Vintage Guitar and Bass forum

Eb0 wiring

Eb0 wiring
« on: January 29, 2008, 10:17:48 AM »
Hi guys,
Has anybody got pics of an Eb0 wiring? I've seen the one of the '62 Eb0 on Gibsonbass (which are pretty clear) but would like some other shots to see where the wires are connected to the pots.
Cheers

jules

• View Profile
diagram
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 03:57:29 PM »
Its probably best demonstrated with a diagram, rather than photos. I'll try and make something up for you later tonight

Jules

Eb0 wiring
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 08:03:30 AM »
Thank you very much, i'll appreciate that.

jules

• View Profile
1960s EB0 wiring loom
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 10:54:50 PM »
Here are a couple diagrams I made to show the wiring, taken from my '62 EB0, '64 EB0, (top)  and '65 EB0, '66 Kalamazoo KB bass, '67 melody maker bass.

These are both effectively the same circuit, despite the wiring of the .01 capacitor. Hope this helps.

Eb0 wiring
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 07:59:31 AM »
Wow Jules, that is beautiful. Couldn't be clearer, thank you so much, i owe you one for that.
The wiring in the first diagram (the same as seen on the '62 on your site) made me crazy, but now i got it.
Cheers

ezra1

• View Profile
Eb0 wiring
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 10:42:27 AM »
schematics are great,but your layout drawings are fantastic.good job !

Eb0 wiring
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 06:32:36 AM »
ok, so this is actually the thread that got me to join the forum. i need help/advice on rewiring an ebo. a quick synopsis to make things clear. like you all, I LOVE the 60's eb0 sound, played one and was instantly addicted. awhile back i got my hands on a 70's eb0 humbucker. i am currently trying to install it into a korean made epiphone eb0 from 99. as it goes right now. i just switched out the pups and soldered it into place with the epiphone circuitry still intact... as you could imagine, it did not have the 60's eb0 sound. the bass was quiet and the tone knob control was inactive. i think i have a pretty clear idea of how to replicate the wiring shown on the diagram, but my biggest question is. where does the coaxial cables ground connect onto the humbucker. i am assuming at the base of the pup(from pictures i have seen). but would like to understand the nature of how this pup was grounded. also since my PUP was a 70s i had to detach the wing tip plate to fit it to the bass i am using. someone please explain how the ground and hot wires work on this pup. also i will post pictures if needed. its a beautiful pickup and i would love to hear that wondrous ringing tone of an eb0.

jules

• View Profile
Gibson EB humbucker wiring
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 12:12:26 PM »
If I understand your question, you want to know what happens at the pickup end? Well the outer metal covering is soldered to the pickup casing somewhere on the underside, and the internal wire goes to the pickup coil.

Does this picture help any (from a 1969 Gibson EB3)

Or have I misunderstood?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2251[/ATTACH]

Eb0 wiring
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 08:11:10 PM »
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2252[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2253[/ATTACH]

ok so the pickup i have doesn't look exactly like that. you did answer my question, just i think i need a solution to what i have available. the way i received the pup, was it had that wire(in the picture) soldered to a coaxial wire. and the shield of the coaxial wire was soldered to the wings(which i removed). if i want to complete the circuit that you have posted in this thread what am i to do. the understanding i currently have is that the base of the pickup is grounded through the shield of the coaxial wiring and the lead connection is the inside of the coaxial which i connect to the wire i have on the pickup.

jules

• View Profile
Eb0 wiring
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 10:35:25 PM »
Yes, that's right. You just need to get some of that braided wire like this

Then solder your black piece to the core, and the outer braiding to the bottom of the pickup.

Should be a pretty simple 2 minute job.

Can I ask, did the pickup fit in the route exactly, or did you have to adjust it any?

Eb0 wiring
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 06:53:01 PM »
actually yeah it fit pretty well. cause i've never opened up a REAL eb0 i wouldnt know the difference in sizing. but the eb0 pickup and the epiphone "sidewinder"(i assume they call it) PUP is generally the same size. but because i had the 70s pup baseplate i had to remove that to fit it. the thing that i wonder, is how much of the actual eb0 tone do you think ill be able to achieve with an epi body. the epi plays great believe it or not. (i like most this epiphone and older pieces i have an epiphone et280 and i swear by that bass). the one i am using for this project is a 1999 korean made epiphone sg bass. the wiring and capacitors come in friday. if you think i should get new pots or a specific type of capacitor besides generic .01uf .0033uf. tell me, i am unsure if there is a difference or not. also cause im new to this i was wondering. does the voltage on the capacitor ever interchange between i guess the type e.g. a .0033 could be 50v or a different .0033 could be 150v.

edit: to clarify the pots though, the epi came stock with two 500k.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 06:53:52 PM by et280 »

jules

• View Profile
Eb0 wiring
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 07:53:26 PM »
Quote from: et280;17454
the thing that i wonder, is how much of the actual eb0 tone do you think ill be able to achieve with an epi

Well the original pickups are very hot indeed - they are a very big part of the equation. The different body/neck woods and bolt-on neck with change sound somewhat, but it is still shortscale, with the same pickup position, so I think you'll be in the same ballpark.

