committee, President, Senator etc) that had defined the companies output for so many years - to be replaced in the 1972 catalogue by generic solid body 'copies' of Gibson and Fender models. A number of new Gibson models are included for the first time: the SG-100 and SG-200 six string guitars and the SB-300 and SB-400 basses.
1968 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1968/1969 Selmer guitar catalogue (printed July 1968), showing the entire range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Hofner, Gibson, Selmer and Giannini. Selmer were the exclusive United Kingdom distributors of Hofner and Gibson at the time, and this catalogue contains a total of 18 electric guitars, 7 bass guitars, 37 acoustics, and 2 Hawaiian guitars - all produced outside the UK and imported by Selmer, with UK prices included in guineas. This catalogue saw the (re-)introduction of the late sixties Gibson Les Paul Custom and Les Paul Standard (see page 69) and the short-lived Hofner Club 70. Other electric models include: HOFNER ELECTRICS: Committee, Verithin 66, Ambassador, President, Senator, Galaxie, HOFNER BASSES: Violin bass, Verithin bass, Senator bass, Professional bass GIBSON ELECTRICS: Barney Kessel, ES-330TD, ES-335TD, ES-345TD, ES-175D, ES-125CD, SG Standard, SG Junior, SG Special GIBSON BASSES: EB-0, EB-2, EB-3 - plus a LOT of acoustics branded Gibson, Hofner, Selmer and Giannini
1961 Hofner Colorama IHofner Colorama was the name UK distributor Selmer gave to a series of solid and semi-solid guitars built by Hofner for distribution in the UK. The construction and specifications of the guitars varied over the period of production, but by 1961 it was a totally solid, double cutaway instrument, with a set neck, translucent cherry finish, six-in-a-row headstock, and Hofner Diamond logo pickups. Available as a single or dual pickup guitar, this sngle pickup version would have been sold in mainland Europe as the Hofner 161.
1971 Commodore N25 (Matsumoku)Commodore was a brand applied to a series of guitars produced in Japan at the well-respected Matsumoku plant from the late 1960s to the mid 1970s - and sold primarily (perhaps exclusively?) in the United Kingdom. The models bearing the Commodore name were all guitars available from different distributors with different branding. Although there may have been some minor changes in appointments (specifically headstock branding) most had the same basic bodies, hardware and construction. Equivalent models to the Commodore N25 (and this is by no means an exhaustive list) include the Aria 5102T, Conrad 5102T(?), Electra 2221, Lyle 5102T, Ventura V-1001, Univox Coily - and most famously the Epiphone 5102T / Epiphone EA-250.
1960 Hofner Colorama IIThe Hofner Colorama was the name given by Selmer to a series of solid (and semi-solid) body Hofner guitars distributed in the United Kingdom between 1958 and 1965. The Colorama name actually applied to some quite different guitars over the period, but in 1960 it was a very light, semi-solid, set necked guitar with one (Colorama I) or two (Colorama II, as seen here) Toaster pickups. Although an entry-level guitar, it was very well-built, and a fine playing guitar; certainly a step up (at least in terms of craftsmanship) from many of the Colorama guitars that would follow, and a good deal of the guitars available in Britain circa 1960.
1971 Epiphone 1820 (ET-280) bassBy the end of the 1960s, a decision had been made to move Epiphone guitar production from the USA (at the Kalamazoo plant where Gibson guitars were made), to Matsumoto in Japan, creating a line of guitars and basses significantly less expensive than the USA-built models (actually less than half the price). The Matsumoku factory had been producing guitars for export for some time, but the 1820 bass (alongside a number of guitar models and the 5120 electric acoustic bass) were the first Epiphone models to be made there. These new Epiphones were based on existing Matsumoku guitars, sharing body shapes, and hardware, but the Epiphone line was somewhat upgraded, with inlaid logos and a 2x2 peghead configuration. Over the course of the 70s, the Japanese output improved dramatically, and in many ways these early 70s models are a low point for the brand. Having said this, there are a lot worse guitars out there, and as well as being historically important, the 1820 bass can certainly provide the goods when required.
1981 Gibson MarauderProduction of Bill Lawrence's Gibson Marauder began in 1974, with production peaking in 1978. But by 1980 the model was officially discontinued, though very small numbers slipped out as late as spring 1981. Over 7000 examples shipped between 1974 and 1979, and although no totals are available for 1980 and 1981, it is unlikely production reached three figures in either of these years. These final Marauders were all assembled at the Gibson Nashville plant, and had some nice features not available through the later years of production, such as a rosewood fretboard, and in this case, an opaque 'Devil Red' finish. It's a great looking and fine playing guitar!