You should definately be able to get that really fat sound with flatwounds, and played fingerstyle at the neck. But The EB-O is an aquired taste. You might prefer it with roundwounds, played at the bridge with a pick...

If I were tohazarda guess, I suspect it will sound quite like the Kalamazoo KB bass - same pickup and scale, fibre-board body bolted to a maple neck. (hear some clips here https://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/kalamazoo/bass/KB_soundclips.php though the amp colours the sound quite a lot on those)

As for other components, I doubt they would make a discernable difference to the human ear.

Please let us know how this turns out

Eb0 wiring
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 06:03:54 PM »
the kalamazoo bass sounds great, i hear some of that eb0 energy in there. components arrive friday. i will definitely have videos for all. that and ill record with my et280 as well which imo is a hugely underrated bass(just from what i've seen on talkbass google searches). i am loving that b15 amp btw... i want a good bass amp for inexpensive, is there a good thread for that topic?

Eb0 wiring
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 04:05:05 AM »
no luck... still have the same sound with the electronics that came stock with the epiphone. the bass is quiet and completely unfamiliar to the eb0 i played previously(that bass currently resides at ludlow guitars in manhattan). something in the electronics isn't correct on my bass. besides the bass being quiet and a really unconvincing eb0, the two pots i have act as master volumes. the second pot has no tone control whatsoever. the two knobs act exactly the same minus some scratching. heres a picture of the wiring job i did this evening.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2255[/ATTACH]

i have a couple hypotheses but id like to hear suggestions first. also here is youtube link of me playing the instrument and my et280 to perhaps give you a reference for volume.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1xtNcQ5KgQ&feature=plcp

Eb0 wiring
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 06:36:24 PM »
When you say you got your hands on a 70s EBO pickup, was it taken from a gibson EB0 or does it just look like one.
The reason I ask was sometime in the early 70s I bought what was supposed to be a new Gibson humbucker from Top Gear in London. (New in a box, but nothing to say Gibson). When I put it in my EB3 it in no way resembled the pickup that came out. This also had wings on with sprung screws into a baseplate. On measuring the resistance it was only about 1.2k ohms, (the Gibson being around 30k), it being a similar pickup to what Epiphone are using now.
Another thing to look at are the magnets, if someone has previously fiddled with it one could be the wrong way around. They need to be in the same orientation so the adjustable pole pieces become opposite.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 06:42:08 PM by Goingdownslow »
Pete

Recent posts on vintage guitar and bass

1970 Rosetti Epiphone guitar catalogScan of 1970 Epiphone guitar catalogue produced by Rosetti for the UK market. Undated but most likely from mid-late 1970, this was the first UK catalogue to show the new range of Japanese (Matsumoku) Epiphone guitars. Interestingly, these pages show the Epiphone solid bodies with a single-sided Fender-style headstock layout - a feature quickly replaced with a typical two-sided Epiphone headstock almost immediately. Epiphone electric guitars: 9520, 9525; bass guitars: 9521, 9526; acoustic guitars: 6730, 6830, 6834
1971 A World of Guitars by Rosetti catalogueScan of 1971 Rosetti catalogue (UK) featuring guitars from from numerous manufacturers worldwide: guitars by Epiphone, Hagstrom, Levin, Hoyer, Egmond, Eros, Moridaira, Kiso-Suzuki, Schaller, and Tatra.
1971 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1971 Selmer guitar catalogue showing the range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Gibson, Yamaha, Selmer, Hofner and Suzuki. 1960s Selmer had always placed Hofner at the front end of their catalogues, no doubt these were the better sellers - but into the 1970s Hofner were slipping somewhat and only appear at the tail end of this publication, pride of place going to Gibson, and to a lesser extent Yamaha. In fact this is the last Selmer catalogue to include the many Hofner hollow bodies (Committee, President, Senator etc) that had defined the companies output for so many years - to be replaced in the 1972 catalogue by generic solid body 'copies' of Gibson and Fender models. A number of new Gibson models are included for the first time: the SG-100 and SG-200 six string guitars and the SB-300 and SB-400 basses.
1968 Selmer guitar catalogueScan of 1968/1969 Selmer guitar catalogue (printed July 1968), showing the entire range of electric and acoustic guitars distributed by the company: guitars by Hofner, Gibson, Selmer and Giannini. Selmer were the exclusive United Kingdom distributors of Hofner and Gibson at the time, and this catalogue contains a total of 18 electric guitars, 7 bass guitars, 37 acoustics, and 2 Hawaiian guitars - all produced outside the UK and imported by Selmer, with UK prices included in guineas. This catalogue saw the (re-)introduction of the late sixties Gibson Les Paul Custom and Les Paul Standard (see page 69) and the short-lived Hofner Club 70. Other electric models include: HOFNER ELECTRICS: Committee, Verithin 66, Ambassador, President, Senator, Galaxie, HOFNER BASSES: Violin bass, Verithin bass, Senator bass, Professional bass GIBSON ELECTRICS: Barney Kessel, ES-330TD, ES-335TD, ES-345TD, ES-175D, ES-125CD, SG Standard, SG Junior, SG Special GIBSON BASSES: EB-0, EB-2, EB-3 - plus a LOT of acoustics branded Gibson, Hofner, Selmer and Giannini
1961 Hofner Colorama IHofner Colorama was the name UK distributor Selmer gave to a series of solid and semi-solid guitars built by Hofner for distribution in the UK. The construction and specifications of the guitars varied over the period of production, but by 1961 it was a totally solid, double cutaway instrument, with a set neck, translucent cherry finish, six-in-a-row headstock, and Hofner Diamond logo pickups. Available as a single or dual pickup guitar, this sngle pickup version would have been sold in mainland Europe as the Hofner 161.
1971 Commodore N25 (Matsumoku)Commodore was a brand applied to a series of guitars produced in Japan at the well-respected Matsumoku plant from the late 1960s to the mid 1970s - and sold primarily (perhaps exclusively?) in the United Kingdom. The models bearing the Commodore name were all guitars available from different distributors with different branding. Although there may have been some minor changes in appointments (specifically headstock branding) most had the same basic bodies, hardware and construction. Equivalent models to the Commodore N25 (and this is by no means an exhaustive list) include the Aria 5102T, Conrad 5102T(?), Electra 2221, Lyle 5102T, Ventura V-1001, Univox Coily - and most famously the Epiphone 5102T / Epiphone EA-250.
1960 Hofner Colorama IIThe Hofner Colorama was the name given by Selmer to a series of solid (and semi-solid) body Hofner guitars distributed in the United Kingdom between 1958 and 1965. The Colorama name actually applied to some quite different guitars over the period, but in 1960 it was a very light, semi-solid, set necked guitar with one (Colorama I) or two (Colorama II, as seen here) Toaster pickups. Although an entry-level guitar, it was very well-built, and a fine playing guitar; certainly a step up (at least in terms of craftsmanship) from many of the Colorama guitars that would follow, and a good deal of the guitars available in Britain circa 1960.
1971 Epiphone 1820 (ET-280) bassBy the end of the 1960s, a decision had been made to move Epiphone guitar production from the USA (at the Kalamazoo plant where Gibson guitars were made), to Matsumoto in Japan, creating a line of guitars and basses significantly less expensive than the USA-built models (actually less than half the price). The Matsumoku factory had been producing guitars for export for some time, but the 1820 bass (alongside a number of guitar models and the 5120 electric acoustic bass) were the first Epiphone models to be made there. These new Epiphones were based on existing Matsumoku guitars, sharing body shapes, and hardware, but the Epiphone line was somewhat upgraded, with inlaid logos and a 2x2 peghead configuration. Over the course of the 70s, the Japanese output improved dramatically, and in many ways these early 70s models are a low point for the brand. Having said this, there are a lot worse guitars out there, and as well as being historically important, the 1820 bass can certainly provide the goods when required.
1981 Gibson MarauderProduction of Bill Lawrence's Gibson Marauder began in 1974, with production peaking in 1978. But by 1980 the model was officially discontinued, though very small numbers slipped out as late as spring 1981. Over 7000 examples shipped between 1974 and 1979, and although no totals are available for 1980 and 1981, it is unlikely production reached three figures in either of these years. These final Marauders were all assembled at the Gibson Nashville plant, and had some nice features not available through the later years of production, such as a rosewood fretboard, and in this case, an opaque 'Devil Red' finish. It's a great looking and fine playing guitar!